• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 VS Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madmann135

Registered
I needed a distraction and decided to do the chart I had in my head for a while. The Q6600 VS Q8200 chart, corrected.
I know this has been done to death but I just wanted to voice my opinions.

All the comparason charts I looked at showed the Q6600 overclocked so I decided to see how the two would compare if they were clocked similarly.
As the saying goes a pic is worth 1000 words.
Q6600_VS_Q8200copy.jpg

I have herd rumors of the Q6600 reaching a core clock of ~4.0GHz and the Q8200 reaching a FSB of 2000MHz.
I have seen reports that stock they are quite similar.

It looks like the Q8200 is not a bad core in comparason to the Q6600.

Last edited:
for your Q6600 comment not clockign at 1400 FSB you are definatly not looking hard enough. they will all do 3.2ghz and most should do 3.4-3.6ghz.

as for the rest nice chart but i dont totaly understand its use. are you just showing the core clocks with each CPU at its max multi x fsb or is there a deeper comparison going on somewhere?

Truth be told I needed something to do in order to distract me from a few of my personal problems and this is what came to mind. I made numerous mistakes and took my sweet time on it.

The chart is what I consider the corrected comparason of both cores. Most just work on the CPU processing speed rating while omitting the FSB rating. What I want to see are benchmarks of both cores in side by side comparasons on identical platforms but I doubt someone will have the time and patience to do such an endever.

'Gottcha' I see your sig and all I have to say is that you are using a ~$40 CPU cooler... I'm using a ~$20 one.

Um......this doesn't make any sense to me. You said you haven't heard of a Q6600 doing 3.150Ghz on air?! Dude not only have I done that, but I've done that on stock cooling.

Currently, it's running at 3.6 on water with sub ambient temps.

Um......this doesn't make any sense to me. You said you haven't heard of a Q6600 doing 3.150Ghz on air?! Dude not only have I done that, but I've done that on stock cooling.

Edited origonal post again.
I was trying to be Objective in my origonal post but it turned out I was being more subjective than I thought.

Edited origonal post again.

Yeah, sorry about the late post too, I'm at work and kinda sat at the reply screen while others posted. There were no replies when I opened the reply window, lol.

Sorry to hear about the RL troubles, hope it's nothing too bad :-/

Yeah, sorry about the late post too, I'm at work and kinda sat at the reply screen while others posted. There were no replies when I opened the reply window, lol.

Sorry to hear about the RL troubles, hope it's nothing too bad :-/

We all have RL problems and we all deal with them in diffrent ways.
Today I needed a distraction... and I made you all suffer for my problems :p

Without the use of a peltier, chiller, water bong, or having your rad outside you cannot get below room ambient. (eg. Blowing 20C air through a radiator will net you with a min of 20C water....can't get something from nothing.) :D

Without the use of a peltier, chiller, water bong, or having your rad outside you cannot get below room ambient. (eg. Blowing 20C air through a radiator will net you with a min of 20C water....can't get something from nothing.) :D

Maybe he's using the CoolIt cpu cooler.
That thing is said to be able to bring temps down to ambient and sub ambient. It uses both TEK and water for its cooling.

Maybe he's using the CoolIt cpu cooler.
That thing is said to be able to bring temps down to ambient and sub ambient. It uses both TEK and water for its cooling.

Correct!

Corruption, I've run sub ambient quite often actually on a few different chips without the use of a peltier. Your information is somewhat flawed ;) I'll pop a SS if it helps later.

I'm not sure what a TEK is, but there is no peltier involved, there is a rad, fan, tubing, water, CPU block, and a fan control. A peltier, to my understanding, is none of these.

Correct!

Corruption, I've run sub ambient quite often actually on a few different chips without the use of a peltier. Your information is somewhat flawed ;) I'll pop a SS if it helps later.

I'm not sure what a TEK is, but there is no peltier involved, there is a rad, fan, tubing, water, CPU block, and a fan control. A peltier, to my understanding, is none of these.

