• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum Wars (Summer Wars) 2009

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Yes, it's almost that time again.

In a months time you would have had to have you stock testing done, and ready to have your overclocked scores started.

3D01 and Cinebench make a come back, where as 3D03 and wPrime take a rest.
Also Phase & Peltier are allowed in "A Class" Now dubbed Limited Xtreme class, and Win7 can also be used.

Plese post in this thread if you would like to take part.

Forum members that are not 100% sure what this is all about, ask, and we will help you out.
But all forum members are welcome to take part.

Oh, I should point out we have won the last 4 of these :D

Benching team members that have taken part before, that may need to post stock scores with zero's (moving or some such thing), please talk to me via PM.

So guys, whos up for another round of a$$ kicking ?

The rules for this wars are listed below.

The Rules

Summerwarz 2009 Rules

Changes... (since the last war)
Posting scores in the last few days will be allowed only at TRP
Benchs are 3d01,3d06,SuPi with an OC bonus,GB & Cinebench
Phase & Peltier allowed in "A Class" Now dubbed Limited Xtreme class
Quad restriction in "E class"
Windows 7 OS allowed
Longer benching session for the war

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spirit of the Games... This is very Important!
Tweaks are allowed, FSB, Multi, Htt, Memory,Voltage, VGA Bus & Mem... ect
Cheats are not, Ram drives, no on-the-fly affinity modifications, modifying drivers ect
Note... not all has been mentioned here, just keep in mind "The Spirit of the Games"
Penelties for violating this will be harsh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summerwarz Dates.....
August 1-14 prelims (Stock score posting)
Saturday 15th (last minute posting at TRP only!!!)
Sunday the 16th will be an off day for roster submissions
Monday the 17th thru Saturday Sept 5th (go to war)(Database is closed on Sept 2nd)
Thursday Sept 3rd (All disputed scores listed at TRP)
Friday & Saturday Sept 4th & 5th (last minute posting at TRP only)

ALL DEADLINES are on 9pm CST US & Mexico (Texas)
Take Note: These are hard deadlines, there will be no excuses for missing them (None)
(All Score links and Screenshots must remain active during the war)
(If they are not active you will recieve a zero for a score)

Summerwarz Benchmarks:
Geekbench (10x score)(32bit version only)
3d01 (2x score)
3d06 (4x score)
SPi 1m w OC bonus (SSw2CPUz&TS) (7sec = 120k score)
Cinebench (multi) (SSw2CPUz&TS) (4x score)
Overclock Bonus (1000 points for every 1% OC on Super Pi 1m)

****** All benchmarks can be found at www.forumwars.us ******

***IMPORTANT***
LINKS TO YOUR SCORES ARE REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A SCORE.
ALL SCREENSHOTS REQUIRE (2) CPUz & A TIMESTAMP.
MAKE SURE YOUR SCORE IS SUBMITTED BY CHECKING THE WEBSITE.

Summerwarz 2009 Classes:

The Unlimited Xtreme Class (3 player teams)
No upgrade restrictions
No unreleased architecture ES chips
No cooling restrictions (LN, DICE, Cascades)
Anything goes...

The Limited Xtreme (A Class) (3 player teams)
Unlimited downgrades per team
No Unreleased ES chips
Air, Water, Peltier & Phase cooling only
(4 VGA Core max) Quad SLI/CF OK

The "B" class (3 player teams)
No Unreleased ES chips
Air or Water cooling only
(2 VGA Core max) (Can be a X2/GX2 or SLI/CF)

The "C" class (3 player teams)
No i7 or Unreleased ES chips
(4 VGA Core max) Quad SLI/CF OK

The "D" class (3 player teams)
No i7 or Unreleased ES chips
(2 VGA Core max) (Can be a X2/GX2 or SLI/CF)

The "E" class (3 player teams)
No Quadcores, i7 or Unreleased ES chips
(1 VGA Core max) (no X2/GX2 or SLI/CF)

