• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Batch Numbers. What's good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sarsbaby

Disabled
I'm looking into getting an E8400 and wanted to know what Batch numbers to look out for, as far as being good or bad.

It will be going into my sig PC. I'm not getting this right away, but I was just curious so I can take my time and find the right one.

In this thread I also am trying to tackle to Good Vs. Bad of the E8400 Batch numbers.

So, even if you don't know what is good or bad, please post any results from your E8400 System.

Any and all who do have my Thanks and appreciation!

I also hope this thread can Help others in the future in making there decision on which CPU to get.

Last edited:
The Q743A batch is the best followed by Q745A and then Q746A generally speaking. The Q80*A showed nice numbers as well. At least that's what I take from the results in the overclocking result thread.

yeah, Q807As and Q808As have all had stellar examples show up. at the same time, i got three Q808A476s all identical pack date etc... one does 4GHz at 1.216v prime stable under an Ultra-120, the other two need 1.288v...so they can vary from chip to chip even in the good batchs.

yeah, Q807As and Q808As have all had stellar examples show up. at the same time, i got three Q808A476s all identical pack date etc... one does 4GHz at 1.216v prime stable under an Ultra-120, the other two need 1.288v...so they can vary from chip to chip even in the good batchs.

That's good enough for me, thanks! If I win it i'll post results. I know it's gonna run cooler than my E6600 and at better speeds.

i know i love my Q745A, 4.0Ghz with 1.216v. I do 4.6 at 1.45v for benchmarks (not sure about stability though)

Mine is a Q810 packed on 4/10/08 and thus far its not so stellar. Can't really get it prime stable at 4.0 ghz on anything less than 1.4 vcore. Still a great processor, but I was hoping for a little better performance based on what some of the earlier batches are doing. Fortunately, I'm running watercooling so even at 1.4 and up Vcore, I'm still yet to exceed 50C temp while running prime.

I wouldn't recommend Q748A, that's what I had, and it didn't perform really well.

Seconded and Thirded.

Avoid Q748A116 at all costs. It's what I have right now. It's stable, yes, it's not over-heating, that's alright. What's not cool is that it requires an insane amount of vCore to achieve a ridiculously timid over-clock of 700Mhz (+/-). If you don't want to put 1.344v for such a an over-clock you don't want to buy that batch, believe me. And by the way I'm not the only one reporting that, just Google that batch for immediate results.

Batch Q744s seem to be pretty rare, only three of them reported on this forum (do a search).

Anyway, that batch seems to underperform when pushing to 4Ghz, as they need high Vcore (>1.375), which I can corroborate. Mine runs up to 3.6 really easily (aka @ stock), but won't make it to 4.0 without that massive voltage boost.

Batch Q744s seem to be pretty rare, only three of them reported on this forum (do a search).

Anyway, that batch seems to underperform when pushing to 4Ghz, as they need high Vcore (>1.375), which I can corroborate. Mine runs up to 3.6 really easily (aka @ stock), but won't make it to 4.0 without that massive voltage boost.

I have a Q744 batch I think ;)

Q813 here.

Even at 1.4V, 4005MHZ crashed Prime95 in 5 seconds. Needed higher.

The batch number is engraved on the CPU face also, the last row of letters/numbers

Well shucks. I'm not taking off my HS just to figure out something that doesn't really affect me (it's not like I can return my E8400 if it's a 'bad' batch).

I would like to see more results from OC101... and others with Q813's... I am about to build a new PC and just got an E8400 (Q813A145)

Cheers

I would like to see more results from OC101... and others with Q813's... I am about to build a new PC and just got an E8400 (Q813A145)

Cheers

At 445x9, I can't get mine stable (in Prime95) at 4005MHZ without using 1.425V. Max load temperature is 59~63C read by RealTemp 2.5. (10C higher on CoreTemp).
At 450x9, I can't get it stable with any voltage. Although it can finish all the benchmarks including 3dmark06 no problem, but Prime95 crashes within 30 seconds.

My batch is Q813A199. Packed on 5/1 as said on the box.

What makes the different batch different anyway? Why some are better than the others.

@ OC101

Can you also provide additional details of makers,... of your RAM, PSU, and Motherboard.

Thanks.

@ OC101

Can you also provide additional details of makers,... of your RAM, PSU, and Motherboard.

Thanks.

Corsair XMS PC6400 rated 5-5-5-12
Antec True 380W
Asus P5K Deluxe
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

P.S. Right now I am running at 472 x 8.5 = 4012MHZ @ 1.425V for CPU, 2.3V & 6-6-6-18 for RAM @ 1:1.
One of the two tests of Prime95 crashed after 33 minutes with 1 error.

Back