• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added a few more fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I have made use of a few fans that I had laying around to try and increase the airflow in my case.

I removed the standard Coolermaster 120mm fan from the rear of the case, and fitted it down in front of the drive bay, where I had originally mounted the Coolermaster silent blue LED fan - this is an intake fan

I then removed the blanking plates for the 5.25" drive bays, and zip strapped the 120mm LED fan in place - this is also an intake fan:
IMG_0173-1.jpg

Lit up:
IMG_0175-1.jpg

Lit up in the dark:
IMG_0176-2.jpg

I took the Zalman 120mm fan off of the CNPS10x Quiet, that I had bought and then found wouldnt fit with 4 RAM modules, and mounted that at the rear of the case where the original Coolermaster fan went, acting as an exhaust fan.

I then zip strapped an 80mm Akasa LED fan from a CPU cooler to the side of the case to act as an exhaust fan for the GPU cooler.
IMG_0177-1.jpg

Am quite happy now :)

I also cleaned the CPU TIM off and applied Antec Formula 5 Silver compound.

I am waiting for the compound to break-in - but so far temps seem to be roughly 5c lower than they were before :)

If I set all the fans to 100%, I can get the CPU to idle at roughly 25c

But I am using speedfan to control some of the fans (only CPU and one power connector on the board allows the speed to be changed) and the others are being controlled by Zalman FanMates.

Shiney =) I just attached one onto the back of the HDD cage and on in the optical intake like you have.

1 thing. Your 80mm on the side, shouldn't that be an intake? I thought all GPUs exhaust is by the DVI slots?

Most do, but mine is a Gigabyte one which didn't :( plus it's fan was only a 2 pin so was on 100% all the time = noisy. I replaced it with a nice big Zalman one, which has a 3 pin, it still blows heat into the case though. I have both the Zalman GPU, and the 80mm connected to the same fanmate, so I can change their speeds at the same time. I have the front case fan on another fanmate set to about 800rpm, and then the other two at the top of the case running off the speed controllable motherboard socket and then controlled with speedfan :)

I've wanted to do the same with my cosmos 1000, but have been reluctant about dust coming in from the front. I only have 1 intake, the bottom fan, and dust from that along with dog and cat hair has be cleaning every week.

I know there are good dust filters, but they also seem to decrease the air flow.

Have the fans decreased your temps by a good margin, or just a few ticks here and there??

Not by a huge amount to be honest - mostly idle temps are lower, prime95 torture test seems to give the same temp

I have a similar setup with a 120mm Antec tri-cool fan in the front of my Antec P180 case. However, I was too lazy to zip-tie it down so it's just standing there surrounded by foam blocks on all sides.

Back