• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My HTPC 3.0: Server/Clients setup + better energy efficient.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
History:

I've been using HTPC for my house's TV duty for almost 5 yrs now since 2004.

v1.0: in 2004, I built my first HTPC for my home. it had a P4 520, 6600GT, 2x 300GB Matrox HDD, a PVR500 MCE, etc. it served me fine, and I was playing CS:S almost every single night on my 52" 720p HDTV in the living room, and love the convenience of recording the show onto a PC, watch it whenever I want. and I've never look back.....

v2.0: in 2006, when HD channels started to take off and becoming the next big thing. I've moved onto HD too. bought a Fusion5 Lite OTA HD tuner. however, the P4 520 was too underpowered to play back the recorded HD shows from BeyondTV. so I've built a new HTPC, and this time around, I from the previous experience, I chose to go watercooled for both reduce noise and for the fun. Here's the build thread.

v2.5: in 2007, I want to be able to watch TV in the bedroom too. so I built a thin HTPC client using a Shuttle XPC barebone (build thread). and in the meantime, I started to store all my ripped/downloaded/collected movies, tv series/shows, music, etc. onto my personal PC too since I'm (again) running out of HDD room on the main living room HTPC.

v3.0: now, fast forward to fall/winter of 2008, I know it's not a good way to have my personal PC also served as a media server. and the living room HTPC is starting to get a bit dated (for HD-PVR's H.264 recording), and running out of room soon. so, I decided to rebuilt the "whole house" media distribution setup again for longer term usage. plus my power bill is getting out of hand w/ so many PCs in the house (at one point, I had way more than a dozen PCs and most of them were running 100% loaded 24/7 w/ 3x Tri/Quad GPU machines.); therefore, I also want to make my HTPCs more energy efficient too!

first, I want to have a real server for serving all the media files duty and while at it, also want to back up all the PCs in the house. so, I choose WHS (Windows Home Server) for it's ease of use, set it and forget it backups, and good future proof upgrade path (just keep adding more HDD when needed versus rebuild a RAID array). I did look into a few other server options (e.g. unRAID was another good choice that Jon is using in his house).

my WHS server was mainly built for low budget in mind. so I bought a cheap, on sales Antec 300 case (6 3.5 HDD space plus I could use 5.25->3.5 converter for more HDD space when needed, and very good airflow), I reuse some of the parts that I had laying around to keep the cost down.

spec:
Antec 300 case (has potential for at least 10 HDD)
Gigabyte P35-DS3 (laying around)
E2180 (laying around)
2GB ram (laying around)
1x WD 750GB AAKS (previously used to store media file in my main PC)
2x WD 1TB Green drives
1x WD 2TB Green drive
1x Seagate 750GB 7200.10 (from my previous main living room HTPC)
a DVD burner (laying around too)

it sits in my basement storage and sipping just under 80w according to my kill-a-watt.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
in the living room, I rebuilt it a new one from scratch and mainly want to use a single HDMI connection from the HTPC to the AVR and want to make sure it'll have no problem for any HD materials included Bluray movies. and since I've got a real server to serve the media files, this HTPC will be left for just PVR serving duty (thought 'bout even move this duty onto the home server; however, rewiring the cable from the living room down to the basement is a bit too costly and troublesome.....).

and in the meantime, I've also upgraded the whole audio system in the living room, thus I want to be able to use a single HDMI connection.

spec:
Antec Fusion Black (my personal fav HTPC case, quiet and good airflow)
P5Q-EM
E8400
LG Bluray/DVD burner combo
1x HVR-950 OTA HD tuner (might add back the old Fusion5 HDTV Lite in it later on)
2x HD-PVR tuners for 2x DirecTV STB
1x Seagate 1.5TB HDD (only for recording TV shows)
Harmony 880 (my old and trusty)
idle @ just over 50w!

audio upgardes:
Onkyo 606 (bought it in early Dec. when amazon having it for $310 shipped!! really can't resist!! plus it has no EDIE/handshake problem from HTPC when using HDMI input.)
Mirage Omnisat OS3 5.0 speakers (2x FS, 1x CC, 2x SAT)
Velodyne SPL-800 sub for .1 LFE duty

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

as for the bedroom, I'm still using the same Shuttle XPC SFF thin HTPC client. however, I did reuse some parts from the previous living room HTPC in it for better performance tho.

spec:
Shuttle XPC SFF
E6600
HIS 2600Pro w/ Ice cooler
idle @ just under 80w, I think it's mainly due to the 2600Pro.... however, most of the time, it's in sleep mode consuming <4w anyway.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

also, this time around, I've ditched my beloved Meedio and moved to MediaPortal to further "modernized" the system's software-side. and I really love it not just for the more modern look, but also it's ease of setup (especially when compare to Meedio).

and it's great support (and again easily to setup) for fanart/banner for movies/tv series from thetvdb.com and moviedb.org, or even easy for me to make them myself and use it. I've been busy working on thetvdb.com, trying to add/update on it's database (mainly the asian series).

and another plus is it's support of unicode since I have quite a big collection of asian movies/tv series.

here's some screen shots:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
and lastly, my dedicated home theater that I built in early 08'. ;) (I have a progress thread of the HT over @ avsforum)

Epson home cinema 1080UB projector
100" Elite CineWhite screen
Yamaha RX-V1800
Full Definitive Technology speakers: BP7006 x 2, CLR2300, BP1.2x x 2, and a SuperCubeI sub.
Panamax 5300 power conditioner
Harmony 1000 remote
Wii
PS3
etc.

68.jpg

Last edited:
and lastly, my dedicated home theater that I built in early 08'. ;)

Epson home cinema 1080UB projector
100" Elite CineWhite screen
Yamaha RX-V1800
Full Definitive Technology speakers: BP7006 x 2, CLR2300, BP1.2x x 2, and a SuperCubeI sub.
Panamax 5300 power conditioner
Harmony 1000 remote
Wii
PS3
etc.

