• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WaterSetup *STRICTLY FOR GPU* Only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dj Spiel

WaterSetup *STRICTLY FOR GPU* Only **UPDATE**

EDIT: UPDATE

Well I started @ 7pm and now it's 5:49am Chicago,IL Central Time.I am dead tired..after customizing it so I could mount the radiator on top of the case...diggin in my back closest for some FANS 120MM size. Then hookin the loop up wrong on 1st try then after I fixed that the radiator was leaking due to the barb connector -fixed that. So Now...I have to find out how to get rid of these tiny little bubbles My PUMP is way to strong and I should have gotton a bigger reservoir.

here are the stats as of now--Mind you it's about 80 degrees in my basement and humid as hell.
http://www.djspiel.com/stats.jpg

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir

Swiftech MCR220-QP Dual 120mm Radiator Black

Swiftech MCP655 Water Pump

PrimoFlex UV Green 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing

This look ok?

8800 GTS (G92)
*will add another in about 4-6 months

-already purchased-
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA

Last edited:
did u edit your original post because oyur follow up makes no sense to me . :)

all looks good. remember you need ram, mosfet, and an i/o sinks for your card.

i would go with tygon tubing. last longer, less likely to stain, easier to bend.

i would consider a t-line over a reservoir, but thats more of a personal preference.

if you stick with one vga, then i would just go for a thermochill pa 120.1 rad. if you go with sli liek you said you might, i would go with the pa 120.2 rad. the thermochills are the best rads out there, however, the swiftech like you chose are still good performers.

dont forget fans. i would go with around 100 cfm fans and a fan controller. if you go with a thermochill rad, i would go with 70ish cfm fans. yate loons are great fans.

haha! yeah man I edited it :) hey man thanks alot for help also.

-Spiel

~~~Watercooling~~~
Tygon tubing 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing -Edit: how mant feet should I buy?-

Do I need anything else guys? Fittings.. Oh crap! coolant..What do you recommended?

Unfortunately I have already committed to the bottom as I have charged it on my credit card already

Video Card Crap**
MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512M
Swiftech MC14 Copper Heatsinks (2) orders
Arctic Silver ASTA-7G (2-PC-SET) Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive *1 order*
Swiftech MC21 Mosfet Heatsinks (2) orders
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA Waterblock (already comes with barbs) *1 order*

ok, that edit helps a bit Dj, next time it happens I'll have to get my stick! :santa: yep, everything is just peachy there, but as phil suggested ram/pwm sinks are a must. Don't go tygon, not worth the price, go with the nonbranded tygon that www.sidewindercomputers.com sells, same stuff yet only costs .60 compaired to almost 3 dollars...

edit: Coolant wise, distilled water with biocide is only thing needed, if color is wanted I suggest primochill dye bombs, liquid utopia is also very handy, just inject and run, contains biocide and pump lube.

edit2: Tubing suggestion http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dupvctu7id5o.html easier to route than 1/2, I would buy at least 10 feet, just to have extra just in case you screw up, hell at the price go for 20'
rad fittings: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dthiflfi1bst.html

Last edited:
Funny thing^^ I just put Tygon (lol) it was actually

ClearFlex 60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing - Identical to Tygon.
Price: $1.60 per foot

ok, perhaps you guys can school me..this is where I get confused and frustrated. I tried google and some other sites. None talked about barbs/tube sizes. How can 7/16in. ID 5/8in work with something like a Swiftech MCP655 Water Pump (½" barb fittings (fits 1/2 ID tubing) Arent you suppose to match the sizes up? I am kinda all new to this...but i have been reading alot.

Swiftech MCR220-QP Dual 120mm Radiator Black and selecting Barbs for this 1/4-3/8 vs
1/4 1/2

I need to find something that talks about barbs ....or maybe u guys can explain. Sorry for being a pain!

agree about the coolant.
if its true, agree about the tubing
agree about tubing diameter, 7/16" is becoming, if it isnt already, more popular than 1/2" ID

be weary of the arctic silver thermal adhesive. once those sinks are on, they will not come off; a warning if you have to rma your card and reattach the stock cooler. i personally prefer a thermal tape. sidewinder sells akasa tape thats cheap and works great.

i would think that the swiftech rads do, but verify they also include barbs.

clamps, there are worm drive and herbie clips. use whichever you like; the worm drive are more reliable in that herbies can slip off in time and moving. if you go with 7/16" ID tubing you will already have a pretty reliable, tight fit with the 1/2" barbs.

Hmm..well I can go ahead and pick up that thermal tape. ^^ Even though it's a tight fit I am still going to need clamps/clips :)

reason a lot of people like the 7/16" ID tubing is because of the tight fit you get over the 1/2" barbs. 7/16 is very close 1/2, however, it will offer a mode snug fit on those 1/2" barbs giving you less risk of leaking.

some do have trouble squeezing the tubing over 1/2" barbs, however, i have never heard of someone never being able to get it. most people will soak the tubing in hot water so its softer, then force it over the barbs.

some do not use clamps with 7/16" tubing since it is that tight fit. others will use zip ties. personally, i would send the extra money on clamps since its not worth the leak, but its up to you. you can buy herbies, which are cheap; then do you build and if you dont want um, dont use them. :)

eh, I used thermal epoxy on my ramsinks and a slight twist and they easily popped off. I suggest thermal tape at any rate too. Durelene tubing is made by Saint-Gobain, which also make tygon, same stuff, you're just paying for the brand name on the Tygon. Swiftech rads DO NOT include barbs so they are a must. If you use 7/16 tubing you need no clamps, zip ties work wonders on those. On to the question about pairing sizes, this tubing streches a mile, I can fit 7/16 over my pump which is 5/8 barbs with ease, can even fit 3/8 over it with a bit more effort.

ADDED:
Durelene PVC tubing 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD by Saint-Gobain
DTek High Flow Fittings 1/4in BSPP thread to 1/2in ID Hose Barb *QUANTITY 2*

^^^^
Alright guys am i ready?

~~~Watercooling~~~
Tygon tubing 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing -Edit: how mant feet should I buy?-

Do I need anything else guys? Fittings.. Oh crap! coolant..What do you recommended?

Unfortunately I have already committed to the bottom as I have charged it on my credit card already

Video Card Crap**
MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512M
Swiftech MC14 Copper Heatsinks (2) orders
Arctic Silver ASTA-7G (2-PC-SET) Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive *1 order*
Swiftech MC21 Mosfet Heatsinks (2) orders
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA Waterblock (already comes with barbs) *1 order*

Don't go tygon, not worth the price, go with the nonbranded tygon that sells, same stuff yet only costs .60 compaired to almost 3 dollars...

Don't get me wrong saxile, if saving a few bucks is important, that's fine, but the product discription clearly states that this stuff is NOT the same as 3603. My personal opinion when it come to tubing is this: $35 for 10 feet of tubing every year or so is nothing if it buys my some peace of mind. Even a simple mix like distilled and biocide (not to mention dye of any sort) becomes a fairly toxic brew after a few million circuits.

Which brings me to my next question....I read that UV Dye focks the waterpump and tubes up. Thoughts?

Which brings me to my next question....I read that UV Dye focks the waterpump and tubes up. Thoughts?

:) That depends on what you mean by "focks". It can stain into the wall of your tube, giving it a permanent tint. Chemicals in your loop can catalyze\combine into unanticipated things and become toxic. Reactions like this can make tubing brittle, and you know what that could mean. :eek: This is why it's good to flush regularly no matter what you use.

Back