• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus Formula Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mendriel

Registered
Hey gang,

I've been running into some problems with my rig in the last few days. I'm just trying to confirm I am on the right track and whether or not my issues are acceptable.

The other day I started getting spontaneous reboots. Long story short, after dropping a lot of money on new hardware and Vista (this was only the catalyst for the upgrade...I had been meaning to anyway), I am still having my same reboots with the BSOD even in safe mode.

I finally started thinking I was dealing with heat issues so after one of these all too familiar fits, I shut down and started feeling around. It seemed like the heat sink on my northbridge was hotter than it should be. After letting it sit for about 5 minutes, it booted right up without any problems. Thinking about it, my troubles always occurred during gaming sessions or after the box had been on for a long period of time (i.e. overnight testing my HDD).

Here's my system:
E8400 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7
Maximus Formula
1GB x2 PC6400 Crucial Ballistix
EVGA 8800GTS
Seagate Barracuda SATA/300

I was overclocked, but with the advent of my troubles I have reverted everything to stock.

The questions I have are:
1. Does my logic seem feasible or are my problems likely something else?
2. Are there any good programs I can use to monitor my specific mobo temperatures (I included a CPUID screenshot, but I don't know if anything on there is my NB).
3. I'd like to upgrade a few of the fans in my case. Any recommendations on what fans have a good balance of flow and noise?
4. I've run memtest+ 86 and Drive Fitness Test with no problems. Any programs out there I can use to test the health (not looking at overclocking performance here) or my video card and my mobo?
5. Lastly, since I'm here, is there any software I can use to override the BIOS controls for my CPU fan? Preferably I'd like to leave it powered from the mobo.

Thanks guys!!!
Andy

Monitor%205APR08.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with a Rampage Forumula and an E8400. I concluded it was heat related. I have been running Everest Ultimate and it shows my NB is ~58c and SB is 48c under idle. This is with only a 20% OC, something which should be doable on air. I haven't pushed it for a long gaming session just yet, but I can imagine it's going to get A LOT higher than that. I saw another person on the ASUS forums mention that their Maximus was doing this too and they wanted to know if they fixed this issue with the Rampage.

I think there is some discrepancy in manufacturing on how well the silent pipe and heatsinks are touching the chip. I need to open my case and investigate this. Perhaps it just isn't making good contact? These temps seem way too high for idle given the cooling solution on top of the chip.

I have the same problem with MB heat too...I've asked a question similar to yours in this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=553440 . The answer was that I shouldn't worry to much about it...

Now, even with standard settings, with my CPU at 1.2V (I'm using a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler), NB at 1.38V and SB at 1.07V, my temperatures on idle, with the casing open are: 24C on CPU, 41C on NB and 41C on SB. And this is AFTER I mounted a small 20mm fan on my SouthBridge, before it was about 3-4C more on NB and SB.
Now, if I OC my CPU to 3.87 (I have a E8400 too, and I dunno why, but I can't get a stable overclock past this value...nevermind prime95 and orthos: my pc randomly restarts after a while...), with voltage 1.31V on V-Core it's, my NB voltage will rocketsky to 1.64V on Auto, and I forced it to 1.49V in bios, but even then it will jump to 1.52V (but still be stable). In that case, in load, the temps will go up to 50C on CPU, 56-57C on NB and 50-52C on SB. I'm going to apply a few more fans somewhere in the NB region (thou, that's a bit difficult, considering the fact that the CPU cooler is so big that blocks any fan that could go on the NB).
Can anyone tell me how difficult is to remove the Asus heatsink (can it be done without removing the mobo from the casing?) so I can apply some Artic Silver on it? I'm thinking that Asus started saving on a good Thermal Compound Paste :D.
And any ideas on why can't I get a stable OC past 3.87GHz on my CPU (I tried everything, increasing voltages, reducing voltages, different combinations of RAM Frequencies and latencies...My computer specs can be found in my sig...)

It's good to see that this probably isn't an isolated instance. If I pulled off and lapped my stock NB & SB heatsinks, would it make enough of a difference, or would I be better off leaving the heat sink alone and getting better airflow over them?

Is that the temperature of your E8400 in IDLE??? IF it is then it is HIGH in my opinion since you are running it at STOCK speed.

How do you see your hard drive temperature in CPUID?? I ran mine and it did not show up :)

Yes, that is idle, but I'm not sure if I really trust what CPUID is telling me. I've included caps of both CPUID and the ASUS utility taken within about 20 seconds of each other...as you can see it shows a 5 degree difference. Does that 40 degrees make more sense at idle?

As for HDD monitoring...I have no idea how to configure it to do so, I'm using the program straight "out of the box". It's version 1.07.1...maybe newer than the version you have?

MonitorA%206APR08.jpg

MonitorB%206APR08.jpg

I'm running a Maximus Formula S.E. that was flashed to Rampage Formula. Both my temps on NB and SB stayed consistent on both versions.

I don't have random reboot issues and I'm also running 500 fsb daily with 1.61 in bios. Mine stays around 41-43c idle, and highest I've ever seen it is 47c under load and gaming. I leave it folding every night with no issues. Although I do have alot of fans on my case I would say dedicated a 120mm fan to blow directly on the NB is a good solution, unless of course ur WCing it.

But 58c... yes thats very high, get a fan on it!

My setup is the following:

Coolermaster Stacker 830

2 x 120mm fans intake on front one for hardrives other is windtunneling to my CPU cooler.
1 x 120x35mm thick delta 120cfm exhaust fan directly behind cpu cooler.
2 x 120mm fans on side panel one for videocards and other is currently blowing across southbridge/northbridge.

I appreciate the feedback and recommendations.

