• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you guys handle the 4850 inadequate cooling @ stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
At stock everything, FurMark gets it above 108° and it's game over. I increased the speed of the fan from 60% to 100% (like see below), but still it gets above 108° after 7 minutes and you know what happens.

Besides buying a new cooler, I mean isn't this thing supposed to pass FurMark at stock with fan on 100%?

ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB Catalyst Control Center > Click on the golden key icon > OK > Profiles TAB > Profiles Manager ... >
Type in a profile name > Activation TAB > Desktop shortcut > Save > Activate & Close >

Windows XP > \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles\CustomNameIgave.xml

Right click > Edit >
Instead of Automatic type in Manual in line
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />

Under FanSpeedRPMTarget, instead of 60 type in 100 in line
<Property name="Want" value="60" />

File > Save

Catalyst Control Center > Profiles > Activate Profile > Select the newly created Profile > OK

EDIT: I had a PCI sound card installed directly next to the video card, effectively blocking air circulation into the video card, after taking it out, max temperatures dropped from 108° crash temps to 76° C. So guys, don't install any cards next to your video card, pass the word.

If you have PCI cards, switching your video card to the other slot is a must.

When you do and reboot ATi will complain that the drivers are not installed. No need to install new drivers, just make sure you only have your primary monitor connected. Disconnect the other one if you have it connected (to avoid confusing ATi and reducing the max resolution).

Now simply allow ATi to complain & detect for a minute, then reboot & all should be well again.

EDIT2: ... except if you have a bottom mounted PSU, then putting the video card in the other slot just substitutes the PSU blocking air circulation vs, PCI card blocking it. My solution is only to take the PCI card out since I can't even mount the side fan because my Thermalright heatsink is so huge.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Well increasingfna speed to 60 dropped the load temp to teh 80s on my 4850

Dont think there is much else you can do. THrowing a fan in the area normally helps but not so much on the 4850.

Send it back as overheating and get a differnet model I guess

I can only RMA but that's not... ugh... how about applying some arctic silver 5 and remounting the cooler or no?

I can't be the only one with this prob... I'll look into doing it but do I hear anyone second what he's saying :)

Yea, its worth a try to apply some different TIM. While you have that stock cooler off, why not mount an aftermarket cooler like the Accelero S1 on it instead? :p

when i had 4850's i messed with them so much. End of the day in cf i just turned the fans up and they loaded mid 60's gaming .... shrugg worked well enough for me.

Heh. Yeah.

Wel doggonit, Asus TOP is factory overclocked to 680 MHz GPU clock / 1050 MHz Memory clock, supposedly on account of having a non-reference better cooler.

I looked into what some non-overclocked specs for the 4850 were and reduced my factory overclocked Asus TOP speeds from 680 to 625 MHz GPU clock and from 1050 to 960 MHz Memory clock, which I gather are some non overclocked speeds for the 4850.

*bam* it passed the recommended 15 minutes of FurMark at 105° C max temp.

I was gonna try to find middle ground but 105° is only a coupla degrees below the 108°-ish crash temperature.

Do you guys think the fact that I have a PCI sound card installed right next to the video card, possibly blocking the fan somewhat is a big contributing factor?

EDIT:
One way to find out, I'll let you know in 15-20 minutes.

Antec 900 case, PSU is bottom mounted so the PSU fan faces up, as I'm taking the sound card out, I'm thinking huh, a screw can fall inside that PSU enclosure being mounted at the bottom with the fan facing up... no points for guessing what happened next. :bang head

With the PCI sound card out and not blocking the video card fan, Max temp now was... whaaa 76°! Well I'll be damned, the PSU fan blowing right into the video card from the bottom with no cards inbetween surely helped!

Hm.... so that's what it was. Install a PCI card and lose your 4850 stability. What are the downsides of installing the video card in the other video card slot and then installing the PCI card above it?

Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Antec 900 case, PSU is bottom mounted so the PSU fan faces up, as I'm taking the sound card out, I'm thinking huh, a screw can fall inside that PSU enclosure being mounted at the bottom with the fan facing up... no points for guessing what happened next. :bang head

With the PCI sound card out and not blocking the video card fan, Max temp now was... whaaa 76°! Well I'll be damned, the PSU fan blowing right into the video card from the bottom with no cards inbetween surely helped!

Hm.... so that's what it was. Install a PCI card and lose your 4850 stability. What are the downsides of installing the video card in the other video card slot and then installing the PCI card above it?

ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

The PSU fan dos not blow air, it sucks air thru the PSU enclosure and vents out the rear.

Anyways, it seems that the sound card was starving the vid card from airflow. Shouldnt be an issue to swap the vid card into the other slot if it gives the 4850 room to breathe.

What a nightmare. Changing the video card to the other slot.... The BIOS reset, the video drivers went berserk, even when they reinstalled, I can't get my monitor top resolution to show up. This sucks.

I was gonna buy a new sound card that uses one of those little slots when a good deal came along, now I have to look for it or live with video instability until I can remove the PCi sound card.

Well in all fairness, nothing heats up a video card like furmark.

Games wont do it and even 3dmark wont

I still think if you are crashing with fan set to 100% that the problem is with the card.

Fans at stock run at like 25% and increasing it to 60% solved my overheating problems (I just could not live with the additinoal noise so I purchased the 3rd party cooler.

But definitly unrestricted airflow to the video card is a good thing, just can not go wrong with that :)

(Have you tried replacingthe TIM yet?)

lol@the comment about the psu and screws falling in with the 900, ive done it a few times. Now when i take cards out i stick a piece of paper over the psu so it wont happen. I think i may have to take out my pci wireless card and see if that helps with my 4830s at all, they only get to about 60c using the atitool artifact testing thing when theyre overclocked but im not sure if im actually seeing both gpu temps, maybe the one by the wireless card is overheating and thats why i cant oc over 700mhz core

i'll have to give furmark a try when i get home on my rig. i was running 3dmark06 last night and i believe my vram had higher temps compared to the core. but even then both were probably maxing around 70 degrees or so give or take 5 degrees. i noticed that placing in intake fan on my helped decreased overall temps by about 5 degrees though.

If you have PCI cards, switching your video card to the other slot is a must.

When you do and reboot ATi will complain that the drivers are not installed. No need to install new drivers, just make sure you only have your primary monitor connected. Disconnect the other one if you have it connected (to avoid confusing ATi and reducing the max resolution).

Now simply allow ATi to complain & detect for a minute, then reboot & all should be well again.

oh-oh!

The second slot is so close to bottom mounted power supply that the fan again does not have adequate room for air circulation! FurMark temps now jumped from 76° max to 110° C crash temps.

So the only solution is to put the video card back to slot 1 and not have any other cards below.

Aww.... :(

oh-oh!

The second slot is so close to bottom mounted power supply that the fan again does not have adequate room for air circulation! FurMark temps now jumped from 76° max to 110° C crash temps.

So the only solution is to put the video card back to slot 1 and not have any other cards below.

Aww.... :(

If you are running a case, just add a fan to the side panel so it brings in cool air for the VGA card.

If not running a case, prop a fan in there to help force cool air onto it.

I have 2x4850 in crossfire and for benching I dropped an 80mm fan so the cards support it and it adds fresh air to the stock sapphire card.

Yes! My Antec nine hundred case case has one extra fan holder on the side but also a fan holder right inside the case above the hard drives to help cool the card. I have only one extra 120mm fan, which side should I mount the extra fan on do you think?

Right now I have two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan.

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Stick it by the video card. I can run furmark with my 4850 crossfire and not breach 80*C w/ fans at 50%.

All details are in my signature.

if you REALLY wana give your card a workout, rename your furmark.exe to something else.. the ATI drivers limit the fps/temps of furmark due to people killing cards with it.

Back