You sir are the first person that is able to defy the laws of physics if you can indeed cool a CPU using traditional water cooling to sub-ambient temperatures. :clap: You may be able to get the CPU block (while not mounted) to a slight sub-ambient temperature, but with it mounted to the CPU I highly doubt it. If you can get it to sub-ambient temperatures with only traditional water cooling you are the first and only person that I've heard of that is able to do so. I'd be delighted to see some screen-shots or links to a video showing a thermometer to prove ambient, a thermal probe to prove CPU block temps and shots of CoreTemp for die temperatures. (I love to be proven wrong and learn something new, but I don't think that it's going to happen with this.)

A TEK is a thermal-electric-cooler. LINK for example. You need a copper block, a TEC, and a heatsink. A peltier is a sandwich of: copper block->TEC->waterblock. Most people that I know of use a 225W TEC or higher for sub-ambient CPU temperatures. The TEC has a hot and a cold side. The cold side contacts the copper block (which is in direct contact with the CPU), and the hot side contacts the heatsink. The last time that I've seen a TEC successfully reach sub-ambient temperatures with an air cooler, while mounted to a CPU, was back in the socket A days. Most people skip by the peltier option and go straight to single-stage phase change as the power draw needed is close, but the phase change setups cool to lower temps, and do so much more effectively. ;)

well not to get techincal but when people refere to peltiers they normall use TEC, not TEK. the coolit system does use a array of TEC's to be able to cool the cpu to amb or sub-amb temps. there is suppose to be a "knob" or "slider" that will allow you to change how well it cools the cpu.

You sir are the first person that is able to defy the laws of physics if you can indeed cool a CPU using traditional water cooling to sub-ambient temperatures. :clap: You may be able to get the CPU block (while not mounted) to a slight sub-ambient temperature, but with it mounted to the CPU I highly doubt it. If you can get it to sub-ambient temperatures with only traditional water cooling you are the first and only person that I've heard of that is able to do so. I'd be delighted to see some screen-shots or links to a video showing a thermometer to prove ambient, a thermal probe to prove CPU block temps and shots of CoreTemp for die temperatures. (I love to be proven wrong and learn something new, but I don't think that it's going to happen with this.)

A TEK is a thermal-electric-cooler. LINK for example. You need a copper block, a TEC, and a heatsink. A peltier is a sandwich of: copper block->TEC->waterblock. Most people that I know of use a 225W TEC or higher for sub-ambient CPU temperatures. The TEC has a hot and a cold side. The cold side contacts the copper block (which is in direct contact with the CPU), and the hot side contacts the heatsink. The last time that I've seen a TEC successfully reach sub-ambient temperatures with an air cooler, while mounted to a CPU, was back in the socket A days. Most people skip by the peltier option and go straight to single-stage phase change as the power draw needed is close, but the phase change setups cool to lower temps, and do so much more effectively. ;)

Oh a TEC yeah I know what that is......yeah I don't have that. I also don't have all the equipment you just requested. A pic of my house thermostat, Keyboard readout, and an Ambient from Speedfan will have to serve as an adequate proof of ambient. As for the Core temperatures, I'll provide a SS of Reatemp, Coretemp, Everest, and Speedfan. That should be enough imo ;)

o btw if both cpus were clocked the same the Q8200 would be 10% faster. the only place it might be slower is superpi 1m where L2 size matters. also add into the fact that 45nm cpus have ssse4.x which cuts 15mins off encoding times also in av programs, well ones that can use ssse4.x.

No air or water cooler can produce below ambient core temps. Its physically impossible. If you're getting below ambient software readings then either the wrong Tjmax is being used, or the idle temps have not been calibrated correctly. Intel has already stated that any temp reported below 50*C using their DTS sensors cannot be trusted anyways.

I've no doubt you can show a ss that displays lower than ambient temps. Its just that we can't trust software temps at all...especially at idle.

Back