• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does your D0 run hotter than a C0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you mean .984? Still crazy low. Good performance that doesn't make your power bill sky rocket.

9 stars vs 2 stars. Guess who was correct :)

lol yeah sorry.mI used to working with thin sheetmetal.Im always writing down .089 and .090 .

By the way it goes down to .944v.Thats the lowest ive ever seen.Im sure others do this as well but i was amazed how low it went

And I don't know where this washer crap came from but if you have to use washers to mount a TRUE, then you are doing something seriously wrong from the get-go.

LOL thats good.

Last edited:
Yeah but why buy an i7 920 D0 to run it at 1.6ghz. Turn off the power saving options so it will stay at 2.66 stock and see how low you can go.

Added a pull fan and put the side of my case on. My pc is almost as loud as my AC ;). A bit hotter than I prefer but nothing pushes your system like linx so it should be ok.
4.1 GHZ :attn:

Attachments

• D041ghzpushpull2.JPG
    D041ghzpushpull2.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,259
MY rig at home is a C0, running at 3.41Ghz stable OC @1.215v, Blck is 170. Stock Intel cooler and runs at around ~55C when folding for several hours. Room Temp is ~75F. I will have to check the Batch numbers and such when I get home. This is the rig in my sig. Oh and timings are 7-7-7-20 atm.

I just picked up a newer D0 today though from a local deal ($199.00 at microcenter woot!) and have a motherboard for it on the way so I can see what this baby does. Unfortunately the PSU I would use for this is being RMA'd right now (520W Corsair) so it may be a bit before I get a chance to play around.

I am also currently trying to OC my buddies machine and it is proving much less reliable. Currently at 3.21Ghz, 165BCLK, 1.281v, 9-9-9-28 timings (1.58v on the RAM) and is hitting 70C in Prime95 after just 30min with a much cooler ambient. Only difference is the board (he has the Asus P6T SE) and I am having serious trouble getting it stable.. C0 Stepping, FPO/Batch # 3836B228, Pack Date 3/12/09.
We even bought them on the same day, from the same store, on the same visit lol.

*edit* update for my friend's rig, was able to get it stable at 3.6Ghz @ 185BLCK and 1.28 volts. Had to take a bunch of the Asus crap in the BIOS off of Auto and set the values manually and its good to go now. hits ~75C under full load.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend replacing the stock intel cooler (they pretty much suck) especially if you are overclocking. Microcenter sells D0's for 200?! I thought it was just the C0's? Hopefully you get a batch that runs at normal temps. The RAM volts seem low on your friends pc, most people run at ~1.65 but check on the ram specs before you do it.

Not to nitpick your setup, but can a 520w handle an overclocked 920 and an overclocked 285 with 4 drives + extras? You might be cutting it close.

TRUEs are cheap from http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/.

I'd highly recommend replacing the stock intel cooler (they pretty much suck) especially if you are overclocking. Microcenter sells D0's for 200?! I thought it was just the C0's? Hopefully you get a batch that runs at normal temps. The RAM volts seem low on your friends pc, most people run at ~1.65 but check on the ram specs before you do it.

Not to nitpick your setup, but can a 520w handle an overclocked 920 and an overclocked 285 with 4 drives + extras? You might be cutting it close.

TRUEs are cheap from http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/.

My main rig runs on an 850W, the 520 that is being RMA'd will be running a stock 260 and an OC'ed 920, I dont think it will be a problem. And the microcenter deal is only until this Friday and its a hit or miss on the D0's Apparently I got the last one yesterday but they are getting another shipiment today so if you get lucky you can snag a D0. And yes I have a V8 on the way I just wanted to see what I could do with the stock cooler and since its running at only 55C on full load right now I would say thats incredibly acceptable.

I got a C0 that runs roughly the same temperature, but my highs on the cores are more flat near the 71-75C area. I run 3.8 w/ 1.225V (1.27V Loaded).

*edit* apparently the stupid temp monitor for this mobo is increbily innacurate. Correct readings using alternate app put the temps at 67C under full load. Still stock cooler for now.

*edit* apparently the stupid temp monitor for this mobo is increbily innacurate. Correct readings using alternate app put the temps at 67C under full load. Still stock cooler for now.

Temp sensors on board never read correct. Always have to use CoreTemp or RealTemp to get temperatures.

Temp sensors on board never read correct. Always have to use CoreTemp or RealTemp to get temperatures.

Ya its been a while since Ive messed with this stuff so it had slipped my mind, but 65-70C full load on stock cooler is still perfectly acceptable for me, aftermarket will be added this weekend with the new case. Now if only the new aerocoolers will come out for the GTX 285 so I can cool off this branding iron of a vid card....

From the other thread
"looks like you have a normal temp > high vcore chip. the best of the best D0's i've seen thus far are high temp > low vcore chips."

