• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] Deal of the Week: Intel Core2Duo E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
Deal of the Week: Intel Core2Duo E8400
by splat

Still one of the most popluar chips on the market today.

AMD launched 8 new low power processors this week which normally has some effect on the market prices of other processors. In general, processor prices seem to be dropping, but this launch result in no significant changes in prices. Still, there are some excellent choices for overclockers at great prices out there. One of them is the Intel Core2Duo E8400.

Click here to continue reading.​

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
splat

i bought this chip a year and a half ago, and its only dropped around 60$ , that tells you its a damn fine product.

It certainly still is a nice chip but this isn't a huge deal or anything, I got it for $165 almost a year ago. For someone on an original generation C2D, if they haven't got a good clocker it is worth a thought but I'd pick up a used one in that case :)

The old price the article quotes is misleading IMO. When the E8400 was launched, back in January of 2008, I think the OEM list price was $183 for orders of 1,000+ units. However, that was well below the actual street and retail pricing. Nobody was buying one that cheaply back then.

I purchased my E8400 at the end of January '08 from a Microcenter. At the time, a good price on a retail boxed chip was $230-240. I paid $199 in what was considered at the time to be an insane bargain, and I still consider it to be a good value.

right, the price mentioned was the 1000 unit price.

e8400 is nowhere near being a deal with a i5 750 retailing for 200 dollars or athlon 620 retailing for 99 $ or athlon 250 retailing for 70 dollars .

e8400 is nowhere near being a deal with a i5 750 retailing for 200 dollars or athlon 620 retailing for 99 $ or athlon 250 retailing for 70 dollars .

Well, if you consider that many people are using a socket 775 mobo, then the E8400 is a way less expensive upgrade for them. That's really the point. For sure if someone is looking to buy the works (CPU, mobo & memory) then it is wiser to pursue one of the options you mentioned. But that doesn't make it the right choice for everyone.

Back