• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my psu is screetching, I think its gnna blow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

Ok, so i just got a new 8800gtx ( more info here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6102931#post6102931 :)

, and i have a 600w stealth xtream psu -- its only about 2 months old
but when i run a game or stress test i hear a sort of screetching sound - and its not the fan, its definatly and elextrical component causeing it

does this mean its like on its way out.?? after 2 months??
the rig in my sig ( + the 8800) shouldnt use more that 600w surely!

How loud is the screeching? Are you sure it's the PSU? I ask b/c my 8800 (and a lot of them if you search around) make a squealing noise when operating at high FPS or doing GPU intensive calculations like Folding@Home; it's very high pitched, just audible enough to be annoying. If you're not positive it's the PSU, an easy way to tell would be to crank the shader clock up and run the same bench. The noise should become higher pitched.

it is a choke that is make thing the noise. it doesnt effect the operation of anything and is just annoying. i would rma the psu but from wolfs words, i would be looking at a new psu.

hmm, it would seem that the noise only comes when the graphics card does any work atall, but not when everything else is stressed, so it must be the 2x 6pin power cables going to the gpu, every time they are used it seems to happen

Back