• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5850's are out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now it's the waiting game for me. I'm just waiting for Newegg to send it to me.

It hasn't shipped yet. It's in the processing period. At least my credit card hasn't been charged yet. I'm hoping to have it on Tuesday afternoon. Damn those weekends! :)

Last edited:
Ditto with ZipZoomFly, according to customer service they expect to have them in stock and shipped next week. Crossing my fingers for Monday. I've got an Accelero S1 and some ramsinks ready and waiting for it. :D

Ditto with ZipZoomFly, according to customer service they expect to have them in stock and shipped next week. Crossing my fingers for Monday. I've got an Accelero S1 and some ramsinks ready and waiting for it. :D

You've got Accelero S1 and ramsinks ready? WOW! That's sweet. Your rig is gonna rock.

Touch base with me next week when you get it. We both know this card is gonna be a kick *** product. :)

Ahh.. I can't see nvidia die like this! Nvidia have been awesome for ages!

anyway, ATI is on a roll. Looks like they'll be number 1 for some time I reckon.

i am trying to hold out for another month before grabbing a 5850 >_< I'm not sure either cards would fit in my case...

Ahh.. I can't see nvidia die like this! Nvidia have been awesome for ages!

anyway, ATI is on a roll. Looks like they'll be number 1 for some time I reckon.

the 300 series is still not out - so sure the 5850 destroys the last gen geforces this generation is still up for grabs :) its just NVIDIA are a little slower off the mark

and personally in my mind its the DX11 cards that are in competition not DX11 vs 10 cards

the 300 series is still not out - so sure the 5850 destroys the last gen geforces this generation is still up for grabs :) its just NVIDIA are a little slower off the mark

and personally in my mind its the DX11 cards that are in competition not DX11 vs 10 cards

Why am I the only person that gets this?

Here's the problem with waiting for the G300-

1) You have no idea how much faster or how much it will even cost. It could be 15% faster than the HD5870, with a price tag of $499.99. Still worth it?

2) There will be NO mid-range G300 video-cards. Do you remember what happened with the G200 series cards? Yeah that GTS 250 was a real doozy. Oh wait...

3) By the time the G300 will launch, ATI will have launched the 5870x2, the 5770, 5750 and have a more impressive yield on the 5870/5850 which means price drops, over-clocked versions.

4) No trickle-down. Nvidia can't afford to go to a price-war with AMD with their G200B cards. They're just too expensive. They tried it with the GTX 260, got knocked out in the first round. Tried it with the Core 216, same result. Tried it with the GTX275, it's now $75 more expensive than the HD4890 and about the same speed.

But I don't need to wave flags anymore-
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/08/28/nvidia-renames-2xx-parts-3xx/

I truly believe ATI has this next generation in lock.

Why am I the only person that gets this?

Here's the problem with waiting for the G300-

1) You have no idea how much faster or how much it will even cost. It could be 15% faster than the HD5870, with a price tag of $499.99. Still worth it?

2) There will be NO mid-range G300 video-cards. Do you remember what happened with the G200 series cards? Yeah that GTS 250 was a real doozy. Oh wait...

3) By the time the G300 will launch, ATI will have launched the 5870x2, the 5770, 5750 and have a more impressive yield on the 5870/5850 which means price drops, over-clocked versions.

4) No trickle-down. Nvidia can't afford to go to a price-war with AMD with their G200B cards. They're just too expensive. They tried it with the GTX 260, got knocked out in the first round. Tried it with the Core 216, same result. Tried it with the GTX275, it's now $75 more expensive than the HD4890 and about the same speed.

But I don't need to wave flags anymore-
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/08/28/nvidia-renames-2xx-parts-3xx/

I truly believe ATI has this next generation in lock.

I think you missed my point :)

I fully agree I dont really have a clue how the 300 will perform etc (for all we know it could underperform compared to 5870) atm I am just saying cheering that ATI has won before even seeing NVIDIA's equivalent is a tad silly.

If you need a card now then ATI is the clear choice - if however there is no rush for you to buy (like me) then a little wait will give you a better idea.

I am not an ATI or NVIDIA fanboy I jsut go with the product that will suit my needs best and currently we only have half the information.

the article linked says basically nothing of note to this point.

I think you missed my point :)

I fully agree I dont really have a clue how the 300 will perform etc (for all we know it could underperform compared to 5870) atm I am just saying cheering that ATI has won before even seeing NVIDIA's equivalent is a tad silly.

If you need a card now then ATI is the clear choice - if however there is no rush for you to buy (like me) then a little wait will give you a better idea.

I am not an ATI or NVIDIA fanboy I jsut go with the product that will suit my needs best and currently we only have half the information.

the article linked says basically nothing of note to this point.

Nvidia's next generation isn't looking that promising based on the specs and current prices of their current generation cards. Assuming not a hefty price drop, since Nvidia never does a hefty price drop, even if the next-gen is in tune with the current AMD cards, they will be extremely expensive. The current generation can't even compete in price with AMD's new cards, why would the 3x series be better? Even if you see similar performance you will probably be looking at $100+ in price tag.

