• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best non-logitech gaming mouse for a finger aimer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I'm pretty behind the times as far out gaming mice go and need to replace my G5. Why no logitech? Because ever since I switched to windows 7 my G5 has been robbing me of frames in FEAR multiplayer where it didn't in xp. It starts out fine but my fps steadily drop until it feels like I'm gaming with onboard video. I know about disabling human interface device but I don't want to have to do that. I also tried an mx518 and it had the same issue to a lesser degree but didn't show it in fraps. It says I'm over 300fps most of the time but it feels like I'm using the fraps video record feature that locks you to 30fps. I bought an Ikari optical which has no problems at all and is made to work without drivers which I love. It also tracks extremely well, very very smooth and accurate. Unfortunately I can't get used to the shape. It's too wide at the bottom and tapers too much towards the top without enough to grab on to when you want to pick it up. I'll be playing an fps multi player and spin around to the left or right and reach the edge of the mouse pad. When I try to pick up the ikari and go back to the middle of the pad it wants to squeeze out of my hand because of the smooth grade on the sides. It's ok if I hold it like a full handed shoulder aimer with my palm on the top of the mouse but I prefer to be able to rest my wrist on the edge of the desk and move the mouse in any direction with my fingers. I need something as small or maybe a little smaller than the g5\mx518 with at least one side button and a size\shape well suited to finger aiming. Thanks!

If it had a side button it would be a good choice. I'm thinking about the death adder but not sure how big it is compared to the g5. A tiny bit shorter than the g5 would be perfect.

have you tried updating your mouse drivers?
you could try the:
Coolermaster Cm Storm Sentinal (looks pretty bling)
Microsoft Sidewinder
Saitek Cyborg
and the numerous Razer mouses
just a few suggestions :thup:

and pulled of the Razer website:
Approx. size in mm: 128(L) x 70(W) x 42.5(H)
and Logitech G5
Approx. size in mm: 130(L) x 67(W) x 45(H)

If that's the size of the deathadder it sounds perfect. And I don't use drivers but the problem was there with and without the latest version.

ok, I had to google finger aim mouse. That thing looks awfully bizarre. I'll stick to my trackball. :eek:

... What is a finger aiming mouse? The cool term for gaming mouse these days?

What is a finger aiming mouse? The cool term for gaming mouse these days?

It's how you grip the mouse. Some people use their whole hand, palm resting on the body of the mouse, while others just use their fingertips (also sometimes referred to as a 'claw' grip). Some mice are better for the former (like the larger Logitechs, for example), while others are better for the latter.

Personally, I'm of the latter type. I still use an old-school Intellimouse 1.1, never really found anything I liked better.

Personally, FEAR hasn't gotten along with Vista or W7. With a Microsoft X8 mouse.
I really like the game but it doesn't play on my systems unless it's XP.
Maybe a 64 bit issue?
I think we have a thread on this FEAR issue somewhere here on these forums.
I've read where if you disable some of the usb devices it should solve the problem, but I recently installed the game, disabled the devices, and still had the problem.
Good luck if you can get it to play.

I got the Deathadder in yesterday and so far I love it. It's JUST short enough to allow some space to finger aim to a decent degree and JUST big enough to put your whole hand on it and aim with your arm. And best of all.......NO LAG IN WIN & 64 BIT WITH FEAR. I also like the Razer drivers. Everything you need is in one little window and you can adjust the sensitivity in increments as small as you need with a slider. You can set it to 3500 dpi and put the sensitivity way down so it feels totally normal. The feel of the mouse is just right for me and is very easy to pick up and set down repeatedly without having to hold it JUST RIGHT or accidentally hitting a side button. Very very nice. The only thing I miss is having the dpi switch on top of the mouse for easy access in game. I've finally found the one:thup::thup::thup::thup:

I am happy with my g9 feels solid and indestructible the sensitivity is high enough tracks well, but will buy a razer orochi as soon as it reaches these shores, seems like the ideal mouse for me with their new mobile mousepad.
I wish they wouldn't take half a year to release their products here after the US, if they release it at all with their reduced product line here.

I got the Deathadder in yesterday and so far I love it. It's JUST short enough to allow some space to finger aim to a decent degree and JUST big enough to put your whole hand on it and aim with your arm. And best of all.......NO LAG IN WIN & 64 BIT WITH FEAR. I also like the Razer drivers. Everything you need is in one little window and you can adjust the sensitivity in increments as small as you need with a slider. You can set it to 3500 dpi and put the sensitivity way down so it feels totally normal. The feel of the mouse is just right for me and is very easy to pick up and set down repeatedly without having to hold it JUST RIGHT or accidentally hitting a side button. Very very nice. The only thing I miss is having the dpi switch on top of the mouse for easy access in game. I've finally found the one:thup::thup::thup::thup:
Wow.. No lag?
I must try that mouse out then.
Ya know, maybe I'll reinstall Fear and try it with my Wolfking Trooper mouse.
So far I've tried it with the g9, mx518, g5, and X8. All with the same result on Vista and Win7.

Thanks Brando.
Tried my Wolfking Trooper.
It's fine as wine now :clap:

I did try my g9 and X8 again and got the same drop in performance like before. Funny it was all due to a in-compatibility in mice.

NP dude it seems to be something about the way logitech makes their mice since it still happened without setpoint drivers installed. The problem wasn't there with the ikari optical or the deathadder so boooooooo logitech. I have no idea why their mice lag FEAR but it's definitely there.

thats weird
your talking about lag between clicking and it actually doing something correct?
luckily i havent had that problem.

Back