• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU2 in Linux (success)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

I am starting a new thread for any methods of getting GPU2 to run in Linux.

The original thread started here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=568541

So far using Wine 1.1, CrossOver 7, and Cedega 6.1 Beta all give an error saying that my drivers or video card are not currently supported. All three programs do not report real system information to the running apps so this seems to be the first hurdle to get around. If anyone knows how to get one of these programs to report the information to GPU2 that it is looking for then please post your findings.

After that we then need to hope that the calls being made to the video card through CUDA do not require special support from Wine.

Last edited:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2008-July/067031.html

I am working on it all, and I am uploading a built version of WINE via megaupload . I've compiled it with the change settings, so that it reports to the GPU2 client that it is a 8800GT. This should be good enough for the client to start but it is possible that a wrapper for CUDA might be needed in order to get CUDA.dll to talk to CUDA.so (.dll being windows version, and .so being linux version). The good news is like all Nvidia stuff the base package is the same between them the only difference would be that the windows version has support for direct3d calls will linux only has opengl. I'm going to keep looking into this and hopefully with your help as you can test it out, we can quickly fix this and make it work.

Ok, here it is,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IULCLKHE

First un-install your current WINE. Then unzip that and in the command line go to it.
cd wine
then
sudo make install

It should be installed then.

If for some reason it doesn't install right then you need to compile it for your system,

simply do the following in the main directory, (i.e. in the "wine" folder you unzipped)
make clean
./configure
make depend && make

Now if you get any warnings from ./configure post them up and after work I will help you or you can simply figure out what you need on your own, it is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
I don't know much about any of this going on, but I think I recall from somewhere there being the need for direct3d.....but I'm not sure, maybe that was only multi-nvidia-gpu support....

im watching this closely...

what i really want is a linux GPU client in native linux without WINE...

We will get one once the Windows version has stabilized.

I'm not home at the moment, being the 4th and all... I'll try this out later. Direct3D support should not be a problem with WINE since it has built in support for most of DX9. This should be good enough since the science part no longer uses Direct3D and DX9 is the highest version supported by Windows XP.

This should be good enough for the client to start but it is possible that a wrapper for CUDA might be needed in order to get CUDA.dll to talk to CUDA.so

The client may also check for which driver is installed, this may be harder to spoof, but at least you are able to hack through the code to a point. This will be cool, you code, I test :)

The client may also check for which driver is installed, this may be harder to spoof, but at least you are able to hack through the code to a point. This will be cool, you code, I test :)

You know my main rig always seems to go down at times like this. I could test little thinks like that on my main rigs since I am using an Nvidia 7800 GT, I could atleast get eveything to the point of initializing the Work Unit, at which point it would fail as my card doesn't support CUDA, but I'm stuck on my laptop with ATI x1400 mobile, so we'll have to bounce back and forth.

Now the WINE guys said the only thing FAH checks is the "WineD3DImpl_GetAdapterIdentifie" function. Which returns
Code:
        Adapters[0].driver = "Display";
        Adapters[0].description = "Direct3D HAL";

Now while the "driver" module might seem obvious, I've got a question out to the mailing list again.

How do you feel about applying patches? I'll post a walkthrough and that way you can just compile it yourself on your machine. It would save me from having to upload it everytime I make a change, as I could just host the files here, and it would only be a few kb's from both of us. A few quick commands and 10 minutes to compile WINE and we'd be good to test it.

How do you feel about applying patches? I'll post a walkthrough and that way you can just compile it yourself on your machine. It would save me from having to upload it everytime I make a change, as I could just host the files here, and it would only be a few kb's from both of us. A few quick commands and 10 minutes to compile WINE and we'd be good to test it.

Okay I got in way too late to start on this now. I'll try it out tomorrow. I'm fine with patches but I will need a walk through, I have tried patching Wine in the past but it failed miserably.

ok here is a patch with the proper identification settings for now.

Now download it, and rename it to simply directx.c.patch . I had to add the .txt in order for the forums to let me upload it.

I am assuming that your wine source directory, the file I had you download earlier is located in your home directory. I.e. in your home directory there is a folder called "wine" with all the contents.

To use this patch simply drop it in your home directory and then from the command line type
Code:
patch -p0 -i directx.c.patch

That should patch the file. Now cd into the wine directory and do the following
Code:
make clean
./configure
make depend && make

In the future you will not have to run the ./configure again, just once to get it set to your system. Now please uninstall your current version of WINE, you will always have to uninstall wine before installing the newest test version, this is so there isn't any conflicts. I assume you installed via apt-get so you can uninstall it that way. In the future after you do "make install" to install it, in or to uninstall it simply return to the "wine" directory and run "make uninstall". :)

ok so let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• directx.c.patch.txt
    619 bytes · Views: 113
Shel I have the first Wine on the desktop. Where should I put it, before installing it for your commands to work?

put it in your home folder. (/home/username/)

(It is possible to use it from your desktop but let us keep everything the same so there is no confusion)

I hate free storage services.... *shudders*
PM me what folder/PW you need and projected space/bandwidth. I will re: to it and let you just up it to one of my domains.
It will be much easier to have revisions and such. If you want. You can do some html detail/jump page.. or php.. If you really have need for the project. I will give you a database(or more). There is some need colab packages and wiki stuff you could do. Heck even a svn or repo...

