• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/cing experience w/ the N2U400-A (nForce2 Ultra400)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, i found something...

it´s possible to overclock, but have some limits, no vcore and multiplier ajustments...

Yea, I've got one.In fact, I was wondering since the bios has no vcore adjustment, if I do the wire trick on the cpu to increase the voltage, will it work? I have a xp2600 Barton in there, I would like to get a little more out of!!

Is your barton locked? What date was it made? I think they are locked after week 39 of last year and if so you can't use the wire mod.

yup, no vcore or mult adjust.

but that didnt' stop me from running my barton @ 11 x 200 = 3200+

also, you could use the wire mod (google: amd pin mod) and increase the vcore from 1.65v -> 1.85v (be aware, this is the ONLY vcore you can mod to)

there is a agp/pci lock so you dont need to worry

i was also messing around w/ a 2600+ and got it to 11.5 x 204 @ 1.85v

I have this board too and a Barton 2500+. I could boot into Windows at 11 x 200 but I got errors after just a few minutes of Prime95 Torture Test. 195 x 11 also gave me an error after about an hour of torture testing. I am currently running 192 x 11 which is 100% stable. Much more seems to require the vcore pin mod.

My relatively cheap ram (and no vdimm options) does not allow me to run with tight latency timings but since high T(RAS) settings are known to give a slight performance increase on nForce2 boards (11 is often optimal) I thought I would give it a try. Not possible. There is a bug in the BIOS. T(RAS)=11 is saved as T(RAS)=3. T(RAS)=10 is saved as T(RAS)=2. So I'm stuck with the SPD default 2.5-3-3-8.

Btw. I have read that BIOS 1.0a should be slightly faster than 1.0b (which I'm using). However, I don't think I'll dare a flash until the next BIOS is released (but let's hope that happens shortly). After all the BIOS chip is soldered to the mainboard so a bad flash would be fatal...

Anyway, I still think this board offes great performance for the 50 € I payed for it. But hardcore overclockers should probably look elsewhere. ;)

good observation Emerpus, i also noticed that TRAS 11 was changing to 3 :)

i'm using buffalo pc3200 @ 2.5-3-3-7

i also noticed that running cpu/mem at async won't let me boot up, but that could just be me...

this IS an o/cer's mobo, its up to the xtreme o/cer to do the tweaks ;)

I guess you're right AkumaX - real hardcore overclockers do hardmods. ;) Speaking of this, does anyone know how to do vcore or vdimm hardmods on this board? I can't seem to find any guides...

I have not tried running fsb/mem async since that always results in poor performance on nForce2 boards as far as I know. Too bad it is not stable anyway.

Another observation: When fsb/mem is sync'ed (Memory Frequency set to Auto or 100%) the resulting mem frecuency shows 1 Mhz too low on the bootup screen for som fsb frequencies (e.g. 191 MHz when fsb is set to 192 MHz). This is merely a slight blemish though.

i remember i saw a while ago how someone soldered wires to the bottom of the mobo to a switch w/ 5 switches, he was controlling mults that way (i think he did one for vcore too)

just try the wiremod, i bet you could do 11x200+ ez if you had your vcore up :) (my mobo undervolted from 1.85 to 1.82 when i did the wiremod)

as for the bios always being off by 1mhz, it is a blemish, but i see it happen all the time in a lot of mobos, so ehhhhhhhh...

i just threw in a 2400-m and it read the cpu w/ a 6x mult!!! so now i'm at 6 x 210 = 1260 -> ~1500+ :p

will experiment to get back to the default 13.5, but will also try to alter path to 12x w/ single wire

Back