Nvidia's next generation isn't looking that promising based on the specs and current prices of their current generation cards. Assuming not a hefty price drop, since Nvidia never does a hefty price drop, even if the next-gen is in tune with the current AMD cards, they will be extremely expensive. The current generation can't even compete in price with AMD's new cards, why would the 3x series be better? Even if you see similar performance you will probably be looking at $100+ in price tag.

I couldn't agree with you anymore. ATI has put a huge thorn in the side of nVidia. I'm a big fan of AMD to. I just sold my old EVGA GTS 250 card to a friend so I could have the XFX 5850 in my new rig.

5850 xfire looks really good with a P55/i5

It sure does. I'll have that set up as of Tuesday. I'm so excited. I can't wait.

I was going to get new case but my Lian Li case rocks. I have no issues with it. It does a great job keeping my system cool under load and idle.

Exactly. I mean people haven't realized that the trickle down is going to tear Nvidia apart this generation.

People haven't read between the lines yet.

I have no doubt the G300 will be faster than the RV870. I just don't think it will matter. Nvidia won't have a price-range answer to any of AMD's line up.

AMD is picking Nvidia apart methodically and I want to see Nvidia change its GPU model.

And the GTX260 uses an expensive chip, it's hard to believe anyone in the chain is making more than a few percent on them at $150-170. NV's numbers for this quarter are going to be ugly unless their OEM GPU business is *huge*
nVidia is still doing very well in the mobile market. Apple is using nVidia integrated GPUs exclusively, and most other manufacturers, like Dell, are using them as well. They also have a pretty big professional/workstation division, and they'll get most of that marketshare. Good linux support helps. They'll be fine financially - they'll just have to pick up the pace in the gaming world.

Also, most people upgrade their GPU about once every two years, and lots of people don't even have desktops anymore.

nVidia is still doing very well in the mobile market. Apple is using nVidia integrated GPUs exclusively, and most other manufacturers, like Dell, are using them as well. They also have a pretty big professional/workstation division, and they'll get most of that marketshare. Good linux support helps. They'll be fine financially - they'll just have to pick up the pace in the gaming world.

Also, most people upgrade their GPU about once every two years, and lots of people don't even have desktops anymore.

Yeah, I agree 100% with you.

The issue is Nvidia's gaming GPU market, but the discrete graphics market for gaming is not a very strong market. It's actually been declining.

What's interesting though, is that this AMD chip uses less power, is very powerful and very small. I hope AMD successfully merges into the laptop discrete graphics market and maybe even Apple picks them up again.

I don't think AMD will ever compete with Nvidia's IGP market.

Nvidia's next generation isn't looking that promising based on the specs and current prices of their current generation cards. .

Why, because they are includeing tesla like compute power? Im sure people thought the 2xx series didnt look too promiseing either, but the numbers dont lie :beer:

Assuming not a hefty price drop, since Nvidia never does a hefty price drop, even if the next-gen is in tune with the current AMD cards, they will be extremely expensive.

Well, you never know until they get here.. But from looking at the past, I have to agree. But at the same time, you always get what you pay for :D

As far as nv being in tune with ati, I think they will do just fine. Maybe even be on top, you never know!

The current generation can't even compete in price with AMD's new cards, why would the 3x series be better?

Why would they try to compete in price with newer cards, with their older gen stuff? You are too used to seeing AMD do things like that ;) New cards get new prices, new cards should be here soon :thup:

Anandtech said:
For this fall, we're able to say something we haven't been able to say for quite some time: AMD has the high-end market locked up tight.

i've been away from the vid forum for a long time now, and i can't believe this is happening for amd/ati. i'm not usually a fanboi, but honestly, i cried a little reading the anandtech review haha. looks like it's time for me to upgrade soon, esp wuth the idle power savings on the 5 series.

can you guys believe that sub $300 video cards now can pretty much play any game at 1920x1200 with high setttings? remember the days when "budget" cards still cost a bundle and you could barely crank out the fps needed for 1280x1024?

man i'm gettin' old:beer:

i've been away from the vid forum for a long time now, and i can't believe this is happening for amd/ati. i'm not usually a fanboi, but honestly, i cried a little reading the anandtech review haha. looks like it's time for me to upgrade soon, esp wuth the idle power savings on the 5 series.

can you guys believe that sub $300 video cards now can pretty much play any game at 1920x1200 with high setttings? remember the days when "budget" cards still cost a bundle and you could barely crank out the fps needed for 1280x1024?

man i'm gettin' old:beer:

You think that's old. I've owned every generation of cards since a Voodoo 3 and GeForge 256. I don't go all the way back, but I figure that's pretty good.

You think that's old. I've owned every generation of cards since a Voodoo 3 and GeForge 256. I don't go all the way back, but I figure that's pretty good.
All the way back when they were called the GeForge, huh? When you made your own graphics using a hammer and tongs? :D

Back