The Rules......
Two systems per player maximum, 1 is reccommended
Second systems can be added to fill out the rosters (only 1 system can be on the A Team)
The 2nd Rig must have a different CPU and Reduced or different VGA.
Reduced VGA means if you use SLI, you cannot use the same set up on your 2nd Rig, you can only use 1 card.
But if you have a different set of VGA cards... thats OK!
Standard HDD performance tuning (like RAID) on ATA, SATA, SATA II are ok. No limit on # of HDD's.
Ram or Virtual Drives are not allowed. SSD's are ok.
Acceptable Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, 2008, Vista & Windows 7 and all variants of each (32-bit/64-bit, home/pro/ultimate, etc.)
Acceptable Drivers: ALL (No driver limitation)
Acceptable Hardware: All (except unreleased ES chips and similar)
NO UPGRADES after Prelim Deadline, (UX Class excluded) (RMA's & Downgrades are ok, subject to validation by the judges).
Forum Police can deny any posted score if not properly submitted
The Forum Wars Judges will vote on All Questionable scores
The "Police Station" is where the forum police will post a poll and discuss scores and rule clarifications.
This forum will be password protected.
All Forum Police will be registered in our Database and all scores will be entered into the database
then transferred to our spreadsheet. Then tabulated and posted on the TRP website (usually twice a week).
***No Unreleased hardware may be used in Team Scoring...
Players in the UX class can swap hardware for each bench. Please Note: If the UX player is entering 2 machines he CANNOT use the same VGA setup or CPU (used in the A-E classes) in the UX Class Machine
Everything else (covered by the rules) is ok and can be used at the players discretion.
Ultra cooled is defined as: Dry Ice, Liquid Nitrogen and Cascades
(you dont have to redo all your tests to post an updated Score)

Participating Forums......
Each Forum must provide their own Forum Police (2 to 5 is preferred)
All cops will have access to "Forum Wars Police Station and the Courthouse" and the Database for Score entries
If a Forum has no forum cops players will be REQUIRED to post at The Raptor Pit on the Scoring thread.
Participating Forums need to create 3 threads
A discussions thread that I can link to from the main site for checking each other out and taunting
A closed "Summerwarz 2009 Scoring" thread (not hidden) (where all scores will be posted)
An "Forum player entry thread" to Recruit your Players and Cops
And of coarse... a passworded private forum for your players only.
Forums that wish NOT to Field an A Team will be required to have AT LEAST a B team

Teams and Catagories......
Unlimited Xtreme, A thru E Teams...3 players per team (1 team in each class counts toward the Overall)
Quad placement restricted from the "E Class" (i7 are restricted to the UX, LX & B Classes)
Ultra cooled Rigs will ONLY be allowed in the (UX) Unlimited Xtreme Class
The Slacker class wil be used for all the late entries and do not count toward the overall
The Slacker class is unlimited... Anything Goes!!!
The Preferred Roster is to have your best players on the "A Team", second best on the "B Team" and so forth.
Ultimately you can build your rosters as you wish. (see bonus points)

Class Winners......
This Award goes to the winners of each class... A forum's best three scores combined to win the class entered

Power of three Award......
This is a new Award that goes to the winner of each forums best three scores combined (in any class... your best against their best)

Overall Scoring Award......
Forum final rankings from Unlimited Xtreme thru E teams are added up and the lowest total wins the overall Contest (Ultimate Win)
Tiebreakers are: fewest # of i7's then quads then SLI/CF rigs then coinflip
If multiple Teams from the same forum exist in each class, only the highest scoring team's ranking goes toward the "Overall" and "Bonus Points"

Bonus Points.......
When a forums A Team scores higher than their B Team, they will recieve 1 ranking point
When their B team scores higher than their C Team, they get another ranking point
When their C team scores higher than their D Team, they get 1 last ranking point. (3 bonus points Max)
This will only effect forums with a full or mostly full complement of players (18)
The bonus ranking points are totaled then deducted from the forums overall score ranking.
The lowest ranking wins the overall and 2 or 3 deductions can mean alot.
So most of the larger forums will comply by putting their best players on the A, hopefully their second best on B and maybe
play around with the rest of their players for best position with in the remaining teams. or stick it out and make their C
team their third best either by design or by accident....
Teams that wish NOT to Field an "A Team" will be required to have a "B Team" and are NOT eligable for the Ranking
bonuses.....

The Judges:
??? ( ??? )
Meltdown (Xtreme CPU)
Deanzo (OC Forums)
Intel Guy (PC Pitstop)
Luis GT (The Raptor Pit)
Jammin (OverClockers Club)
Hokiealumnus (The Raptor Pit)

FWs09 judges can participate as a player like anyone else in their forum, but if there is an issue involving them personally or a member of their forum, they are not allowed to vote as a judge. Forum Police & Judges can verify any score in any participating forum (they are global). Judges & Police cannot verify their own scores (submitting them at TRP is the quickest solution)
These rules will not be modified in any form. Any concern about the wording on specific issues will be voted on by the Forum Warz Judges. The polling outcome will be final and not be disputed. Any additions or clarifications approved by the administration will be added separately to the rules as ammendments, with no alteration to the original wording of these rules. The term "Awards" are for bragging rights (no gifts are given) The Gifts are given thru a random drawing at the end of the war.
*** Disclaimer***
TRP (The Raptor Pit) will not be responsable for any damaged, broken, bent or burned hardware as a result of Overclocking a Personal Computer. Any Player that Overclocks his/her PC... does so at their own risk and will not hold (TRP) responsable... If you enter (by posting a score) then you accept this agreement.

