• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #81

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 81th in the series of T32 Spotlights!!

NOTE: For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

David_N

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
I started seriously folding in late December 2007 (I think around the 27th or 28th). I've since been folding pretty much 24/7 on my PS3 and on my quad core. I folded for a bit prior to this occasionally, but that was for a team I started for a group of friends and myself, but it never really took off.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow team members to know about, what would it be?
I recently converted nearly completely to mac :eek: The octo-core in my sig hasn't been ordered yet, I'm not sure if I'm going to get it now or when I start university in September which will get me close to $1000 off... I know that mac is a terrifying prospect for almost all of you, but for what I do with computers, it's really the only way to go I realized. I still regularly use my quad core and will continue to do so :)

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
EOC

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
State? Psh, up in the great white north we have provinces! Anyways, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. For those that don't know, it's the furthest province east, just north-east of Maine.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
I saw the sub-forum above the benchmarking forum, was curious about it, and started reading some more about it. A few months later, I found it again, and this time began folding.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
I have a strong history of Cancer in my family, and although many of the people who have it are no longer with us, I'd like to think I'm doing something if not for them, for their offspring (myself included I guess). I don't do a whole lot of charity or volunteer work, so folding makes me feel a little better about that.

What do you do for a living?
I'm in my last year of high school and do freelance photography for what money I make.

What do you do for fun?
I'm an active sailor (Laser and 420 classes mainly, but whatever I can get my hands on will do :)) and love to ski. I also love to travel.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Jumping in my car, driving to somewhere random I've never been and getting lost, then taking some photos and figuring out where I am. I've got some of my favorite photos by doing this, and haven't gotten lost yet :) It's so nice just driving without knowing where you're going, just driving for the sake of exploring and getting some nice memories from the trip. When I get home, I stick the photos on my computer, see what I have, and load up my editing software to see how far I can stretch my creativity.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
Currently the following is my main folding rig:

Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600@3520MHz [440x8], 4x1024Mb Mushkin HP-DDR2-800@880MHz 4-5-4-11, XFX G92 8800GTS, 4x500gb Seagate 7200.10's -60gb RAID0 [BOOT disk], 1352gb RAID5 [STORAGE disk] + 74gb Raptor for dual Ubuntu64 VM's [FOLDING disk]

It's quite a quick machine and I net about 3800ppd +/- 200 from it. I'm quite excited to order the octocore whenever I do, that should do 6-7k ppd :) To be quite honest, I don't do much other that a little photoshop, MSN, and web-browsing. Occasionally I do a little java coding on it too.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
Everything I use for folding is in my sig. I'm not actually using the non-existent octo-core system for obvious reasons... When my dad goes away I borrow his PS3 and fold with that for the duration of his trip :)

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
I'm thinking of taking commerce/MBA in University, but that could very well change. I've also considered IT and law. My main goal in life is to live a long, happy life with a loving family.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
I know you probably all dislike one thing about me, my obnoxious avatar, I think I do quite a good job avoiding fanboyism otherwise though :) I use macs because they have, in my opinion, superior editing software that I use for my photo editing and I prefer the unix foundation over windows.

Here's where I get all my work done.
my.php

EDIT: David, your imageshack linky doesn't work...... :confused:

Good to meet you David. :beer:

Been trying to get down east for the last year. (Maybe this summer) So much more laid back than Ontario. :)

Fold on !! :welcome:

Hi, David, nice to meet you.:)

I completely understand your "driving for the sake of exploring".

That's why I have my Jeep CJ-5.

Glad to meet you David. Going out for a drive just to explore is one of the things that I used to do all the time, but now that I pretty much work out of my truck, and spend most of my working day behind the wheel, it gets pretty tiresome.

Don't worry about your avatar, David. Macaholic has been a regular on this team (on and off), for a long time.

Everybody in the business knows that Mac's are used a great deal in graphics work of all kind, and generally, preferred.

Thanks everyone! I had gone away for quite a while and hoped all my rigs would stay up (I managed to get them all turned on after my fiasco where I had to shut them all down...), but it seems that we lost power pretty much hours after I left... I'll spend some time later today getting my quad core and PS3 back online after I play some GTA4 :beer:

I'll try to get a picture of my workspace back online, I don't know why the link is dead :screwy:

Anyways, I'll be back folding in full force soon! I miss you guys and the forum :)

Landshark, on a separate note, I can't find the list of who is going to be interviewed next. I keep getting the same page up, the page listing previous interviews. Also, I think that list hasn't been updated in a while. Sorry to nag...:bang head

Nice to know more about you David.:) Glad you did the interview!

I know that mac is a terrifying prospect for almost all of you
When they let us use the Apple OS on our home builds MS will be in a world of hurt.:eek: It folds...whats not to like?:)

Glad to now your a fellow Skier.

Been all over up North...Mont Tremblant, Lake Loiuse, Black Comb Whistler...Just a Tre Beautiful Country you live in. Also Ann of the Green Gables my wifes favorite movie.:beer:

Back