• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator placement in a HAF 932

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

River2971

Registered
I am currently waiting on delievery of my wc setup:

Pump/Res - Koolance RP-1000BK
Radiator - X-Flow Black Ice Xtreme II
Block - MC-TDX for Intel I7/Nehalem/1366

The flow will be pump->rad->cpu->mb->pump with 10mm (3/8") tubing. I'm going with 10mm because the mb (GA-EX58-EXTREME) is already wc ready with 10mm barbs and I don't really want any splitters/reducers with such a simple loop.

No comments on the PR-1000BK please! I happen to like the look and convenience. :screwy:

My question concerns where to mount the radiator in my CM HAF 932 case. The problem (if you can call it that) with this case is that there are 3 mounting possibilities for a dual rad. I'm really partial to mounting it at the top, but as you can see in this article canucks-reviews/11304-cooler-master-haf-932-case-review-12.html, there is also the side panel and bottom (if I move the PSU up top). Will there be a large (>5c) difference in temps from top vs side/bottom given the high airflow of this case?

I don't think there will be much difference, as long as you have a couple fans on the dual 120mm rad, that case has a crap load of options though, and you could easily move the rad around and test your temps, but I really don't think it will make much difference.

I don't think I'd put it on the side though. I haven't done any WCing yet, but I can't imagine that it would be a good idea to move the radiator around every time you open the case. It would probably also add extra tubing.

From what I understand you want the shortest loop possible, so put you rad wherever it would make the loop shortest.

From what I understand you want the shortest loop possible, so put you rad wherever it would make the loop shortest.

Actually that makes sense. This case is so big that I will probably save about 4' or more in tubing length. Top it is.

BTW, I have that case and will be putting a loop in it soon too. I plan to put a triple in the top. :D

Awesome case. :thup:

Next Question

Since I'll be mounting it at the top, I now have the option to put in a triple rather than dual rad. As you can see from the pic however, about 2/3 of the third fan are actually under a plastic cover (which is raised and vented). Keeping in mind that I will probably add the 295gtx to the loop (I expect it will be a couple months before a block is even available after the card is release in early Jan), would a triple be worth it? Or should I just stay with the dual on top and add an additional single rad (mounted either next to the psu on the bottom or at the back exhaust) between the mb and vc when I get it?

WC_top.jpg

wc_fini.jpg

I would have a triple radiator, and with that kind of power needing to be cooled I would switch your radiator to a Thermochill PA 120.3.

Well since you already ordered I'd say keep the dual and when you want to add the video card just get another dual. But maybe we should let someone who knows what they're talking about answer. :D

EDIT: The problem with the PA 120.3 is that the fan spacing is not right for this case. You need either the Black Ice or the Swiftech.

Well since you already ordered I'd say keep the dual and when you want to add the video card just get another dual. But maybe we should let someone who knows what they're talking about answer. :D

EDIT: The problem with the PA 120.3 is that the fan spacing is not right for this case. You need either the Black Ice or the Swiftech.

Fortunately, due to the holidays and bad weather up north, the radiator hadn't gone to shipping yet so I canceled it :santa:. Good to know about the mounting issue. I hadn't realized it would vary that much. I think I'll go with the X-Flow Stealth GTS 360 Black Ice. It's slightly wider (to take advantage of that nice wide grill area :)) and thinner.

Fortunately, due to the holidays and bad weather up north, the radiator hadn't gone to shipping yet so I canceled it :santa:. Good to know about the mounting issue. I hadn't realized it would vary that much. I think I'll go with the X-Flow Stealth GTS 360 Black Ice. It's slightly wider (to take advantage of that nice wide grill area :)) and thinner.

Good call on canceling that order.

I have this case with water cooling and my setup has 2 rads, and they both fit great.
With the 120 on the back i had to bend the top PSU plate up a little to fit the rad.

rads are Fesser 360 and 120

My fist setup was wit 1/2 IDX3/4 OD tubing that was tough. go with 7/16XID 5/8OD tubing , its way easier to work with and no difference in cooling.

This is my current setup with a koolance 350 block. Great for i7 CPU's.
Also i have the koolance quick disconnects( they restrict water flow too much)
but i will be changing them to 1/2 barbs after the holidays.

LoopnoUV.jpg

Temps with Koolance 350 7/16"X5/8" tubing:santa:( better that GTZ with 1/2"X3/4" tubing)

64temps.jpg

This was my fist setup, 3/4" tubing is to difficult to work with.

WCInstalled.jpg

GTZ block.

GTZ.jpg

Last edited:
I also have this case.. and ive got the GT Stealth 360 X-Flow as well

heres some pictures (My first ever loop, click to get big pics)

Fits well -

just to say that post that shows the triple radiator earlier - the original arrticle says you have to remove the top plastic tray - i found this very difficult because of the wires that go through it - besides there are holes to use underneath the rubber cover so you in fact can do it without taking it of.

Back