• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to use a AC blower fan.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I was not sure how to title this thread, so I hope I get the right attention.....

OK, I am considering using a Dual blower AC fan for my computer. Basically I have this whisper quiet dual blower fan and I want to pipe in the air to my Ninja CPU cooler to replace the dual 120mm fans on it now.
Does any one know how to make a switch that would allow me to turn on and off the AC fan when I turn on/off the computer. - some kind of 12v relay switch or something.

I have enough electronics knowledge to know that what I need is possible to build....But I don't know how to (safely) do so.

any one have any ideas, (or does any one know of any prebuilt units for sale)???

This would be better placed in the cooling section, maybe even extreme cooling, even though you're not going into -.. definitely sub-ambient..

of course, if you put a filter on the duct in to the pc, leave it running all the time, it'll just a/c the room, using your pc as a the duct

This would be better placed in the cooling section, maybe even extreme cooling, even though you're not going into -.. definitely sub-ambient..

of course, if you put a filter on the duct in to the pc, leave it running all the time, it'll just a/c the room, using your pc as a the duct

I thought about it but I just figured that this is power issue? But maybe your right.

the blower is not big enough to move air around the whole room. But novel idea though...

Last edited:
If you want an off-the-shelf controller card that will turn the blower on and off, this Sunbeam controller card should fit the bill. I am using 2 of those cards to control AC powered waterpumps in 2 different watercooled systems. It says it's rated for up to 200 watts of power draw, so it should be able to power that blower.

that is exactly what I am looking for.....
Thanks Muddoctor.

I'd still like to expand my electronic soldering skills..... so if any one knows how to build one of these please let me know. (plus I currently dont have a pci slot open...)

Last edited:
that card doesn't actually use a pci slot, just the case part. you can use it externally.

if you want to build your own you need a 12v/120v relay. all you would do is run wire from a molex plug (yellow(12v) and a black(ground)) and hook it to the 12v side. then cut the live/positive side of the blower fan and wire it to the 120v side of the relay. then your done. when your pc turns on it pulls the switch for the 120v to go through to the fan.

pictures

and if any one wanted to see the blower I have. the thing is older than dirt. but it is whisper quiet and moves tons of air.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 432
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 427
I have thought about gearing one of thses up on my rad more than once . Make sure you post some pics after you get it going .

if you want to build your own you need a 12v/120v relay. all you would do is run wire from a molex plug (yellow(12v) and a black(ground)) and hook it to the 12v side. then cut the live/positive side of the blower fan and wire it to the 120v side of the relay. then your done. when your pc turns on it pulls the switch for the 120v to go through to the fan.
Thanks Spawn-Inc, this might be easer than I originaly thought.

Any sugestions on what kind (brand) of relay to get or will one from "RadioShack" fit the bill?? I know that not all parts are created equal... And if I wanted to add a fuse what size would I need and where would I wire it in at? Should I put some diodes on the 12v side to prevent any possible AC power from bleading through (or is that even a concern if I get the right relay?)

Now I need some flexable 2 inch tubing to pipe in the air. Any suggestions on where I could find some thing like that??

Thanks Spawn-Inc, this might be easer than I originaly thought.

Any sugestions on what kind (brand) of relay to get or will one from "RadioShack" fit the bill?? I know that not all parts are created equal... And if I wanted to add a fuse what size would I need and where would I wire it in at? Should I put some diodes on the 12v side to prevent any possible AC power from bleading through (or is that even a concern if I get the right relay?)

now that is where i have having troubles with it. i am trying to find a suitable brand/style for you.

as far as a fuse i would get a fuse the size of the amps the motor pulls + 15% more. and i would put it after the relay on the 120V side. i don't think there will be any problems with power bleeding but i'm not sure on that one to be honest.

Now I need some flexable 2 inch tubing to pipe in the air. Any suggestions on where I could find some thing like that??

check at a hardware store for vents or maybe even dryer vents, though i think the smallest is 4" for dryers. sewage drain might work as well i think its 3"

Last edited:
And yes, I will post pictures if and when I complete the project. (if it is going to cost more than $20 for all needed parts the project will have to be put on hold....Diapers for my Baby are more important)

as far as a fuse i would get a fuse the size of the amps the motor pulls + 15% more. and i would put it after the relay on the 120V side. i don't think there will be any problems with power bleeding but i'm not sure on that one to be honest.

I am not sure of the amprage of the motor... the lable has been nearly all worn away.:eh?: but I doubt it more than one amp.?.

Last edited:
Project almost done (would be done but some how my wife convinced me to wash all the laundry, while I already stay at home and watch our baby. - oh the joys of married life:screwy:)

Any for who Should I just add the project pictures to this thread or should I start a new one??? :confused::beer::confused: (gotta love sleep depervation.... If you have children then you understand)

While this project may seem simple to some, I feel this is one of the best Air cooling ideas I have had yet.

All done....

I think the pictures will be rather selfexpanatory.....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 379
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 385
3 feelings:
Impressed - I'm very impressed of the effort you went through to make all of this.
Amazed - I'm totally amazed that you had time to do all this while being a 'stay at home' dad looking after kids / household chores.
Worried - When I see 'ghetto' style rigs involving household AC, especially when kids are around.

Worried - When I see 'ghetto' style rigs involving household AC, especially when kids are around.

its not hooked into the AC system, just pushs a **** load of air pasted the heatsink.
and if it was, whats there to worry about? (outside of condensation on the pc, even then its not likely)

sweet, looks nice and well built!
results?

Back