• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E7200 - Clarification on BSEL mod for this Specific CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theCraze

Hi, first post!:p

I read the stickies and a couple posts, and if I'm not mistaken, I see conflicting advice. Do the Exxx core 2 duo's have different types of BSEL mods?

Maybe you can help?

Which of the following images show the correct E7200 BSEL mod? One and two are off by one pin. And the third picture is covering solely one pin. Thank you!

One
attachment.php

Two
DSCF0044.JPG

Three

attachment.php

I finally received all my components and bought a defogger kit from Kragen Auto, I'm ready to go once I get confirmation, thanks

Last edited:
My heads about to burst with all the reading I've done in the last 48 hours. I know I have no right to even think that someone would respond, but I would really appreciate if someone can help me get this system going.

Anyone?

If I'm not mistaken the 1st and 3rd is the same mod. One grounds the pin, the other insulates it. They both make it a 0. This is the BSEL mod I was looking to preform myself to force 1333 FSB.

Dunno what the 2nd one does.

Hey ひときり(hitokiri)

thanks for the reply man!

I think your post help clarified my head a little, just to hear someone confirm.

I also found this picture on a different site, and it confirms what you said.

ghgfhgns0.png

I'm gonna try doing this mod this weekend on my 2 E7200's.

They are both on stock coolers on an ECS G33T-M2 Motherboard.

Hey ひときり(hitokiri)

thanks for the reply man!

I think your post help clarified my head a little, just to hear someone confirm.

I also found this picture on a different site, and it confirms what you said.

ghgfhgns0.png

I'm gonna try doing this mod this weekend on my 2 E7200's.

They are both on stock coolers on an ECS G33T-M2 Motherboard.

DO NOT DO THIS ONE...

the proper and EASIEST way to do a 266 to 333fsb mod on the e7200 is to isolate the BSEL pin that has the tape over it in this picture

attachment.php

Simply put a piece of tape covering the entire pad and it will make the default fsb to 333mhz. (the tape isolates the pad from the motherboard, making it seem as though that pad - BSEL2 - is an H or 1 value from the stock L or 0 value) Believe me here, i have done MULTIPLE pad mods on my e4300 and e7200, bsel and vid pad mods, last one i did envolved changing the value of 3 pins to lower the default voltage on my e4300 so it would run cooler in a mobo that does not support vcore adjustments... 2 of the pins i had to change were default of the LOW or 0 value like the BSEL2 pad is on 266fsb cpus... putting a piece of tape over them yeilded exactly what voltage the vid table in the intel white papers stated.

nd4spdbh2,

Hi I see you have experience with this, I had another question,
I heard that the tape could be unsafe because it could melt,

would nail polish be a better bet?

VERY appreciated, thank you!

Found the answer by doing more searches::

Answer was: If the tape melts, which it shouldn't on the backside of the CPU, the worst that will happen is that the contacts will short, and will render the overclock NULL, without damaging the CPU, returning to its original speed.

Finally gonna put this together tonight. THANK you

Last edited:
FAIL

I tried the tape & it said on Post

A 267Mhz system bus processor is installed. This processor is not supported on this system board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System performance will be imapcted.

Do you wish to continue to boot at 333Mhz system bus and reduced processor speed? (Y/N) :shrug::shrug:

-edit:

Seems like other boards are doing this?? Bios Level Overclocking Prevention - that is so hay

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance but what is the point of this mod, Whu not just change the fsb in the bios? or is this a better way to do it

Hmmm, interesting! I too have a E7200, ASUS P5KPL-EPU, and 2x2GB DDR 667 in my old rig.

I have been overclocking this rig for a while, but sadly the FSB:DRAM ratio is completely locked on this board, and the only thing I can do regarding the ram is set it at three presets of 1066, 800, 667. So the stock is 4:5 and I can get the ram upto 775 stable. Anything more results in crashing and BSOD.

So therefore I can only OC this CPU to 2.94ghz which kinda sucks. ASUS sell this mobo as an O.C ready board, and state on the box that it can handle an FSB of 1600!

So I will have to try this mod, but will it set my RAM at an uber-high rate once I unlock to 333FSB? Or will it set the correct ratio so I can keep the ram at 667mhz? :)

Thanks!

and

Forgive my ignorance but what is the point of this mod, Whu not just change the fsb in the bios? or is this a better way to do it

There is boards that don't have BIOS overclocking capability like all Intel boards and some OEM boards also for your EX. my motherboard "Intel Dg41rq" don't have it ,that's why people use BSEL mod... :p

Hmmm, interesting! I too have a E7200, ASUS P5KPL-EPU, and 2x2GB DDR 667 in my old rig.

I have been overclocking this rig for a while, but sadly the FSB:DRAM ratio is completely locked on this board, and the only thing I can do regarding the ram is set it at three presets of 1066, 800, 667. So the stock is 4:5 and I can get the ram upto 775 stable. Anything more results in crashing and BSOD.

So therefore I can only OC this CPU to 2.94ghz which kinda sucks. ASUS sell this mobo as an O.C ready board, and state on the box that it can handle an FSB of 1600!

So I will have to try this mod, but will it set my RAM at an uber-high rate once I unlock to 333FSB? Or will it set the correct ratio so I can keep the ram at 667mhz? :)

Thanks!

That's the idea. It tricks the mobo into thinking you have a 333FSB CPU, and opens up different FSB:RAM ratios.

Back