• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "I need something to finish my Rig" Thread v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

FOR ACTIVE FOLDING MEMBERS OF T32

Post here:___________ and state if you need just a little something to finish off
your current Folding build,
or repair your MAIN Rig you solely rely on for the majority of your points.

I am hoping, with all the members we have, someone
can say "Hey I can help that guy!" and do so.

"I have an old ______ you can have"

Think of it as an extension of the BAR Program.
Folders helping Folders. :thup:

Either give them the parts needed or work it out via PM.
No Prices here this is not the Classifieds.

Please, be realistic. Don't just post "I need a new rig, mine is old".
You'll get laughed at. I'll laugh at you. :p

If you are actually trying, and "need a little help" SAY SO !

The List -will remove if no longer needed.

Needs

1.) Brutal-Force- 775 Mobo(45nm compatible) and a case
2.) Outback_Jon- Power Supply(for 2 AXP machines)
3.) luckybob69- AGP video card
4.) Shelnutt2- Gigabit switch
5.) SF101- 8800GT or better?
6.) Bobnova- GPU (ideally one that can do linux folding, but it doesn't have to be) and a PSU to power it.
7.) PenguinsPal- a couple foldable AGP
8.) Younglin- socket 775 mobo for my intel pentium 4 640. but it has to be a board with pci for my 5750.
Has
1.) Outback_Jon- 939 Opteron 146(single core), 4-port 10/100 Netgear RP114 router, Verizon DSL modem/wireless router and a couple of PCI NIC's
2.) Brutal-Force- 8400 GS AGP
3.) luckybob69- 1 PSU.
4.) deadlysyn- Computer case
5.) Shellnutt2- 5x 10/100 network cards, 4x sound cards, a linksys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT(non-working wireless) and a few sticks of DDR 400
6.) Harlam357- Cooler Master 330W ATX PSU
7.) PenguinsPal- 2x1GiB PC2-4200, 2x512MiB PC2-4200, 2x512MiB PC2-6400, 2xCorsair XMX2 4-4-4-12 5400 (512MiB)
8.) weetoots- All sticks are DDR type

Corsair CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3200 256MB 400Mhz 226 -T1 Qty 2 matched pair w/ blk heatsinks attached, s/n's 0303078, 0321006 xms3205v1.1

Mushkin Enhanced DDR3500 Level II P/N 991095, Qty 2, 256MB Dual pack p/n 991097 w/ blk heatsinks

Patriot PEP1G3200LL, PC3200 (2-3-2-5), 1G, Qty 1, w/ red heatsink

ALL STICKS HAVE BEEN MODESTLY OC'D AND ALL WERE WORKING BEFORE I REMOVED THEM FROM THE MOTHERBD.
PM me

Last edited:
If there is anyone that was on the old list that needs to be added to this one let me know.

I could use a cheap ATX Case, either desktop or tower and a cheap socket 775 to put a E5200 in.

I have the Ram/Video card/PSU/Processor and cables, so basically I could make an open case folder with a motherboard. Hopefully something that is mildly overclockable as the E5200 clock quite well.

I have an extra 8400 GS AGP I could trade for the motherboard. It works well and is Cuda Enabled.

University of Iowa

I live in Iowa City Iowa:confused: the University of Iowa has a surplus store right down the street from me. They have dell 260 & 280's on the cheap, 80 bucks. I will talk with them and see if i cant get some donated.

stuff

I just remebered I have all these psu that came with diffrent case from newegg I can donate and perhaps a video card let me know, I would like to trade a psu for an agp card. everything is new in the box
hec Raptor500 500W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Passive PFC Power Supply
HIS H467QSS1GP Radeon HD 4670 1GB ?
Seventeam ST-850PAF 850W ATX Power Supply
XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 700W

the hec Raptor500 500W psu is be shipped thursday to a fellow folder
i still have the XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 700W psu left
The other is going into my next rig for folding istill have H.I.S video card left.
I am still in need of an agp card for my optiplex that i will set up at my girls house for folding

I still have that 8400GS AGP card. When I took it out of the case it dawned on me, it's fan was making a whining noise when I took it out. Not horrible, but definitely making a noise. It looks like you can take it off and put another fan on? PM me if interested.

Well this really isn't something I need to finish a rig, but for my network. I need a gigabyte switch (I think). I have a router, Buffalo WHR-G54S running DD-WRT. I'm trying to setup a gigabit network for some SSI. Unfortunately only two of my computers have gigabit nics, but my router is only 10/100. I would just bridge connections and use a crossover cable but my goal is to have all the computers in the house come up or down on the SSI if they are on or off.

So, I need a gigabit switch (networking guys tell me if I am wrong, do I need a gigabit router, or can I just add the switch in under the router?). Also if I could get one or two gigabit cards..

I have 5x 10/100 network cards, 4x sound cards, a linksys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT, but the wireless stopped working. Also have a few DDR400 sticks of ram.

So, I need a gigabit switch (networking guys tell me if I am wrong, do I need a gigabit router, or can I just add the switch in under the router?). Also if I could get one or two gigabit cards..

you can use the switch under the router given everything is attached to the switch. anything going from router to switch is going to be 100 not 1000

also if your computers are remotely new, the NIC's are probably auto-detect and you could use a regular cable. cross over cables are almost useless these days

I could use a CUDA video card on my third machine. it has a 7900 GTX now, and im just running the folding CPU clients. dont really "need" one but that would help with the folding.

I have a Home server that's on 24/7 and the cpu client has never seemed to keep working on it " always stops and does nothing for some reason happened at work too on work pc's always stalling out".

its a Core2 2.2ghz with 4gb DDR2 800 on winxp.

if anyone has a cuda capable GPU like a 8800GT or something id slap it in there and let it go 24/7.

Bump.
And anyone that requested or offered anything, can you delete your post. Just trying to keep this thread somewhat clean.
Thanks,
JnS

Cleaned out my posts, except for this one.:screwy: I think I have some RAM sinks laying around somewhere I might be able to use for the 9800, if not, I know someone that will send some to me. You can go ahead and take me off the list for the VRM sinks.:beer:

I live in Iowa City Iowa:confused: the University of Iowa has a surplus store right down the street from me. They have dell 260 & 280's on the cheap, 80 bucks. I will talk with them and see if i cant get some donated.

I used to live in Coralville..(really missing it lately..:cry:). I would shop there all the time. Lots of cool stuff to be found (more than computers)

If you dont allready know about it...
http://www.mcbia.com/ewaste/
This is a place between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids (sorta) that has a great resail store. lots of good stuff and some very unique items.

Well... my attempt at helping the cause.

I have a bunch of older PC stuff I'd like to donate to the cause like PCI video cards, some RAM, NIC cards and more.

Is it Kosher for me to ask for reimbursement of shipping for some of the larger items?

If that's ok, do I just post what I have here?

Back