• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD X2 550 Quad Core unlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have tried quad stability tests at 18.5X multi .. no good .. going back to 18X and raising the HT one Mhz at a time now.

3.6Ghz stable ... boots at 3.8Ghz but fails stability test.

Going to play with NB volts .. maybe I should put that on water too
Problem is that I'm using a HTPC case and have water in it .. not much room left!!

100_0294.JPG
100_0295.JPG

BTW: .. I changed out the ASUS M3A32-MVP for a Gigabyte 790GX/SB750 UD4H .. and the 9800GTX+ is awaiting RMA

Have you ever had an intel system? Because Amd has had the nb on the cpu die for years now.
LOL .. I meant the chipset .. I've been on water since the XP2500M
I switched to intel for the Q6600 and now I'm back to AMD. My bad!

btw: In Overdrive, when I try to use auto-clock, it jumps to 18.5X @201 ... I want it to run 18X @201... 202.. etc

Note: in Sandra XL .. it says I'm using 200W+ for cpu ... I bumped the cpu volts to 1.42 and I'm slowly dropping them to find stable, but that sounds really high!

Yah not sure what causes it on cpuz relatively new to caring.

I will look into it, but I am sure their are people that know and chuckle..

Bizarre you can bench settings that fail cpuz :s

^ It's an old uncorrected bug since Agena. Those in-valids will be deleted soon, I know from first hand experience of me and a few other guys with 8-9 CPUs so save the ss while you can. Frank/Sam didn't respond to any original complaints from many nor did they fix anything.

The bug can occur when a core isn't stable, when the clock hasn't been locked, when any core is in a different frequency to the maximum or for any other unknown reason AKA even when everything is right, when it feels like it. Many get it at stock clocks.

Hi Neuro, I just wish to confirm.. So you were saying this certain 550 BE that unlocks on your Asus board do not unlock on your foxconn board?

I have a 550 BE, i can see 4 cores when set ACC to per core but same as you, applying ACC don't unlock the other 2 cores

using Biostar TA790GX 128M Jan 13 BIOS + 550BE 0925 APMW

do u think it's my board that's stubborn or it's the chip? cos other people reported success on my CPU batch but other Biostar boards.. thank you in advance

Last I read BIOSes that show all 4 cores with ACC enabled, there is one more thing you can try...

Set HTLink to 1600.

Lastly, and I can not confirm this either, there maybe a 3rd step using AOD software. I do not know the details, and TBH, do not have the time to test it out.

Hi Neuro, I just wish to confirm.. So you were saying this certain 550 BE that unlocks on your Asus board do not unlock on your foxconn board?

I have a 550 BE, i can see 4 cores when set ACC to per core but same as you, applying ACC don't unlock the other 2 cores

using Biostar TA790GX 128M Jan 13 BIOS + 550BE 0925 APMW

do u think it's my board that's stubborn or it's the chip? cos other people reported success on my CPU batch but other Biostar boards.. thank you in advance

I believe it is the board/bios. You mentioned others with reported unlockings which leads me to believe you just need to update/downgrade your bios.

Just googled a bit.

This guy is doing it on the 128M so should be good to go. Do not see a post by him on how he did it though.

Finding the right BIOS could be it :)

Yup, apparently, I've PM-ed the guy and he just advise me to up the VCore, lower HT link to 1.6. He declined to assist me further :(

I still believe it's my board that's causing the problem. I've flashed with all sorts of BIOS, official/modded but I'm unable to unlock, though my batch is known to unlock 0925 APMW. Also, I kept getting SPD error when using my OCZ rams and I get BSOD during windows setup on borrowed corsair rams. Tried all sorts of settings/timing/voltages/single dimms, etc on both OCZ and corsair rams but still unable to just install windows..

been a nightmare so far, my worst hardware purchase ever :( gonna RMA my board and test everything (CPU, mobo, ram) for stability before exchange.

Thanks guys for the inputs. you guys are really helpful and I'm glad for that

Wtf? I honestly don't understand how someone can say "raise your vcore to unlock that 4th core!" It is just literally not going to happen. It has been made very clear by Amd and the board makers that the bios are the reason. It has nothing to do with hardware other than the build date and possibly the core itself once you unlock... :bang head.

I've learned the hard way that going cheap on the motherboard when you have a good cpu even if it is a value cpu like the 550BE that it will burn you in the end most times. To me it is definately worth the extra money for that better mobo.

Wtf? I honestly don't understand how someone can say "raise your vcore to unlock that 4th core!" It is just literally not going to happen. It has been made very clear by Amd and the board makers that the bios are the reason. It has nothing to do with hardware other than the build date and possibly the core itself once you unlock... :bang head.

Hehe, raise voltage to unlock cores? :screwy:

Back