• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 Mod Really Does Raise Fsb Up 20+ Mhz!!![Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hurtz777

Registered
Retired Sticky

Well I was getting very frustrated because I hit a FSB wall on my NF7-S Rev 2 board at 213 FSB synced with CPU Interface Disabled. So I decided to join pin AH30 and the closest ground pin by inserting a thing strand of telephone wire into the socket's pins. I booted up and went into bios and set it to "LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS". I saved and exited and it booted as a 166FSB XP 1700+ @ 1750!!! After this I decide to go back into bios and crank the FSB and see if this mod really works. I got it to boot into Windows as high as 233 X 10.5 synced with CPU Interface Disabled. The only problem of course was performance and stability at that speed.

Before the mod it wouldn't even post at 215FSB. Right now I am ROCK P95 and 3Dmark stable at 216 X 11 = 2376mhz @ 1.775 vcore with CPU Interface Enabled. I can't go any higher with CPU Interface Enabled because P95 will LOCK UP. I know it is my Corsair PC3200 RAM holding me back at this point. I am just thankful it is doing PC3500 speeds though @ 11-3-3-2.5 timings @ 2.8VDIMM. I tested at 228 FSB with CPU Interface disabled and the memory scores inSandra were the same as 216 X 11 with CPU Interface Enabled so that is why I have decided to stay at 216FSB with CPU Interface Enabled(Enables tighter latency between chipset, CPU, and RAM).

All in all by doing this L12 MOD which turned my XP1700+ 133FSB CPU to a XP1700+ 166FSB CPU, I have gained 10 more synced FSB mhzs with CPU Interface Enabled and about 20 or so more synced FSB with CPU Interface Disabled. Right now it is my RAM that is holding me back from reaching probably 233 and beyond!!!

I would highly recommend any to do this easy L12 MOD to make their 133FSB CPUs into 166FSB CPUs if theya re using the Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 boards and have a low FSB wall. Just go here to find out which 2 pins you will need to jumper either on the underside of the cpu with a thin telephone wire strand, or like I did and just jumper the corresponding pin holes in the motherboard's socket which only took me 3 minutes and of course is completely removable with no irreversible modification to the CPU.

I would like to thank xigfrid over at xtremesystems.org for this L12 MOD advice. You can read more about this L12 mod by go to Extremesystems.org L12 Mod Thread . Remember the L12 MOD is working if after you do it and go into bios and set "LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS" save and exit and it boots up at it's default multiplier times 166FSB rather then 133FSB. By the way I am using BIOS 1.7 with no problems at all and no OCing difference from BIOS 1.0 - 1.6. Please post your results of this L12 MOD in your setup and GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont get it...are u modding the cpu or the socket ? i have a 2100+ Tbred-B, which bridge on the L12 should i close?

tekkism,

I modded the actual socket with a small strand of telephone wire. I just made a "C" shape with the wire and stuck it in the two corresponding socket pin holes that I got from here . Try it out and enjoy high FSB once and for all!

omg i just did it and it works! im at 2700+ speed now at default. my comp is now at 225fsb x 10.5= 2.37ghz. Memory's still needs some oc'ing but i'll leave that alone for now... here's some sandra specs...

memory%20oc%207-3-3-2.5.JPG

oc%20scores%202.37ghz.JPG

paragraphs would make that less likely to give headaches... other than that nice thread :).

hurtz777......i just been reading your post and i just gave it ago
and baby this does work, my default is 166fsb now:)
and before could never ever get above 230 fsb and run prime stable for more than 30 seconds. now its at 231fsb and prime is running like a trooper, for about 30mins
i think it will go alot more........thanks

@ 235fsb stable now

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you put the thin strand of wire between the AH30 pin and the nearest ground? Also, you cut open a telephone cord to get the wire? I'm going to give it a try tomorrow!

Hound,

Thats correct. I would advise just putting a the small strand of telephone cord wire in the motherboards socket. It is much easier then trying to tie it around the CPU's small pins. ;-) GOOD LUCK and post your results here.

whats a 2700 thoroughbred B at to start with?

i have nf7-s v2 board and this cpu waiting to go in it once i recieve the rest of my parts ( building all at once)

so will ined to do L12 bridge3 on he board or is the board COMPLETELY unlocked?

2700+ speed at stock is 2.17ghz. considering mine was a 2100+ @ 1.73ghz stock, and its 133fsb x 13 multi, 166fsb x 13 multi would equal to about 2.17ghz (2.158 to be exact) sooo it works :)

Ok, I just did the mod and the results are not good... I am wondering if something went wrong. I have a 2100+ like tekkism. Before the mod I hit a wall at 205 FSB. I used a strand of copper telephone wire to connect the AH30 to the nearest ground in the CPU socket. Afterwards, I cleared the CMOS, booted and it detected the CPU as a 2700+ (166X13). I guess this means that it worked? Unfortunately, it is acting very unstable no matter what settings I try with it (different RAM timings, CPU interface enabled/disabled). Initially it was working fine and booted at 210 and 215 FSB. It failed Prime 95 in the first 10 seconds, and after I went back down to my original stable settings, it was quite unstable and sometimes wouldn't boot to Windows (giving the annoying alarm at boot a few times). Anyway, I guess I will take the L12 wire out unless someone has any ideas... I'm pretty shocked at the result considering many people have had good success with this.

yeah, prime95 never runs for me anyways. But my ram timing is like 11-3-3-2.5 and cpu interface is enabled. For some reason i can't boot to XP w/ a speed over 2.4ghz...is ur APIC enabled or disabled??

Ok, I reseated the CPU and it is stable again. Unfortunately, I am still stuck at 205 FSB. I 'loaded optimized defaults' after I reseated it, and it showed again as a 2700 (166x13), so I'm pretty sure the mod worked. But, there is no performance difference compared to having the CPU at 133 default.

Back