• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.0g Help (PII 940)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Short_CirktZ

Registered
I've tried searching, but it turned up Nada..

oh yeah, I'm new here.. Came over from Tech-Forums.

What I've got:
Vista 32b
PII 940
M4A78 Pro
Ultra X3 1000w PSU
8G OCZ 1066 RAM @ 5-5-5-15 (I don't know anything about RAM Timings) I dropped 4 gigs out during clocking.
Dual WDC 80g in RAID 0 Stripe
Liquid cooled CPU and HD4870 1g (Single Card for now)
-DTek Fusion CPU block
-Swiftek GPU Block, and Pump
-Single MCR 220 Fan-wich Rad (for now, need a 320)
-XSPC Pump top and Rez.

ANYWAY...

I've been trying to hit a Prime Stable higher clock than what I have btu I haven't gotten it past a Bootable 3.8g.

I'd like to be able to hit 4.0G and have it be as stable as I can get it..

Here were my BIOS Settings for What I'm running now @ 3.64g. Not Prime Stable, but I was Playign Crysis warhead last week and the Card kept freezing up on me so I dropped it down to 3,5g on just the Mult.
CPU Mult @ 17.50
FSB @ 215
NB Freq @ 102
NB mult @ 11.00x
HT Link Speed @ 1.2G

CPU Volt @ 1.475v
CPU/NB Volt @ AUTO
CPU VDDA Volt @ AUTO
DRAM Volt @ 2.17 (works, set for the sticks)
HT Volt @ 1.30v
NB Voltage @ 1.20
NB 1.8v @ AUTO
SB Volt @ AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum @ Enabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum @ Enabled

I don't know a great Deal about OCing, just that if you step your CPU up, you need to step up the other settings to not Waste cpu clock cycles.

TIA! :attn:

Last edited:
^ I have no idea bro...

And I just edited a couple details.. I added my OS and the bit that I drop 4g or RAM out when I try to clock it. I heard having a LOT of ram makes it difficult to get a good clock.. Something about HT link speed.

Ok, good deal.. Thanx..

CPU Features? As far as? CPU and PCI Spread Spectrum, right? Anything else? What EXACTLY do those do??

Is yours Prime Stable? I take your benches are the other tests.

c1e is for power saving
spread sprectrum is to stop/reduce electrical interference,if you dont have that issue [ such as people next door drilling or w/e that causing electrical interference ],
and if you have the option switch on hpet,its in chipset features.

58938541.jpg

if you set your ht link multi to around 11-12x you should have somewhat some stability
i had this issue with my phenom 9500,it needed to be above 1000 mhz ht or 1200 mhz,1800 should be stock ,so i'd recommend you keep it around there.
cpu-nb aka northbridge speed, can be found in the memory tab,if thats too slow sometimes it can cause errors
but i cant give you a guide,that 2600mhz nb is max for 3.8ghz,wont boot after that, 2400 nb for 3.7ghz
,and the rest should be in dolks thread,my motherboard doesn't have an sb adjustment so im not sure about that,my brother has a motherboard that has sb voltage adjustment,that needed none to get his e2200 from 2.2ghz to 3.12ghz

The links to those threads are answering all my questions... :D AWESOME! I'm gonna start messing with it again as soon as I get far enough into that first thread...

well,i would be careful dude,just be cautios on hitting 4ghz,you gotta think how long you want it to last for ,and btw, a well tuned 3.9ghz chip will work as well as a 4ghz but stay in the max voltage range :)

Well just from a glimpse at your specs, I would say take your cpunb voltage off of auto and put it on 1.300volts. There is no way you want to run a 2365mhz nb clock on "auto" voltages. And just to mention,
FSB @ 215
NB Freq @ 102
These numbers would be the same...

I put my FSB back to 200 stock.. As I found out, there is no need to mess with it seeing as I don't have a locked CPU Mult..

My HT Link speed is listed as the final result in my BIOS. I had it set to 1g.. But I'm trying to do the math and I can't figure it out.. HTT should be < than the core speed. But they run off 15x CPU stock and NB and HTT Mults are 10x stock.. So upping both one at a time in equal steps.

My Core Mult is @ 19x = 3.8g, NB @ 12xfor 2.4g.. Now HTT Speed: 200 (FSB) x 14 would be 2.8g, but my HTT in my BIOS goes from 200MHz to 12.2GHz. Set it to 1.8g??

I just want to Hit 4.0g and get it to Boot for my own satisfaction... And to get on a list... :D Benchmarks and whatnot.. I'm really scared of the 1.6Vcore.. I don't like to go any higher than 1.55... so a 1.6 would be a suicide run.. I don''t know WHY these chips use/need soo much power.

Last edited:
ok... Cool...

I'm gonna set my CPU/NB to 13x for 2.6g = 1.2g slower than the CPU.

And I'm gonna try the Vcore @ 1.500 and see what it doesn't do.. I'm gonna take a little bit of time on this... The rig is idling @ 37* now in the BIOS.

*snip* My Core Mult is @ 19x = 3.8g, NB @ 12xfor 2.4g, and 200 (FSB) x 14 would be 2.8g, *snip*

Since the total processor speed, the north bridge speed and the Hyper transport link all multiply by the ref. clock [of 200 in this case] your actual clocks would be Cpu = 3,800mhz
Northbridge = 2,800mhz
Hyper transport = 2,800 mhz.

That being said, 2800mhz is far too fast for the nb and I am surprised you can even boot at those speeds.

In your bios, find the nb multiplier and set it to x9. Find your Hypertransport multiplier, and set it to x9 as well. Then continue raising your cpu multiplier and try for the 4.0ghz clock.

Edit: Woah... Wtf? Look at post #13 and then look at the snip I took from post #13. See and differences? Because for me, post #13 says "14x =3.8ghz on the nb speed, but the snip says 2.4ghz... So if you had it correct then forget the first half of my post... :shrug:

^ I'm on my laptop, sitting in front of the big rig.. I'm gonna take some time on this to be sure I've figured everything out correctly.

so, HT = 200 x 9X = 1.8g... GOtcha! I don't have an HT Mult to mess with so I have to do the math..,

I edited Post #13... MB... These boards are a lot faster than the Tech Forums.. THanx!

Last edited:
^^^ BSOD on the above settings Before Windows opened fully.. Gonna step the Vcore up

I'll Post CPUz shots when it runs.

And yes.. FF FTW! IE sux...

BSOD on 1.500 Vcore, 1.55 Vcore and 1.575 Vcore on those 9x Settings.... My RAM is @ 800MHz, should I remove a couple of sticks to get down to 2g of 1066 Ram? and my Frq is showing at 800MHz. What SHOULD it be at? 1066? I heard the lower the better for OCing.

I got some Calls to do for work.. be back in a bit..

Last edited:
Back