• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA IV resolution: 360 vs PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Some knowledgeable folks over at forum.beyond3d have found that the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV runs at a resolution of 720p (1280×720) but the PS3 version only runs at 630p (1120×630). But the PS3 still looks better regardless which may be down to "HDR vs X360 MDR, post-process..."

News Source: forum.beyond3d.com

I can't go to the official site for this quote, because of company firewall. Someone care to explain this please? It's just confusing that the xbox runs at a higher resolution but the PS3 looks better.

Please absolutely no flaming. I just want to understand why. Any graphic engineers care to explain?

Some knowledgeable folks over at forum.beyond3d have found that the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV runs at a resolution of 720p (1280×720) but the PS3 version only runs at 630p (1120×630). But the PS3 still looks better regardless which may be down to "HDR vs X360 MDR, post-process..."

News Source: forum.beyond3d.com

I can't go to the official site for this quote, because of company firewall. Someone care to explain this please? It's just confusing that the xbox runs at a higher resolution but the PS3 looks better.

Please absolutely no flaming. I just want to understand why. Any graphic engineers care to explain?

So the the PS3 version of GTA IV is not in HD but the 360 version is? That's what many PS3 fans said about Halo3, it's rendered below HD resolution only scaled to 720p, so it's not an HD game. So that means GTA IV for PS3 is not HD, right?

1974_eating_popcorn.gif

Well a gamestop friend of mine said the PS3 and 360 appear to look the same when it comes to resolution, but the PS3 version does look a little better with smoother LoD and HDR.

I am unable to find the original forum thread so really not sure the details beyond one looks better at a lower resolution. So skipping the specifics basically the PS3 version must have various filters applied to it that are able to improve the image to a quality above the x360 version. Anyway I am sure you already know that and as for specifics on the filters/techniques I have no idea as I have not followed this game at all nor seen any threads on it discussing real makeup of the game.

Anyway, personally I think this would be better posted in a GPU section. (Or at least a link posting to this thread)

Last edited:
apparently IGN has a comparisoin, saying the PS3 uses AA while the 360 doesnt, but the 360 has better colors....

i guess we wont truely know until real people have it in their hands

Wierd....

Well going to pick my 360 version up hopefully tomorrow at lunch *crosses fingers*.

Private forum, care to quote?

It just got archived because people were whining and crap.

Short Summary:

FINAL VERDICT

chubigans @ NeoGAF said:
This is a hard decision for multiplatform owners...made harder by the fact that this is one of, if not the, biggest multiplatform release of next-gen so far. I'm not going to get into hardware specifics here, since that'd be kind of ridiculous (such as using 360 hardware reliability against GTA).

First off is rumble. Normally this wouldn't be too big a deal, but Rockstar has implemented it in some really fun ways (your controller vibrates when the phone rings, and the strip club...we'll, you'll see). Do you own a Dualshock 3 for the PS3? If not, perhaps that should be taken into consideration (whether that means spending $120 on launch day for both GTA and DS3 or just picking up the 360 version for $60).

Next is Sixaxis. Mostly it's a novelty for controlling vehicles, as I don't think anyone would choose the PS3 version just for these features (they're a fun diversion, nothing more), but there is one option that's too cool not to mention: flick reloading. I made a thread when Army of Two used this feature. At first, it seems pointless. But for some reason, it just feels natural...to the point where I attempt flick reloading by accident when I'm playing any other shooter. I love it.

And of course, graphics. Every single major site prefers the look and performance of the PS3 version, but let's stand back for a sec. Yes, there are more visual flaws on the 360 version. But nearly every site is quick to point out that they don't interfere with the gameplay, and it's still a visual splendor to experience. As a PS3 owner I know what it is to get the short end of the stick in graphic performance, sometimes major (like the Orange Box), sometimes extremely minor (such as Call of Duty 4), and neither title's graphical shortcomings hindered my enjoyment of the game. In single player that wouldn't really matter all that much anyways...except you'll be spending dozens of hours in Liberty City's solo mode. It's a personal decision for sure.

The trade off for better performance is the downloadable content, which we know nothing about except two episodes being exclusive to the X360. Does this mean after the two eps, we could see DLC on the PS3? Yes, but that wouldn't be for another year and a half at the earliest. Perhaps the PS3 will get it's own DLC? Maybe, surely, hopefully, but NOTHING has been confirmed by Rockstar in regards to PS3 DLC. On the other side, DLC has absolutely been confirmed for 360, and Rockstar is excited to deliver the content as early as August. Considering how great the story is according to reviews, that's just plain awesome news.

And there you go. What many multiplatform owners are considering is buying the PS3 version now, and picking up the 360 version in the fall once the DLC starts crackin'. Another option is to rent the 360 version and see if it really bothers you enough to hamper the experience. And of course, if you love Achievements and Live, then the choice is pretty clear, no?

For most, it will be PS3 now, 360 in the fall for DLC episodes...a win/win for multiplatform owners.

WARNING: Xbox 360s that are not equipped with HDDs (no matter what size) seem to suffer from more technical flaws, including longer load times. Those few with 360 Arcade units should try to get a HDD for the best GTA experience. Review units in the articles above are typically done on Pro machines unless otherwise noted.

i would love to see some pics of the graphics issues / lacking / differences so many people are claiming...

Odd. Everything I read says the 360 has a smoother and higher overall fps but more pop up when driving. Other than that no real difference. Who cares at this point. Time to get the game and have some fun.

Who cares at this point. Time to get the game and have some fun.

Exactly! I've been having fun with it so far, pretty fun just doing typical GTA stuff - going around causing mayhem. :)

Nah.... i will wait for a while before I get this game. Still on Call of Duty 4.

WAR COD4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odd. Everything I read says the 360 has a smoother and higher overall fps but more pop up when driving. Other than that no real difference. Who cares at this point. Time to get the game and have some fun.

what is this pop-up thingy everyone's talking about?

what is this pop-up thingy everyone's talking about?

Previous GTA games were kind of bad about it and even Bully on the 360 is sort of bad about it too. It's when the GPU/CPU is slow to render animations or objects and things just pop up out of nowhere instead of being already drawn in and getting larger/smaller as you move toward or away from it....

More or less its a draw distance type thing. When I play GTA:VC on the PSP it can be horrible, but then again sometimes its totally fine, or good enough to beable to anticipate things.

I just got back from Wors Buy with my preorder. I got there right before they opened. There was no long line. They had my copy ready. They seemed to have a whole cart full of copies, not sure if those were preorders though. I dont think it will be hard to get a copy.

how are the stores looking? do they still have copies?
Just got back from Gamestop with my preordered copy. They told me that they are almost out of non-reserved copies and it was good that I had reserved mine. But that is in Manhattan, KS.

Back