68.jpg

Did that "TV Stand" actually go with a Vertical LCD mount? it looks really similar to my LCD TV stand I just bought.

I showed a co-worker this and I must agree with his statement, you must not be married, not have kids or both....

I showed a co-worker this and I must agree with his statement, you must not be married, not have kids or both....

lol..... it's only partially right. I do have a fiance who live w/ me in my townhouse for almost 3 yrs now and we are getting marry next yr. she fully support me on the home theater and htpc as she's really do like the HTPC idea rather than paying and restricts on a PVR box. and she's somewhat a geek girl too (she's a web/.net developer for Lockee Martin and use her 20" iMac running Vista for most of her windows programming when she's working at home).

in fact, she helps me for updating the fanart/banner and series info for thetvdb.com, and also helps me on some of the MediaPortal problem solving too, looking into the log file. (she's also the one who wrote all the F@H stats gadgets in my sig. too!)

we are looking into (thinking, planning, shopping, etc.) moving to a single family home later on this year or early next year, and she already said we can hold out on the furnitures and stuffs, but I'll have to build another dedicated home theater in the basement first as she fully enjoy playing her Wii games on the big screen and movie time in the HT! and she paid for the pair of Mirage Omnisat OS3 FS as my x'mas gift too! yeah, I'm a lucky guy! :D :p

here she is watching Superbowl w/ me in the HT.

photo1gx3.jpg

oh we do have a 2yrs old fur kid, a miniture schnauzer, does it count too?! :D

Very nice LS! I've recently been using MediaPortal as well for my movie collection (got tired of getting up to put the discs in) and will soon be adding a tuner.

I also love the Antec Fusion case. What heat sink are you using in there? I'm worried about clearance issues with the larger ones I have laying around.

Very nice LS! I've recently been using MediaPortal as well for my movie collection (got tired of getting up to put the discs in) and will soon be adding a tuner.

I also love the Antec Fusion case. What heat sink are you using in there? I'm worried about clearance issues with the larger ones I have laying around.

I'm using Moving Picture plug in for MP, best movie browser plug in I must say!! and could easily add your own fanart/cover if there's none for your movie over @ themoviedb.org (e.g. foreign movies)

I'm using Ninja Mini and it has no problem at all.

Extremely impressive (and clean) setup LandShark. From your equipment, HTPC setups, to the room itself you can really tell just from the pictures that you enjoy this as a hobby!

I've always wanted to get away from my DishDVR's, I see you have DirecTV - you are able to record from both tuners with no limitations? I have 2 DishHD tuners at the moment (ViP722 unit) + an antenna on my roof for all my local channel needs. I've been researching my options and it seems you may be able to assist me.

My HT room (been remodeling my basement for over a year now) will be finished in a few weeks (still staining trim and the carpet guy is coming in a week). Then it will be time to sit down and order some equipment! :)

Extremely impressive (and clean) setup LandShark. From your equipment, HTPC setups, to the room itself you can really tell just from the pictures that you enjoy this as a hobby!

I've always wanted to get away from my DishDVR's, I see you have DirecTV - you are able to record from both tuners with no limitations? I have 2 DishHD tuners at the moment (ViP722 unit) + an antenna on my roof for all my local channel needs. I've been researching my options and it seems you may be able to assist me.

My HT room (been remodeling my basement for over a year now) will be finished in a few weeks (still staining trim and the carpet guy is coming in a week). Then it will be time to sit down and order some equipment! :)

tks Mr.Chamers! :beer:

yes, it is a pretty expensive hobby (mainly the audio/video parts)..... luckily, I have a very very understanding (and also enjoyed) fiance/wife. :D

I have 2 HD-PVR, each connected to a DirecTV HD STB. and also have a roof antenna for the HVR-950 for local HD channels. the HD-PVR is the only device at the moment that can capture ANY HD channels, e.g. DiscoveryHD, SpeedHD, ESPNHD, HBO HD, etc. (given you paid for the subscription), from a HD STB (cable or satellite).

I know how that feel when building a HT room.... here's my HT room's build thread :cool:

Very nice, Gary! I've got a finished basement with drop ceiling that I'd like to convert one day. Right now, it's just used as a server room. You definitely provide some things to consider when that time comes.

Very nice setups, they are a good inspiration for me to get off my butt and start mine up. I
'm just scared at the start-up costs :eek: Have to start small. I am very impressed though, and your setup is something that I can look to for motivation. :)

Very nice, Gary! I've got a finished basement with drop ceiling that I'd like to convert one day. Right now, it's just used as a server room. You definitely provide some things to consider when that time comes.

Very nice setups, they are a good inspiration for me to get off my butt and start mine up. I
'm just scared at the start-up costs :eek: Have to start small. I am very impressed though, and your setup is something that I can look to for motivation. :)

tks guys! and glad I could give you the idea! my HT is pretty small when compare to others (more like any regular room, 12'x15'!) and was started as my computer lab and housing my folding farm too as you see from the "before" pics. but I must say it's the best investment in the house for us! we really really enjoyed. in the past 12 months, we only went to the cinema for a movie ONCE, and that was Iconman!

Very nice setup LS!

I've been looking at MediaPortal myself. I initially just went w/ Vista-Media-Center to get going. That MP interface is slick!

Very nice setup LS!

I've been looking at MediaPortal myself. I initially just went w/ Vista-Media-Center to get going. That MP interface is slick!

yeah, I really like Media Portal a lot! (and that said a lot since I was a Meedio user for 4+yrs, and had also tried SageTV/MC too) may be I'll do a short video clip of the interface later on. ;)

Back