• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fedora Core 1 Freezes during install/after install...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

So I decided I'd try linux again for millionth time (I don't give up I guess), and this time I decided I'd use Fedora Core 1.

Anyways, so I start the install process, I get through the text-only portion of it, it says "Loading anaconda", detects my GFx card, monitor, and mouse, I get a white screen with black mouse, I can move the mouse around for a few seconds (and mess with the numlock on the keyboard) then it will just freeze. I tried booting with the nodetect option but that didn't stop it from freezing. I eventually just installed using the text option (I didn't mind it though).

After the install if finsihed I reboot, (while repartitoining my main drive I forgot to set the partition I installed Linux on as bootable so I pop in System Rescue CD (which I used to resize my NTFS partition and setup my Linux partitions), go into fdisk, set bootable, save and exit, reboot), I select Fedora from the GRUB menu, it starts booting (Linux doesn't seem to like my SATA controller, it constantly complains about a corrupted partition table on my WD 80gig drive, even though it's perfectly fine under Windows), I get to the graphical boot, I expand the "More details" option, and watch it boot. It gets to the firstboot item and then it freezes (firstboot never finishes running).

So nothing works (not even the numlock key), I hit reset, I select Fedora, it boots, launches the graphica boot thingy for a second, then it complains that it didn't shut down right, I check the root partition (ext3, reports 0.2% non-contiguous), it then proceeds to get to the initializing swap partition (or something like that) and freezes after that finishes.

Can anyone tell me how I can get it to stop freezing? I'm not a total n00b to Linux (I can make my way around the commandline fine, probably better than I can the GUI, and I know what most of the root directories are for) so theres no need to dumb anything down too much. Also, I need to run System Rescue CD with the nodetect option or it will freeze while detecting the eth16i network module.

Back