• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4870/4850 Fan Speed Control/Increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I've been searching every since I stuck my card in to find a way other than modding the BIOS to adjust fan speed. I did find the CCC Profile option, but unfortunately I cannot create a profile for some reason. I normally use Rivatuner but of course it's not supporting the 4870s yet.

So the question is, anybody had any success with other programs adjusting fan speed? I know some brands have their own utilities such as ASUS SmartDocter and Gainwar Expertool. Any advise would be good, as I really don't like my setup running at 78-80c even with the amount of air flow I have.

EDIT:

HERE is the fix!

I finally got mine to create a profile via CCC, it seems to be working well idling around 41c with 60% fan.

Here is an exact copy/paste from my profile config..

</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="60" />
</Feature>

Last edited:
Why are you unable to create a profile, are you getting errors, do you have the latest drives + hotfix installed? etc?

Simply tweak that nice little profile file and your good. C:\Users\""username""\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\""profilename"".xml <Property name=""FanSpeedAlgorithm"" value=""Manual"" /> This will originally say ""automatic"" change to manual. - <Feature name=""FanSpeedPercentTarget_0""> <Property name=""Want"" value=""45"" /> Set the want value to whatever suits your needs, in my case 45 did the trick. I just edited with note pad. Also, you must enable the profile each and every time you want to enable the higher fan speed. Save the file and enable the profile in catalyst now you should hear a big difference. If not, you did something wrong.

Yeh I've tried both the hotfix drivers and the ones that HIS sent... CCC doesn't allow me to create a profile. I've got NET 3.5 as well as SP3 WinXP Pro 32bit.

Even with the high temps it ran 17k 3dmark06 on my Q6700 3.6ghz.

Well hopefully ATi will release some official drivers during the July release. Anybody had any 3rd party programs like rivatuner that work on adjusting the fan speed on 4850/4870s?

Simply tweak that nice little profile file and your good. C:\Users\""username""\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\""prof ilename"".xml <Property name=""FanSpeedAlgorithm"" value=""Manual"" /> This will originally say ""automatic"" change to manual. - <Feature name=""FanSpeedPercentTarget_0""> <Property name=""Want"" value=""45"" /> Set the want value to whatever suits your needs, in my case 45 did the trick. I just edited with note pad. Also, you must enable the profile each and every time you want to enable the higher fan speed. Save the file and enable the profile in catalyst now you should hear a big difference. If not, you did something wrong.

orly? I'll try that when I get home :D

Alright guys I just tried the CCC Profile fix on my 4850 and it does indeed allow you to set the fan speed! :beer:

http://www.fragonsight.com/forum/video-cards/7953-ati-4850-fan-temperature-work-around.html
Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
</Feature>
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.

Be sure to also set:

This value was set at 100 for me by default, and the fan speed wouldn't increase until I set this value to 0.
I raised the fan speed to 40% (Near-silent) and temps are down to 60*C idle from 80*C idle before. Many on these forums will be happy to hear this :)

Last edited:
I finally got mine to create a profile via CCC, it seems to be working well idling around 41c with 60% fan.

Here is an exact copy/paste from my profile config..

</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>

omg running the fan at 95% makes more sound then all the fans in my Antec900 combined, even if I set those fans at High speed, it doesn't make as much noise as my HD4850 when i set the fan to run at 95%

Is there a way to automatically let the fan speed go up when the temps go up? and then having it idle at around 40-50C

Cause now my HD4850 goes up to 75-80C at idle.

What happens if I only set the FanSpeedPercentTarget to 100 and leave it at Automatic?
I tried it, but it seems like the fan isn't doing much differently then before I started looking into this xml

At the moment there is no way to change fan speed according to monitored temperatures, you'll have to wait for an update from ATITools or Rivatuner or some such.

Can't you change fan speed based on monitored temperatures with Asus Smart Doctor?

Just registered to add that, you can get CCC profiles to start at boot, by ticking the "Desktop Shortcut" activation box, then moving the created shortcut to the Startup box in the programs list (or by editing the registry to put the profile in the msconfig startup list)
and since there is an option to open different applications when you start a particular profile, you could link different fan speed profiles to your favourite apps and games.

I hope this is of use and hasn't been stated to death elsewhere ;)

PS if you need an easy way to do full load testing - the initial pool/tunnel scene of single player FarCry run with all settings maxed, loads the 4870 GPU at 97-99% and quickly finds any cooling problems (the Zalman VF900 and below are no use on these cards as temps quickly rise to 100 plus at load:eek:)

Last edited:
I had problems creating myself, turns out it was a very simple mistake.

Goto Profile Manager...

Once in there There are two boxes at the top ...
"Enter or Select a Profile Name"
"Profile Description"

Enter something such as profile1 in both of those, and then the save button will light up.

Then before you can navigate to the location you must goto View Options and set your options to "Show Hidden Files".

"C:\Documents and Settings\*username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE"

Once in there then you can proceed to edit the profile you made with notepad.

</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>
</Feature>

Hope this helps!

Also the drivers are what regulate the fan speeds from what I can tell, the best way to keep it cool is to run it in a happy medium such as 40-60%.

Back