Out of curiosity, where did you see 58C?

nvm, I see that that was from DNA Dan's post. :)

Last edited:
Considering my 1.62V on NB, I'd say no...However, my friend, that has a E6850 and this board, has 1.34V on NB on standard settings

I assume any decent computer shop should have a PS tester?

I have a multimeter...if I use that should I be testing at a molex? And what parameter, voltage?

I assume any decent computer shop should have a PS tester?

I have a multimeter...if I use that should I be testing at a molex? And what parameter, voltage?

As far as the multimeter, Im drawing blanks as I've never had to troubleshoot that far. PS testers are fairly easy to find, best buy has em, so does any online vendor.

Cool, I'll swing by and grab one. Can't hurt having it even if my PSU is fine.

I just got off the phone with ASUS Tech Support. They were very willing to help, but I'm not sure if he took me to a solution that I like.

First of all he told me they have had a lot of complaints about the Maximus Formula and that I very well could have a faulty board. But for the purposes of my troubleshooting I am going to assume that it's fine.

He recommended I run the system with one stick of RAM at a time. Makes sense - will do. He also recommended I remove me second HDD and run with just the one. Sure, I'll give that a shot too.

When I told him I was running an 8800GTS, he immediately asked me what PSU I am running. Well, it's a Corsair HX520W. I've heard a lot of hemming and hawing about how a PSU shouldn't be measured by Wattage, but current. I took the recommendation for this PSU on blind faith. With the following build, is it possible that this PSU is inadequate?

Maximus Formula (duh)
E8400
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
2 1GB Sticks of DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 8800GTS
2 SATA HDDs
2 IDE DVD Drives
1 External USB HDD
6 Chassis Fans
1 Mobo Fan (In addition to the aforementioned CPU Cooler Fan)
Keyboard & Mouse

After I test my RAM one stick at a time I need to see if I can dig up an old PCI video card now so I can pull out my 8800. Last build was AGP so that's useless to me. Wish me luck!

What do you think about this one...

I ran Orthos (Small FFTs) and simultaneously scanned for artifacts with ATI Tool. I'm monitoring my video card with Riva Tuner and my mobo stats with PC Probe II. Randomly through the time I ran the stress tests my DRAM, SB and FSBT voltages would drop to zero. Also I have no fan speed indication anymore on the small fan I have on my mobo power supply fins.

On a side note, I have to flash my CMOS with every reboot now or I hang indefinitely during the POST. My little LCD poster says it's hanging at memcheck.

But 58c... yes thats very high, get a fan on it!

Why would it run this hot out of the box? I mean a 400FSB bump should be nothing with the amount of metal on this thing. I have adequate cooling on the case.

I put on the supplied NB fan but it says to not use it if you are actively cooling CPU. That makes no sense to me at all. Can someone enlighten me?

With the fan on there I can get -5c off the NB temp. Doesn't affect other temps at all.

mendriel, look what I stumbled upon on the internet? This: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/over...ms-overclocking-problems-check-out-first.html
I found it very usefull, and although my Maximus Formula wasn't fixing my RAM at a specific voltage, after I forced it to run at 2.1V I managed to get a stable OC at 4.05GHz.

I did have to up the NB Voltage to 1.63V however, so I also managed to reduce the heat problem, regarding the NB and SB. Now, what I did to relatively solve the problem of the NB/SB temps (I'm saying relatively cuz it's not arctic area in here, but it isn't hot anymore, even at 1.63V in NB) is this: I've took a old 4-8-6 PC (remember those ~15 years old PCs? :) ) CPU Fan (it's about 20mm in size), and attached it onto my SouthBridge (using duct tape, and leaving about 5 mm space between it and the southbridge heatsink surface...remember...airflow has to go somewhere after hitting the northbridge...). After that I modded my case, so that the fan (80mm Fan) on the side would blow air right on the RAM, the HeatPipe and the NB Heatsink.
Idle temps: 39C on SB @1.07V and 45C on NB @ 1.63V
Load tems: 45C on SB and 52C on NB
Compare those temps with what I previously had at WAY low voltages (1.52V on NB was going up to 56C...) and u will realise that it isn't a bad solution...especially if ur on the budget:D
Also, if u can, try removing the heatsink from the MoBo, and applying Arctic Silver on it (make sure u remove the old thermal paste). Tell me how it works out if u try this...

About ur PSU...I know that 8800GTS uses up a lot of power...and it covers ur SB so it will make more heat (long live the small HD3650...YAAY:D). But I also know that it shouldn't be THAT much of a power usage that it would challenge for ur PSU, especially when rig was not OCed...Try asking ur friends to lend you thier PSU (if it's more powerfull) for a day or two, time in which u stress test ur PC to the max...If u don't hit any problems then ur PSU is the problem. Otherwise, something else is the problem...Try what I said about the RAM...I know it helped me...Hope it helps u too...

Last edited:
JCD37,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately fixing the memory settings didn't help, but it's probably good to have it set right anyway.

So anyway, today I ran Orthos again with 3DMark06. Since CPUID Hardware Monitor displays current and max parameter values, I had it running as well. When it was finished with its run, my max NB and SB temps were around 150 (C, not F)!!! I don't believer this is true, otherwise I probably would have smelled my mobo throughout the house.

My question is, how reliable is Hardware Monitor? Should I expect this error occurred from the software, or is something strange going on with the mobo itself. On numerous occasions prior to this run, I would briefly lose indications of some measured parameters using PC Probe II (voltages and fan speeds would drop to zero).

You guys are probably tired of me pestering with my problems, but for those of you who are trudging through these posts, putting up with me and even offering up suggestions, I really appreciate it!!!

Andy

Back