Last edited:
Okay I have an issue. I downloaded the Wine source you posted. I haven't touched the patch yet.

make install does not work because my system is 64-bit. So I am trying to compile it for my system. I kept getting errors due to various tools missing. I googled a bit and found out I needed to "sudo apt-get build-dep wine" which installed all missing dependencies.

So now I'm stuck on this error, note that at the top I'm getting a lot of missing font warnings but it does not seem to care that they are missing. Also note that I'm compiling this on my RAID array "/media/md0" for speed reasons.

Code:
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e58
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e59
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e5a
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e5b
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/md0/wine/wine/fonts'
make[1]: Entering directory `/media/md0/wine/wine/loader'
gcc -c -I. -I. -I../include -I../include    -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith  -g -O2  -o glibc.o glibc.c
glibc.c: In function ‘needs_pthread’:
glibc.c:63: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
gcc -o wine-glibc glibc.o -L../libs/wine -lwine ../libs/port/libwine_port.a -lpthread   -Wl,--rpath,\$ORIGIN/../libs/wine
gcc -c -I. -I. -I../include -I../include    -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith  -g -O2  -o kthread.o kthread.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:217: Error: Incorrect register `%rax' used with `l' suffix
make[1]: *** [kthread.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/md0/wine/wine/loader'
make: *** [loader] Error 2
zerix01@DeepThought:/media/md0/wine/wine$

Okay I have an issue. I downloaded the Wine source you posted. I haven't touched the patch yet.

make install does not work because my system is 64-bit. So I am trying to compile it for my system. I kept getting errors due to various tools missing. I googled a bit and found out I needed to "sudo apt-get build-dep wine" which installed all missing dependencies.

So now I'm stuck on this error, note that at the top I'm getting a lot of missing font warnings but it does not seem to care that they are missing. Also note that I'm compiling this on my RAID array "/media/md0" for speed reasons.

Did you follow this guide? http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit . If not I would and see if that fixes the error. Also I assumed you ran make clean and ./configure before attempting to compile it? Also you might as well go ahead and apply the patch because if you don't then you'll just have to compile it again anyway.

Okay I'm compiling now.... but without the patch..... the compiling is taking longer than I expected... I should have listened to you. :p

Anyway, I still saw the missing font warnings scroll by. I'm digging up some info on how to fix this (I hope it doesn't need a re-compile). If you have a quick way to do this please let me know. It looks like I may not have any visible text in the program if I don't fix this.

Okay I'm compiling now.... but without the patch..... the compiling is taking longer than I expected... I should have listened to you. :p

Anyway, I still saw the missing font warnings scroll by. I'm digging up some info on how to fix this (I hope it doesn't need a re-compile). If you have a quick way to do this please let me know. It looks like I may not have any visible text in the program if I don't fix this.

Can you give me some of the names of the font you are missing? I know what is happening and there is just one package to install in Ubuntu but when I had that issue it was a long time ago and I can't remember the exact package but if I have the font names I might be able to track it down.

It zips by too fast and my console can't keep that many lines back in its history. I have just have those few lines that I posted before

warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e58
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e59
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e5a
warning: System 16: missing glyph for char 0e5b

I tried running F@H again but it still failed in the same manner, this is without the patch though. Will patch it up and try again. I did see the text in that dialog box so the fonts may not be an issue. Lets hold off on that until we actually see a problem.

Another question. I ran the patch and got a message that was worded funny. I assumed I should answer yes as it looked like it was telling me another version of the patch was present. I ran it again and did not get the same message, so it seems like it took the patch.

zerix01@DeepThought:/media/md0/wine$ patch -p0 -i directx.c.patch
patching file wine/dlls/wined3d/directx.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n] y
zerix01@DeepThought:/media/md0/wine$ patch -p0 -i directx.c.patch
patching file wine/dlls/wined3d/directx.c
zerix01@DeepThought:/media/md0/wine$

Did I do this right or wrong?

You did it correct. The reason it said there was already a patch was because I had first edited the file, which you downloaded so it already knew it had been edited once. So its all good you can compile it now.

Also as long as when you ran ./configure it didn't give you an messages about missing fonts than you are fine, I'm not sure what those are that it says your missing.

Last edited:
Back