• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E5200 & the little HS that could

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason4207

I'm building a file server w/ this little sucker, but I had to see what she could do on the stock cooler before I figured out how fast she'd run w/ min voltage.

I didn't try too hard, but 350FSB seemed fine, and 375FSB wasn't quite making it to the desktop. I decided 333FSb was good enough, and just used the multi to play.

3661288sd3.jpg

Not too bad for the lowest voltage settings across the board available in the BIOS except a little extra vcore! No GTL options available either. And on the little rinky-dink all aluminum stock Intel cooler! This is on an MSI P43 Neo-3 that I got for $60 open-box.

I booted up at 3.83GHz, but temps were pushing into the 80's. 3.6GHz is quite amazing for how cheap this setup is. $85-CPU, $60-Mobo, $47-4GB RAM

I'm confident I could get 3.83GHz stable w/ a better cooler...maybe 4GHz. A better board might help as well...especially on the FSB.

Now this is for a file server, so I wanted to see what she could do on minimum voltage. When I researched this board the spec that sold me (besides the abundant supply of no less than 8 sata ports) was the ability to go 0.4v below VID. Unfortunately, this spec is a lie. Even the BIOS says -400mv to +7XXmv on the side panel. It would not let me select anything below the VID, though. Even on auto w/ C1E and EIST enabled I couldn't get the voltage to drop any.

So, I'll have to settle for ~1.1v, but at least I can run pretty quick at this voltage.

*See comments in post #13

3161104vwc4.jpg

Not bad at all! Although, it did fail a little while after this ss. I'll settle for 3GHz, though, w/ min voltage on everything! I've even got the RAM running at min voltage...1.8v 400MHz 5-5-5-18.

File Server on steroids and a diet!

:beer:

Last edited:
wow nice work. i'm now fully convinced only my e5200 sucks, eesh

Try setting all your voltages to the minimum (not auto) except vcore & vdimm. Set GTL's to auto if you have them. Set vcore to 1.35v, and vdimm to whatever your RAM is spec'd at. Set FSB to 333, and use the multi to OC. Put your FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1 or 5:6 for now. You should be able to get 3.66GHz like this, and perhaps 3.83GHz w/ a touch more vcore.

I'm building a file server w/ this little sucker, but I had to see what she could do on the stock cooler before I figured out how fast she'd run w/ min voltage.

It's threads like these that make me hate being a poor college student, and look forward to the days I can buy computer parts without counting how many days I would have to eat ramen for XD.

Btw: my main gaming rig is on a 2180 :(

It's threads like these that make me hate being a poor college student, and look forward to the days I can buy computer parts without counting how many days I would have to eat ramen for XD.

at least you have a dual core chip, i just got one a week or two ago :beer:

jason i'll try that method in the future, thanks

that aint that bad
im on my P4 478, x800 pro system, and i dont even have time to game:eek:
college is such a killar

Now this is for a file server, so I wanted to see what she could do on minimum voltage. When I researched this board the spec that sold me (besides the abundant supply of no less than 8 sata ports) was the ability to go 0.4v below VID. Unfortunately, this spec is a lie. Even the BIOS says -400mv to +7XXmv on the side panel. It would not let me select anything below the VID, though. Even on auto w/ C1E and EIST enabled I couldn't get the voltage to drop any.

So, I'll have to settle for ~1.1v, but at least I can run pretty quick at this voltage.

OK...figured out how to go below VID. Just keep hitting (-) after it says Auto. Simple, but I didn't even consider it.

Re-testing now to see how low I can go!

Update!

I got a decent HS on Sat, so I had to push just a little bit. I wasn't trying to find max stable, but I did boot up to this:

e52004165ghzya4.jpg

I couldn't get 4.3GHz to boot. I went up to 1.5v, and stopped. I didn't try playing w/ other settings much, though, except I did try 1.25v vtt.

On to what this chip can do w/ some low voltage. I wanted to keep the 333FSB, so I just dropped the multi to 6, and here's what we have:

stable2000856voq2.jpg

VERY NICE!!! Super cool too! Those temps have been calibrated following the RealTemp documentation. I had to use -10.0 to get it there, but the temps seem feasible given the super low voltage. 4-5*C above ambient while at ultra-idle at 0.856v.

I can't run it any faster at this voltage, but I really don't need any more speed for a file server. This 45nm CPU is doing a fine job of keeping the power bill down for 24/7 usage.

Just in case you guys missed it...

I'm priming away at 0.856V!!!

Sorry, I just think that is amazing.

:beer:

I found out I could reduce a few more voltages below stock...

Currently priming away at 1.00v vtt & 0.856v vcore. I could not boot below 0.93v vtt.

Incredilble Jason:clap:, very few CPU's that can cover such a wide spectrum , nice work:thup:, what board are you using?

MSI P43 Neo3-F that I got off NewEgg for $60 open box. :thup:

I wanted to get something based on P43/45. I figured the smaller process would mean less power consumption. It also has 8 sata ports which is good since I'm using this for an unRAID file server.

1.0v vtt was a no-go. I put it up to 1.05v vtt, and hopefully when I get home tonight it will still be running P95.

I've also found the most underrated boards (and cheaper most of the time) sometimes gives most surprising results, for instance I've worked my way this last 2 weeks through some serious X48 DDR3 boards and I could not get near to the OC I get from my trusted "refurb" Abit IX38 QuadGT, newer aint always better ;)

Back