• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOTES Sockets explode as well, not only foxconn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gwar2288

http://outofspecs.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=3094

Post #12
The relevant Pictures of a Evga P55 FTW (You know, the one with the Holier than Thou LOTES socket) and a i7 860.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Interesting thread title.....why the aggresion? :(

Good find, though I cant get it to translate at all. First Lotes socket I have seen cooked! Though it appears its up at 1.57 - 1.64v as well...extreme cooling.

EDIT: But later in the thread AFTER it was 'burned' he was running 4.99Ghz at 1.599v.....and 5Ghz+ at 1.64v????
http://outofspecs.gr/forum/showpost.php?p=36656&postcount=23

Last edited:
That was due to user error not a design flaw, it still looks better than the burned Foxconn sockets I've seen.

Interesting..

I dont really see the big deal. Tho I can see it being a problem.. Ive seen products from both intel and amd, high end and low end have electrical problems over the years.. Not so much in the cpu socket area, but in other "just as critical" spots. It just so happens this type of problem perhaps is brought on by user error, rather then it being an electrical design fault..

It could also be the apparently reduced number of current-carrying pins. Fewer pins + similar power requirements (at very high overclocks) could = cinged electrodes, very easily.

Seriously guys...user error? It's pretty hard to put one of these CPUs in incorrectly. I mean REALLY hard. You'd have to either break the CPU PCB or bend the loadplate if it were in wrong. Inserting these things is not rocket science. It may not be a flaw with the socket so much as too few pins to transfer the amount of current, but it's very doubtful this is user error. It also can't really be considered too few pins...at stock this would never happen. Only when running out of spec does such a thing occur.

Last edited:
I see what you guys are saying, I was just thinking maybe 1 side was clamped down more then another causeing the cpu to rock in its socket.. I did not realise the requirements are as similar as they are, I should have known better lol :D

I need some food.

Can you support that statement?

Sorry for the poor choice of words. I meant in the sense that he went over the safety voltage limit set by Intel. I'm still a noob, but I thought it is recommended to keep the voltage under 1.45V on a LGA 1156 socket?

Sorry for the poor choice of words. I meant in the sense that he went over the safety voltage limit set by Intel. I'm still a noob, but I thought it is recommended to keep the voltage under 1.45V on a LGA 1156 socket?

Yes. And you know when Foxconn Sockets exploded? When people were pumping large voltages through them!

Sorry...I have no empathy. If you buy a CPU designed to run at 2.66, if it runs at 2.66 with stability, who can you cry to? You can't go back and scream "defect" when you are running massive amounts of voltage trying to push the hardware. You overclock...you roll the dice. Your CPU frys, you buy another. I really doubt that Intel's safety zone is designed for overclockers in mind. Tell Intel that you ran 1.6v through an I5 and I guarantee the warranty reject button will be hit faster than you can fathom.

Yes. And you know when Foxconn Sockets exploded? When people were pumping large voltages through them!

If that's the case then extreme overclockers will lose out and have no CPU's to test.

Intel states the limits for their CPU voltages!

Sorry...I have no empathy. If you buy a CPU designed to run at 2.66, if it runs at 2.66 with stability, who can you cry to? You can't go back and scream "defect" when you are running massive amounts of voltage trying to push the hardware. You overclock...you roll the dice. Your CPU frys, you buy another. I really doubt that Intel's safety zone is designed for overclockers in mind. Tell Intel that you ran 1.6v through an I5 and I guarantee the warranty reject button will be hit faster than you can fathom.

Oh I agree, I am just sick of all the "omg Foxconn are t3h ghey" that has been crawling about the interwebs lately :beer:

High over clocking is not the only way these sockets are getting blown up or burnt.There is an article I read over at THG. If I remember correctly, it stated that at voltage less than 1.4v they noticed areas turning black and burning after 1000 hours of use. In the article there is mention of some pins not aligning properly to the grid. Others reviewers say it was the foxconn socket, others say it is because of the reduce pin count etc. All in all I wouldnt consider buying the 1156 today. There is just too much problem with it and a year from now I wouldn't want to risk malfunction and frying other system components due to their mistakes.

Supposedly Intel is working on a newer revision B and C of this socket.

@ gwar - But that was the issue initially. It was only Foxconn sockets that were publicly having the issue until you saw that other thread and posted this one here. Like Anand's article regarding the Foxconn socket stated, this will likely only affect the extreme (meaning post water) overclockers with extreme type voltages. Now we have one public posting of it happening to a Lotes socket.

Have there been any public threads about this happening with air/water overclocks?

I have been having a great discussing with Chew on this via PM and now I must admit that I am leaning towards his side of the tracks in not even reccomending this socket until at least a lot more time goes by to see if normal overclocks start cooking the sockets. Mad respect for Chew, and Im not trying to minimize his opinion at all, but I would like a larger cross section of 'expert' opinions on this matter. It would help in getting an even more accurate big picture of the issue.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, I am just sick of all the "omg Foxconn are t3h ghey" that has been crawling about the interwebs lately :beer:

Heh I never blamed foxcon from the getgo, I never blamed lotes either. I think the problem has always lied with the 1156 power scheme.

Foxconn sockets seemed to get trashed rather hard when it happens, the "unreported" info i have seen on lotes has been like the above picture deformed or blackened cpu pads and slightly discolored contact pins but no sockets melting.

Technically you can't blame intel from a stock consumer stand point but you can for marketing something as a budget ocing setup.

The real question is going to be if these are so short fused in the extreme ocing department, whats going to happen to average joes a year from now or even the air/water guys with moderate OC's?

1366 and 920 DO is still the best bang for buck intel setup I will reccomend.

Bottom line it's proven.

EDIT- I do find it rather odd the way that particular socket above burned....more importantly where it burned.

Last edited:
Heh I never blamed foxcon from the getgo, I never blamed lotes either. I think the problem has always lied with the 1156 power scheme.

Technically you can't blame intel from a stock consumer stand point but you can for marketing something as a budget ocing setup.

The real question is going to be if these are so short fused in the extreme ocing department, whats doing to happen to average joes a year from now or even the air/water guys with moderate OC's?

1366 and 920 DO is still the best bang for buck intel setup I will reccomend.

Bottom line it's proven.

The average Joe could run with a 1156/i series set up and never run into any problems. Why hasn't any of the manufacturers done a recall?

It's only HAPPENING with EXTREME OVERCLOCKERS going beyond Intel's SPECS for this CPU! How hard is it for us to understand that fact?

Also as far as I'm concerned my rig is holding up well with it's Lotes sockets!

Back