• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sysprep on Win 7...help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Hey folks. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find anything on the topic. I need to sysprep my Win7 install for an impending upgrade. XP was relatively simple to do but it appears I'm having no luck finding out how to do it with Win7. It will be the same HAL (ACHI X64-based PC), so that's not a problem. It will, however, be a different chipset and CPU. Anyone have a clue how to do this?

I should point out there IS a sysprep folder in Windows/system32/sysprep/ that contains a sysprep.exe. It can't be as easy as just running that, can it?

Alternatively, would running a repair from the CD work if no one knows how to sysprep it? I know that's less than ideal, but if it will work without ill effects, that may be the route I have to take. Obviously it's less than preferable.

In case anyone asks, a format IS an option, but time is a rather large issue and it's not something I'm the least bit interested in entertaining unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I don't know how I couldn't find that. Very sorry...I googled and googled and came up empty handed. Thanks for the link!

There is one question though, and it may be a stupid one but better safe than sorry. In configuring his unattended XML file, it appears he has used "amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral" for the HAL. Is that something I should be concerned about or is amd64 just a generic term and won't hurt anything when using an intel chipset/CPU?

Did not think that sysprep would work starting with win FLP, Vista and now 7 they moved from a typical installer to imaging (winbom.img or something like that) been a long time since I looked at unattended installs though.

Guess if people have blog on sysprep though it should work :)

So others know, I left a message with the author. This was his response:
You will want to select the Shell Setup that corresponds with the architecture of your system, is yours 32 bit or 64 bit? amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral use for a 64 bit system and then there is a x86_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup for 32 bit systems. I hope that answers your question. Happy Sysprepping!

Well, I did something wrong. The install is borked and won't come up. I'm just going to have to reformat. Darnit.

Back