• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high PII 940 Temps on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satansangel114

I need to know why my temps read so high, It seems like everybody but me can keep temps low with insane volts and clocks. yet this one runs in the low 60s on less volts, I have re-set hs 5 times and still reading the same temps. now Im out of as5 and starting to think its my bios reporting the temps wrong:confused: bacause when I touch the base of my hs its hardly warm. I eaven lapped my hs because it wasnt perfictly flat, it didnt it help much at all.

I was just wondering if its just a glitch in my bios, because the temps were the same with the PI.

Hear it a ss. of my temps at idel.
temp.jpg

What do you all think?

Might be the bios or the fact that biostar doesnt have mosfet cooling. If i remember right someone here had one with a 140w 9950 and got a near 15c reduction in temps with mosfet cooling. Seems the board was just pumping voltage out like no tomorrow to keep things working internally with the huge power draw.

There are reports of the Phenom IIs that have heat issues. If you believe that your 940 is one of them, give AMD a call and make sure to have your model number and all that stuff with you.

core temp shows the same, I think it may be a bios problem because when I enabled acc on my phenom 1 It would report 120+ temps in both coretemp and speedfan.

I do have a sink on the mosfets with a 60mm fan on it, they stay nice n cool;)

I might try an older bios, and if that dont work Ill call amd.

It could very well be the bios.

For the Foxconn mobo that I have, it's reporting a constant 40C. It's obviously wrong and they know about the issue. Luckily AMD Overdrive is able to give a reading to me so I use that application to check why my temp is at idle and at full load.

Ok I think somthing is outawack with this thing, while sitting in the bios the cpu temp is reading 29c ans system temp of 26C with stock volts and clocks,yet in windows I get this
temps.jpg
I think its reading the wrong sensors, temps 2 and 3 match my bios readings:shrug:

different bios was no help.

I need to know why my temps read so high, It seems like everybody but me can keep temps low with insane volts and clocks. yet this one runs in the low 60s on less volts, I have re-set hs 5 times and still reading the same temps. now Im out of as5 and starting to think its my bios reporting the temps wrong:confused: bacause when I touch the base of my hs its hardly warm. I eaven lapped my hs because it wasnt perfictly flat, it didnt it help much at all.

I was just wondering if its just a glitch in my bios, because the temps were the same with the PI.

Hear it a ss. of my temps at idel.
View attachment 71050

What do you all think?

I had the same problem. Did you actually have problem with thermal throttling? Why don't you try to run small Prime or Intel Burn Test? For me, it just overheats and thermal throttles.

No it never throttled once, I eaven ran furmark with three insatnces of prime to test the worst case. the temps were reading 63 to 66 bot clockspeed never dropped.

I did yank my two empty drivebay covers off and put a 90mm fan running fresh air into the hs fan. it helped a little, temps now run about 55 under prime but from what I hear thats still high for the volts Im using.

Im tsarting to think about going watter:D

Can you put a push pull fan setup on your hs? With one bigger fan like you are ordering my guess is you will get 1-4 degrees improvement.

I mean, how do I identity the mosfets on my mobo? In general, what do they look like and how can you identify them. There's a lot of electronic gizmos on a mobo so how do you tell them apart from other things like resistors?

Concerning the question of your temp readings being inaccurate, from my experience, that's a real possibility. Last summer I was running an X2 5000+ be on my Gigabyte 780g-based board and cooling it with an Andy Samurai Master. Not a bad after market cooler but not the best either. When stress testing I was getting temps that were uncomfortably high. Went from there to a Zalman 9700. Dropped 5-6 degrees in temps but still not satisfied. So, recently I went with a lapped TRUE. Got the temps down to acceptable levels. Recently, I upgraded the CPU to an X3 8750 be. I'm not getting dangerously high temps but they should be better. Guys with lesser coolers are getting lower temps. And like you, when I touch the base of the cooler with my finger while stress testing it's not even warm to the touch. But get this, I moved the X2 over to my wife's computer and stuck it on a $39 Foxconn 740G-based mobo cooled by the Andy Samurai and overclocked by the same amount it was before on the Gigabyte 780G mobo . . . but, the temp readings are way, way cooler than they were on the first board. Same cpu, same overclock, same cooler but much lower temps. I think the 780G is giving inflated temp readings.

Scythe makes some nice quiet fans, think you might hear that one though. With the current fan, how much heat do you feel blowing off of the sink?

[offthread]
trents, MOSFets are the low 1/4 inch square thingys flat on the MOBO with two silver tabs on one end the one long one on the opposite end. They are ganged together in pairs or threes with one of the coils and 2 or three caps each. (The coils on most boards are the 1/2 black or gray cubes.
[/offthread]

Thanks for the mosfet explanation. I was getting the confused with the coils. Where do you get mosfet coolers? Radio Shack? What do you stick them on with?

Cant do push pull, I just ordered that fan for the 130cfm air flow:eek: to replace the low speed one.

the mosfets are under a chunk of an old cpu hs with a 60mm fan strapped to it.

That Scythe fan you're getting has sleeve bearings. Might not last a long time.

Ok I think somthing is outawack with this thing, while sitting in the bios the cpu temp is reading 29c ans system temp of 26C with stock volts and clocks,yet in windows I get this
View attachment 71067
I think its reading the wrong sensors, temps 2 and 3 match my bios readings:shrug:

different bios was no help.

Speedfan seldom identifies the sensors with the correct component. Find the cpu temp sensor by running Prime and watch speedfan while you are doing it. The CPU sensor is the one that climbs rapidly. You can then manually change the labels in Speedfan config.

Satansangel, You have a ta790gx.... this confused me greatly at first as well. I was using HW monitor, and it switched the CPU temp and the system temp, so they displayed backwards. Speedfan did the same thing. You will just have to do some load tests and see what temperatures rise very fast, and then you will know which ones are the core temps.

Back