• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

regretting this purchase of a radeon 8500...help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ucfswimmer

well i just installed my new 128mb radeon 8500le, reinstalled windows xp and the only mode it detcted was 640x480 2 4bit color....so i did the windows update, rebooted..then installed the drivers off the cd..rebotted..still the same..then i downloaded and loaded the newest catalyst drivers off of ati's site, rebooted and STILL the same...

it says its not detcting the card under the drivers...really weird...

ive got a gigabyte ga-6bx7 mobo with an intel 440bx chipset..
2 10gb samsung hdd in a raid 0 stripe
celeron 800 @ 1064 cpu
sblive sound card

cant think of what else..id really appreciate some help with this problem..im drooling to start playing neverwinter nights...

~jeff~

Last edited:
have you triend deleting all traces of your ati drivers, and then powering down, and reseating the card? that usually works for me

tried that, no good...this is really ****ing me off...if this is a problem with their drivers and my chipset or some issue like that then im going to be really ****ed off at ati, and that will be my end dealing with their products...

ive done some investigating and it appears there is a memory conflcit???

windows is detetcing the radeon 8500le as a display adapter under device manager...when right click and go into properties, it says there is a CODE 12..

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

then i view resources by type...and see that my card is using D0000000 to DFFFFFFF

but then my 'Intel 82443BX Pentium(r) II Processor to AGP Controller' is using memory D8000000 to E7FFFFFF which would mean there is a conflict there? correct? well i cant uninstall my agp controller and expect my agp card to work, right? so what the hell do i do? can i change what memory my card uses? or does this just mean that this chipset and this card and incompatible? there has to be a solution...

Maybe these two BIOS options help:
1) assign IRQ to VGA
2) ACPI on/off. With ACPI "on" enable also Plug and play OS setting in BIOS . With WinXP ACPI works great with 815 chipset. BX is almost the same. But if this doesn't help try with ACPI and "PnP OS" disabled. After changing ACPI status in BIOS, it is recommended to reinstall OS.

ACPI enabled - allows the OS to share resources.
ACPI disabled - BIOS determins how to share resources

i have assign irq to vga set to enabled..have had this on the whole time...ive also had it in my bios set to PnP bios installed "set to yes i guess".,..i dont have any options in my bios to enable or disable ACPI...if i PNP OS set to NO, then i have to reinstall everything AGAIN? i guess ill try that, but are there any other bios settings i should be aware of or anything else i can try? this is sooo frustrating..

thanks,

~jeff~

change PnP setting to "no" and don't reinstall OS. Boot to OS and see what happens. Maybe nothing because XP reassigns resources but maybe not.

Open device manager and look under "computer"
Is there:

Advanced Configuration and Power Inetrface (ACPI) PC or
Standard PC. Try to update the driver to ACPI (driver is on XP disk)

I looked my BIOS and there is also no option how to chandge it. My previous mb had it. Search the manual, maybe it will help.

There is an option in the beginning of the XP installation to press F2 (maybe sth else, don't remember) when "press F6 to install SCSI driver" or sth like that is displayed. It will bring up menu where You can choose ACPI or Standard PC. This way it is more reliable than changing the ACPI driver under OS.

Search www.ocworkbench.com forum especially threads about ECS mb-s. Once I had ECS mb and learnt alot about ACPI and resource assigning but I have forgotten also alot.
I hope You will get Your card to work. Unfortunately I have to leave my computer now for 3 days.

Good luck

still nothing, and i know now more than ever that this is a resource conflict problem with the memory...ive disabled every type of video and system cache in my bios..ive put my agp aperture size from 4mb to 256mb all with the same result...this radeon keeps wanting to use the same memory that my agp controller is using...i have an intel 440bx chipset so the agp controller drivers are located with windows xp..(agp440.sys)...there is no newer version of this driver out...my motherboard's website has nothing...ati's website has nothing..microsoft's website has nothing...and intel's website has nothing. ive found many other people who have had the same problem with intel boards, an agp card and this file agp440.sys...not many of them have figured out how to fix it...i think i've tried everything, and im really starting to get PO'd now...i knew i shouldn't have bought an ati product when an nvidia card was working fine...grrr...does anybody know anything about resource conflicts or how i can allocate memory manually in windows xp? or anything else to try? thanks for the advice kraanul...and to everyone else whos helping..

~jeff~

Have you tried shooting it with a 12 guage?

Bro, don't want to make ya mad but ATI is notoriuos for this kinda stuff. Send it back and get a GF4. I have owned 3 Geforce cards and have NEVER had a single problem.

krag said:

Bro, don't want to make ya mad but ATI is notoriuos for this kinda stuff. Send it back and get a GF4. I have owned 3 Geforce cards and have NEVER had a single problem.

thats a bit much.

I had the same problem but i found a solution! Is it a OEM version? If so you need to download the "Powered by ATI" (reference) drivers and not the "Built by ATI" drivers.

I bought a radeon 7500 w/64 mb ddr from newegg and it was giving me the same thing. Drivers is not comptiable with the hardware or something of the sort. Including the driver from the CD that newegg sent me. But once i tried the "powered by ATI" driver it worked fine

krag said:

You're gonna pay for that remark! Fellow Washingtonian, I can't believe you! :mad:

You're gonna pay for that remark! Fellow Washingtonian, I can't believe you!

Don't believe me then. Go ahead and keep getting brainwashed by the ATI driver scientists or are they rockett scientists (I doubt it) HAW,HAW! Radeon...smaedeon!

krag said:

Don't believe me then. Go ahead and keep getting brainwashed by the ATI driver scientists or are they rockett scientists (I doubt it) HAW,HAW! Radeon...smaedeon!
im under the impression that youve never owned a ati card. correct me if im wrong. i have my reasons for getting a nvidia this time around but it certainly was not a clear cut and easy thing to figure out

Ok pal believe it or not I have been to Vancouver before so I know the way there...

I will admit that some of the driver revisions have had serious problems. It's been like that for both the original Radeon and the 8500. But eventually they get it right. I'm very happy with the current drivers and I have loved both of my cards.

Any more lip and we're taking this to the parking lot... err, PM box!!! :D

though this doesnt help you in your current dilema i thought i would speak up in ATI's defense hehe.
I have a radeon 7500 AIW, 8500 AIW and a geforce 4 ti4200. have not had a single problem with any of them as far as installation and setup....
the ATI cards do everything that was promised by ATI plus some i didnt know about until i got to know em a bit.
sure there are better cards for gaming but for the money you cant beat the combination of a good gaming card AND the multimedia functions.

Back