• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

April Folding Contest Part#2: Spread the Cause!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
That's right ladies and gentleman, The second part of the April Fold for the cause contest has been released!!!

Because I am so late in getting the 2nd part out, I will be immediately launching the 3rd part very shortly after. Part 4 of the contest is set to start on April 4th and will be our major recruitment drive.

The objective of this second part of the contest is to spread the cause all over the world.

There are a near unlimited different number of ways to earn contest entries. The main thing is to get creative and spread the folding word to as many people as possible around the world. You do not need to advertize Team32 if you do not want to, but feel free if you do ;)

Here are some examples of things you can do...

2 contest entries: Post folding posters or hand out folding fliers all over town. +1 bonus entry if you take a photo of yourself in a wicked pose while posting/ handing stuff out!

2-10 contest entries: Make a youtube vid promoting any aspect of folding@home that you can imagine. Number of contest entries will be determined by the total awesomeness of the video. +10 contest entries if your vid can manage 5,000 views and/or 50 ratings or comments by the end of the contest period. +1 bonus point for mentioning Team32 in the vid. A bonus +10 entries will be awarded to the best Video :eek:. (also of note that you do not have to upload to youtube, but it sure does make it alot more simple for me to track stuff since we have our own Youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/OCTEAM32 )

2-10 contest entries: for making posters and hanging around crowded shopping malls advertising folding at home. Bonus points if you make a cool vid about it.

1 contest entries: for blogging about FAH or tell us right here in this thread, 200 words or more why you fold.

THE GRAND AMAZING!!!

10-15 Contest entries for anyone that makes a very highly detailed step by step video guide for installing FAH. Subjects should include the following:
1. Standard Client
2. SMP Client
3. GPU2 Client
4. Folding in Linux and Virtual machines.

The vid should be mind numbingly easy to follow and have links to all the required resources (you can put links into youtube videos with annotations). The best Video guide submitted will receive a bonus 20 contest entries. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Other awesome Ideas (just to name a few)

Flash mobs
Giving folding speeches
Folding Podcasts
Spreading the word on other sites (a note about this one, Please don't spam random sites, but I am sure a few people would like to know about our contest. )
Getting a folding article published in a newspaper or news site. (including your school newspaper) ;)
Promoting Folding at home from your own website

Rules are very simple...

All submissions are to be posted into this thread. If you do not post your submission in this thread then you will not get any credit.

If you help spread the word, you will get at least 1 entry. All entries for this part of the contest will be judged by myself and one or two other volenteers (probably seniors). You may promote your own team if you wish, the objective of this part of the contest is to get the word out not promote Team32, there are other parts of the contest that will promote Team32.

1. Unfortunately, I did not want to do this, but proof of your efforts will be a requirement in order to get contest entries. I could not think of any other way to effectivly deterr cheating. So post a pic or video of your efforts in this thread!

2. Any YouTube videos submitted will be added into a folding playlist on our Youtube channel.

3. If you submit an awesome video, I may ask you if we can host the vid directly from our Youtube channel and our website, You may decline this offer if you don't want to do this without any ill effects on how many contest entries you will get. We will give credit to you and your team if you accept our offer.

4. Rules are important, Please do not break any laws from any authority, do not violate any rules from any forum or site. I do not want to see any negative feedback to come back to team32, that is not the goal of this contest and anyone breaking any rule or law may have their contest entries revoked (especially if it's serious).

5. All submissions will be judged at the end of the contest. If your photos, vids, or links are broken during the judging period (up to 3 days after the end of the contest) then you may not receive any contest entries.

6. These rules are subject to change in order to ensure continued fairness. Anyone trying to exploit a loophole in these contest rules to gain additional entries should remember that the contest Administration has the full right to revoke your contest entries if your actions are considered unfair to other contestants. Things like user accounts fraud, Artificially inflating youtube hits, etc. will not be tolerated.

7. If you have any recommended changes to the rules especially to make them legally sound or if you have an issue with any rule, PM ME, I'd be more than happy to hear you out.

Because this part of the contest can get pretty complicating, I will be checking in on this thread regularly to answer anyones questions at least once a day.

For additional information,
Check out our website @
http://team32contests.com

and our youtube site @
http://www.youtube.com/user/OCTEAM32

Last edited:
Also guys, One last thing to mention, Part 4 of the Contest will be about recruiting new members, New members and the people that recruited them will both receive entries into the contest... more details on April 4th...

Don't worry, I have clause that will cover members that have joined within the last 2 weeks to keep things fair to those that recently joined.

Looks like I am going to the copy shop tomorrow :D

And printing a big ol poster out on the plotter in the CAD design lab :D

Last edited:
Cmon guys, You could win some serious hardware for making a couple posters... If I wasn't running the contest, i'd be all over that!!!

