• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thiddy's new MM case and build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Just got done ordering the Ascension case from Mountain Mods. This is the first case I've ordered from them; been wanting to for a LONG time.

I'll keep this thread up to date.

Arrived:
25ft Black 1/8" nylon cable sleeving
25ft Black 1/4" nylon cable sleeving
19x Black female 3 pin fan connector
30x Black male 3 pin fan connector
3ft Black 1/8" heatshrink
50ft 18AWG Wire - Black
50ft 18AWG Wire - Red
50ft 18AWG Wire - Yellow
Ascension (Black Wrinkle Powder Coat) - Original Top
15x Yate Loon Medium 120mm fans
15x 120mm black chrome fan guard
Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme - Black

Ordered:
Nothing

I'm going to wire the entire case up myself and prep it for watercooling. I won't add watercooling right away, but I'll build up parts for it.

Should have named it "Project overkill".

UPDATED February 20, 2009

Sleeving walkthrough

Last edited:
agreed;)

After your done sleeving all those cables is there any chance you could make a tutorial on it? I think you'd be quite well versed in it by then :)
I've already done a full power supply, I already know how :p

I can add one though :)

FrozenCPU package arrived, hopefully have two packages when I get home. From what I've received email wise, the case has not shipped yet :(

Ok, pretty large update. The case arrived and HOLY CRAP it is HUGE. I have added a fan controller and Blu-ray player to give some sort of indication just have massive this case really is. Remember that it has 120mm holes in the front, just a few millimeters smaller than a CD/DVD. The case has a total of 13 120mm holes, so I have a few fans to go (2 down so far). If you look closely on the first picture, you can see the huge double stack of fans that I need to do.

Here are a few shots of the front/back of the case:

0001EmptyCaseFront.jpg

0002EmptyCaseBack.jpg

I have started sleeving the fans since I have approx 15 or so to do. To go with the fans (and the black theme), I have black 120mm grills along with black hex bolts to hold the fans in. I already mounted one up and it looks *really* sexy. :drool: Here is 3 shots showing the overall job and two close ups, one for each end. I just can't stop staring at these things...

0003ModdedFan.jpg

0004ModdedFanEnd.jpg

0005ModdedFanEnd2.jpg

If you haven't noticed, the fan controller is far away from most of the fans. Combine that with having short tails on the fans means I need to make a custom harness. I got some wire here and will be stringing them up 3/channel. My other goal is to completely remove them from any airflow and hide them as best as possible. I will follow the molding on the sides/top to keep them hidden.

I also need to completely redo the front buttons/LEDs, they are extremely short and won't connect to the motherboard. I have no idea why they even send them with the case with tails attached.

Last edited:
....Go to the forums and open this post and I *** in my pants....

All kidding aside, that thing is damn sexy. I have no idea why anyone would ever need something that large, but if you ever needed to fit 2 PC's and watercooling for both in 1 case, I'm sure this would do quite well, eh?

....Go to the forums and open this post and I *** in my pants....

All kidding aside, that thing is damn sexy. I have no idea why anyone would ever need something that large, but if you ever needed to fit 2 PC's and watercooling for both in 1 case, I'm sure this would do quite well, eh?
Hehe, there is more surface area here, I can run low speed fans and still have a TON of unrestricted airflow. :D

Moved per threadstarters request. Thx for the message.
o_O That was fast! Thanks!

Got 3 done so far. You can see how I do these in "sets". The top fans wrap around themselves to the bottom of that row. This allows me to make a single harness that fits between the two rows of fans. :)

0006CaseFront3Fans.jpg

0007CaseInsideFront3Fans.jpg

Kudos if you can see me playing WoW in the last picture. Double kudos if you can tell me where I'm standing.

Last edited:
3 more fans down. I decided to install them in the back to see how they will work with the 120mm fan --> 3.5" converter. It will be interesting to install, but I think it will work fine! This scares me a little, but I could technically add up to 39 hard drives just on the 120mm fans and 10 more drives in the remaining 5.25 slots...and that is just using the INSIDE 120mm fans o_O

0008CaseBack3Fans.jpg

0009CaseInsideBack3Fans.jpg

So far, the score is:

Thideras - 6
Messy wires - 0

Last edited:
Wow... seeing that case I think wow.. an ITX would fit nicely in there . Which is funny because when I saw the Mozart TX (which includes mounts for an ATX and an ITX system, I thought "why?"

Great work so far.. what tool did you pick up for removing pins on the fans? I picked up the IDE tool and a sleeving kit but never got around to using it :p

Great work so far.. what tool did you pick up for removing pins on the fans? I picked up the IDE tool and a sleeving kit but never got around to using it :p
These, I didn't need the 3 pin header.

When I want to remove it, I just grab a mini screw driver (flat head) and gently push down if I want to put them back in or just smash them hard if I don't.

Last edited:
These, I didn't need the 3 pin header.

When I want to remove it, I just grab a mini screw driver (flat head) and gently push down if I want to put them back in or just smash them hard if I don't.

Okay I admit I am easily confused.

How did you get the black fan headers on the fans after snipping off the ends? I reember you saying you had pins... (I assume you do not have a molex machine at home... so you soldered the pins on?) they just push in with your fingers after that?

I am interested in perfomring some of the same is why I am asking :)

Okay I admit I am easily confused.

How did you get the black fan headers on the fans after snipping off the ends? I reember you saying you had pins... (I assume you do not have a molex machine at home... so you soldered the pins on?) they just push in with your fingers after that?

I am interested in perfomring some of the same is why I am asking :)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3701/slt-16/FrozenCPU_Molex_Crimping_Tool.html?tl=g44c133s257
+
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Supply_Connector_Pins_Set.html?tl=g44c155s323
+
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ale_Fan_Connector_-_Black.html?tl=g44c155s641

I cut the wires just like in my scissors picture. I then put on the mesh and shrink wrap. I trim the wires so they match in length and strip about 1/8 in of the wire. I then use the crimper on the pins to crimp the pins on the wire. Then I push the 3 wires with fresh pins into a new fan connector. Move the shrink wrap to the end and apply heat.

The next one I do, I'll create a walkthrough ;)

EDIT: To add onto my post and answer your rhetorical question. Yes, I actually make my own molex (male and female) connections. I use the exact same method as above, but of course with different pins. This allows me to make absolutely whatever connection I want without splicing or using old pins.

Back