• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some professinal advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

You want the AAKS for your desktop. The RE2 drives are enterprise class drives meant more for server/RAID duty. Oh, I'm am a professional so my Paypal address is..........:p

so basicly tusken they both have different setups in the firmware on how they handle loads right? i would figure that is the case but i dont follow WD drives as much as Seagate.

None of the optimizations the RE2 drive includes will make any difference for you - get the cheaper one. For all intents and purposes, you can think of it as the same drive, only louder and more expensive.

They only make sense in huge 'enterprise' environments where very marginal differences add up on a macro scale (for example, think of it like this: a 1% improvement over thousands of drives running 24/7 over the course of a year adds up to something worthwhile).

--Illah

I tested both the AAKS and the ABYS before I bought my RE2's. I can't find any of the data I came up with, unfortunately, but I remember it not being significant. If I hadn't been planning to run 2 drives in raid0, I probably would have went with AAKS.

They are very sexy, though.

Thank you all so much! You have been a tremendous help and I have learned some new things.

The main difference you should be concerned about is how they handle error recovery.

RE drives are meant for RAID 1/5/6 and spend minimal time trying to recover from a read error (and rely on the RAID controller to recover the data from another drive). This is so that the controller does not mark the drive as failed or offline.

SE drives are meant for desktop and RAID 0 use. They will spend more time trying to recover a read error.

Look at this.

It's not the exact right models, but it should give you some insight I believe and if you want to look at other drives than look at this. Does it look interesting?

Back