Interesting.
that was me, my 3845B026 is one of the "hot" ones. at 4GHz @ 1.184v under load, the temps are the same as my 965 at 4GHz with 1.400v under load. they clearly have different thermal characteristics. these "hot" D0's tend to run higher clocks at ridiculously low voltages compared to the "cool" chips, but run around the same temps for stable overclocks...so it is a give and take. i mean, who cares if you are running super low vCORE if your temps are limiting the OC, and vice-versa, who cares if you are running high vCORE if your temps aren't limiting the OC.

the key is to keep these "hot" chips cool. with proper water cooling, 4.4GHz ~ 4.5GHz stable 24/7 with reasonable voltage isn't out of the question...if you can keep temps down. it is really crazy how hot they get for those that haven't seen.

i don't have water and haven't had my 920 under air cooling for more than a couple hours so i have no comparisons there. but i can run through 06 all day long at 4.7GHz with only 1.275v at -30 under a single stage and 06 at 5.2GHz under LN2...my C0 965 sure can't do either, or even come close ;)

My main rig runs on an 850W, the 520 that is being RMA'd will be running a stock 260 and an OC'ed 920, I dont think it will be a problem. And the microcenter deal is only until this Friday and its a hit or miss on the D0's Apparently I got the last one yesterday but they are getting another shipiment today so if you get lucky you can snag a D0. And yes I have a V8 on the way I just wanted to see what I could do with the stock cooler and since its running at only 55C on full load right now I would say thats incredibly acceptable.

Sounds like you know whats what. I should have trusted the stars :santa:. 70c with OC on stock cooler, nice, I didn't even try the stock cooler, but the reviews I read made them look pretty bad at full load.

that was me, my 3845B026 is one of the "hot" ones. at 4GHz @ 1.184v under load, the temps are the same as my 965 at 4GHz with 1.400v under load. they clearly have different thermal characteristics. these "hot" D0's tend to run higher clocks at ridiculously low voltages compared to the "cool" chips, but run around the same temps for stable overclocks...so it is a give and take. i mean, who cares if you are running super low vCORE if your temps are limiting the OC, and vice-versa, who cares if you are running high vCORE if your temps aren't limiting the OC.

the key is to keep these "hot" chips cool. with proper water cooling, 4.4GHz ~ 4.5GHz stable 24/7 with reasonable voltage isn't out of the question...if you can keep temps down. it is really crazy how hot they get for those that haven't seen.

i don't have water and haven't had my 920 under air cooling for more than a couple hours so i have no comparisons there. but i can run through 06 all day long at 4.7GHz with only 1.275v at -30 under a single stage and 06 at 5.2GHz under LN2...my C0 965 sure can't do either, or even come close ;)

Thats exactly why I started this thread. I had my C0 at 3.8ghz @ 1.32v and 71c under load and saw all these D0s doing 4ghz+ @ < 1.3v and thought wow I'll be able to OC the crap out of one of those. Then I got a D0 and my temps skyrocketed at 1.184v :screwy:. Now that my air is decked out and I got 4.1ghz stable I rarely pass 70c while folding 2 smps + GPU. So I'm ok. Linx still bothers me a little. I'm not quite hardcore enough for better cooling... yet. But 4.5ghz+ is awfully appealing, Maybe if I need a new project this summer :drool:.

They need to make an "im not worthy" smiley.

Thanks All!

Sounds like you know whats what. I should have trusted the stars :santa:. 70c with OC on stock cooler, nice, I didn't even try the stock cooler, but the reviews I read made them look pretty bad at full load.

Thanks All!

Hehe n/p :D

V8 is installed and temps are hovering around 58C under full load, will be pushing towards 4.0Ghz this weekend :beer:

The only way that will happen is if your "hot one" is a higher current and/or higher leakage core bin at stock. Happens in nearly every gen of CPUs. They run hot but will clock very well, above the average.

The only way that will happen is if your "hot one" is a higher current and/or higher leakage core bin at stock. Happens in nearly every gen of CPUs. They run hot but will clock very well, above the average.
yup, that's exactly what it is. like the good old E6600 L629B's...mmmm, loved the LN2.

Interesting. I was kinda freaking out because I overpaid for a D0 when I had a pretty decent C0. I'm happy with it now. If only MicroCenter would stop flooding the market with $200 chips so I could sell the C0, lol.

This is really only my 2nd/3rd overclock so I don't know the super in depth details. I'll definitely be researching batch #s and steppings before I buy my next proc. I got lucky on my first oc. It was an Opty 165 and by chance I got like the 2nd best batch so I didn't give it much thought this time around. Lesson learned.

Maybe you guys can answer this. Since these hot D0's run at lower voltages that means they use less watts right? Even though they have high leakage which makes em hot.

i been priming at 21x186 1.25 bios, 1.22 real, 1.2 qpi and 1.1 IOH and with normal room temps my highs were 68,65,65,64

Looks like you got a hot one too. Good temps/volts, still plenty of room to push it further if you were so inclined. Not that 3.9 isn't a 46% overclock already lol. These i7s are beasts!

hot or not ? my D0 around same as my C0s, high vcore + low temps heh

System:

Room ambient temp = 23.5-26C

• Win 7 Ultimate 64bit RC OS used
  • Powermate wattage meter reads peak system power consumption of ~628 watts drawn from wall

Linx 0.5.8.2 Load

linx_20pass_load_tn.png

Linx 0.5.8.2 20 pass

linx_20pass_finished_3dmark06_2_tn.png

You will definitly be stressing a 520W depending on what other devices you intend to run. 260 is pretty low power at idle, but an OCed i7 is going to draw a lot of juice.

MY 560W Silverstone was not enough for a phII and 2 4850s at stock. Granted thats an extra hundred Watts on hte video card, but probably 50 less on hte CPU/Mobo combo. It actually did power it up and run it, but not for long...

Back