The list so far

Caligula420
JLK03F150
KonaKona
moocow
icebob
Gomeler
MIAHALLEN
ghost_recon88
pauld5999
gigabit

Last edited:
I'm out... let's get some more new blood this time... bets of luck everyone!!! You'll enjoy the experience and learn along the way.

Oh, I was just asked about stock scores.

So I'll post this here.

We ask everyone to post stock scores, this helps us in a number of ways.

It locks in what hardware they will use.
It also helps us know that they will take part when the time comes to post over clocked scores. To win this everyone must work as a team, if some did not post, there is little hope of winning, and that is not fair on the rest of the guys.
We find if they post stock scores, they will post over clocked scores.

In the past, some say they want to take part, then we never see them again, so I do not pick/place the teams till after the stock scores have been posted.

prelims (Stock score posting) is done with the hardware you wish to use at stock speed.
And you need to run each benchmark, with a link or screen shot in the lay out we ask for. These scores can only be done from the 1-14 Aug.

By doing that, everyone knows, and has showen they know how to post a score.
So there should be no issue when it comes to the real thing.

As a judge I deal with a number of issues from other forums, if I see they posted the stock score right, the "I didn't know" will not cut it.

But do note, it's dead easy, and there's soo many members here ready to help.

I can offer up either a D or E rig if a spot needs to be filled. I'm still running HD3870s though. I do have some DDR1000 RAM now, so I have a better chance of pushing the CPU further than last time. My DDR800 was acting odd in the last FW.

Is chilled water allowed in those two classes?

I am willing to sit out if there are better hardware combos to fill the teams.

I'm in, but I got no clue what I'll use. Quads are banned from E class and I have a hell of a time keeping up in D, not to mention I wont be able to do my uber early morning runs this time round. :(

Might end up in E class with a e4300 or something of the sort this time round.

I can offer up an E-Class rig. Should be able to give some pretty decent numbers when my 4890 comes.

I can offer up either a D or E rig if a spot needs to be filled. I'm still running HD3870s though. I do have some DDR1000 RAM now, so I have a better chance of pushing the CPU further than last time. My DDR800 was acting odd in the last FW.

I'm in, but I got no clue what I'll use. Quads are banned from E class and I have a hell of a time keeping up in D, not to mention I wont be able to do my uber early morning runs this time round. :(

I can offer up an E-Class rig. Should be able to give some pretty decent numbers when my 4890 comes.

Great stuff guys, I'll take you all up on that.

Don't worry about what class you feel your hardware may fit into, enter with what you have, and do your best.
I'll work out the rest.

I want to be in but not sure which class I have the rig in my sig and would like to get my other setup in too ( you know Dean the one I'm putting together for the cold stuff) my question is my cold stuff rig I will use the same kind of mobo and cpu is that allowed?

Count me in!!!
:beer:

Nice to see you in...don't hear from you much these days JLK :beer:

I want to be in but not sure which class I have the rig in my sig and would like to get my other setup in too ( you know Dean the one I'm putting together for the cold stuff) my question is my cold stuff rig I will use the same kind of mobo and cpu is that allowed?

EVERYONE LISTEN...Deanzo is the master strategist :beer: When it comes time to post STOCK scores...post what you can run...let Deanzo figure out what class you'll be in...there is no need for you to fret about it now :)

Dean, as usual, I'd love to play...but I'll only be good for UX as I only have a W3580 to play with :( Hopefully that'll work out ;)

Nice to see you in...don't hear from you much these days JLK :beer:

Thx, glad to be in - it's always a fun time. :D

The job has been sukking really bad for a while now, so that has limited me to lurker status. The good news is I've found another job & my last day in hell is this Friday. :santa2:

Guys, MIAH tells it like it is. Our job is to push our stuff 'til it hurts and Dean's job is to arrange us in a manner that humiliates the competition. lol

Is there a place we can find database for that geekbench thing so we can have an idea what we are against with? I went to their web site and all the score are mostly mac stuff

That will do well, what class it will be on, I don't know at this time.
I'll work it out after all the stock runs are down.

I can help this round. Not sure where I'll end up though, depends on what GPUs I have sitting around in August.

Bro, do you have a SS ?

:Dean, as usual, I'd love to play...but I'll only be good for UX as I only have a W3580 to play with :( Hopefully that'll work out ;)

We can put a W3580 to good use :santa:

Guys, MIAH tells it like it is. Our job is to push our stuff 'til it hurts and Dean's job is to arrange us in a manner that humiliates the competition. lol

LMAO, but kind of true :beer:

Back