I have no where to go to hand out or post posters really. Or I should say no time.

I did make a front page article about the chances to win here at the forums on my website link in sig.

Possible edit here later for the 1 entry with 200 words :D

I am planning on creating a resources page on the site with information and sample posters for spreading the word, however i've had very little time to do so...

WonderingSoul asked me to design a poster for the April Contest. Since he asked so nicely, I made him a pretty sweet poster (at least i think so). It's going to be posted all over Millersville University and he's going to print out a huge one.

You'd better get printing boyfriend :)

FaH-1.jpg

Last edited:
WonderingSoul asked me to design a poster for the April Contest. Since he asked so nicely, I made him a pretty sweet poster (at least i think so). It's going to be posted all over Millersville University and he's going to print out a huge one.

You'd better get printing boyfriend :)

Thanks girlfriend :cool:

Feel free to put the poster up on the main page. I would attach the PDF to this post but... "Your file of 737.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 585.9 KB for this filetype. "

If you want to PM your email ozzlo, I will send you the pdf.

I like almost all the rules...except for one..

you can get +10 entries if your youtube video reaches 500,000 views? seriously, half a million?

I'm subscribed to some pretty big people on youtube. One youtuber i'm subscribed to is VERY popular, the minute he posts a new video, It's listed on Reddit.com and on the front page for at least a few hours, and *NONE* of his video's have reached the 500,000 mark. The best he has done is 400,000 views. Seriously, his video's are posted on reddit ( I think they get on digg too...but i can't remember ), If reddit can't give a guy half a million views...I honestly don't know what will.

I just think that the 500,000 mark is WAY too high. That, or the bonus entries one gets for a feat of 500,000 views is much too small.

Other than spamming the entire internet, or using bots to artificially raise the view count, I honestly don't see anyone hitting that 500,000 mark.

Honestly, I'd think that 50,000 is a much more realistic goal. getting 50,000 views is a pretty hard task in it's own, but slightly more realistic as well. It's not like you will see more than 1 or 2 people hitting 50k views. Honestly, Most views will be in the HUNDREDS, maybe...maybe get between 1,000 and 3,000 views.

I just think that the 500,000 number should be re-thought, and lowered a bit.

*back to regular topic*

I wish I had a printer on hand...I'd easily be able to throw up some fliers, ads, posters...etc. at my local mall, At the grocery store where they have the boards for people to advertise stuff...etc..etc. Hell, Scotch tape and a 20 min walk around walmart would be a good way to do it too.

I like almost all the rules...except for one..

you can get +10 entries if your youtube video reaches 500,000 views? seriously, half a million?

I'm subscribed to some pretty big people on youtube. One youtuber i'm subscribed to is VERY popular, the minute he posts a new video, It's listed on Reddit.com and on the front page for at least a few hours, and *NONE* of his video's have reached the 500,000 mark. The best he has done is 400,000 views. Seriously, his video's are posted on reddit ( I think they get on digg too...but i can't remember ), If reddit can't give a guy half a million views...I honestly don't know what will.

I just think that the 500,000 mark is WAY too high. That, or the bonus entries one gets for a feat of 500,000 views is much too small.

Other than spamming the entire internet, or using bots to artificially raise the view count, I honestly don't see anyone hitting that 500,000 mark.

Honestly, I'd think that 50,000 is a much more realistic goal. getting 50,000 views is a pretty hard task in it's own, but slightly more realistic as well. It's not like you will see more than 1 or 2 people hitting 50k views. Honestly, Most views will be in the HUNDREDS, maybe...maybe get between 1,000 and 3,000 views.

I just think that the 500,000 number should be re-thought, and lowered a bit.

*back to regular topic*

I wish I had a printer on hand...I'd easily be able to throw up some fliers, ads, posters...etc. at my local mall, At the grocery store where they have the boards for people to advertise stuff...etc..etc. Hell, Scotch tape and a 20 min walk around walmart would be a good way to do it too.

Reduced to 5000 ;)

Reduced to 5000 ;)

Heh, I honestly didn't think my post would have *THAT* much of an impact on the number.

Though I bet a few people will be more inclined to make a youtube video, as seeing how 5,000 views is much more realistic. Still pretty hard to pull off, But no where near impossible.

Thanks for keeping an open mind to the criticisms of the rules though.

I am here to make sure things are fair and fun... after having a second look, 500,000 did not seem to be either.

Cmon guys I was expecting more posters and videos than I knew what to do with... What is required to tempt you guys into making some liquid awesome? I'm pretty flexible, tell me your demands :D

Back