• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC3d is back and recruiting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Hello all,

Its been many years since I've visited the 3dmark team forum. I am one of several members responsible for its inception, and back in the day had a top 5 3dmark2k1 record-holding Athlon XP/Geforce 2 Ti system. I've recently returned to ocforums and am glad to be home.

When the 3dmark team was formed, a folding@home username was made for its members who wanted to donate their spare cpu cycles to the folding@home project. OC3d is one of the original team 32 folding subteams. For quite a long time it was one of our folding teams' top producers and it has been folding continuously for 5 years now. At its peak it had nealry 70 cpus, mostly running linux. The folding@home project has changed a lot since then, and contributors to OC3d have come and gone. For quite some time now I have been the only member of OC3d, and I'm sorry to say that even I have slacked in maintaining and upgrading OC3ds CPUs. This must change!

This thread is an invitation to anyone and everyone on the ocforums 3dmark team. Many of you may fold@home under your own names, but others among you may not know what folding@home is. Please feel free to check the stickies in the folding team forum.

Folding@home is distributed computing software which will maintain steady load on your cpu and is an excellent test of system stability. The information processed is for medical/biochemical research and is run by Stanford University. It runs on many platforms: windows, linux, mac, ati gpu's, and playstation 3's. There are even client versions to take advantage of smp and multi-core cpu's.

The client software takes a small chunk of work and processes information on how proteins are synthesized (folded). When done, the client sends the completed work back to Stanford and downloads new work to be done. Stanford tracks user statistics and awards points to the project's contributors. Individuals and teams compete over how quickly they can complete work for the project. Overclocker's.com is the 3rd place team in the world. OC3d is ranked 68 on the overclockers.com folding team.

I encourage anyone interested in joining the project to please head to the folding@home forum with any questions and to stanford's folding@home page. You may pick any unused username for the project but please use team# 32 when configuring your folding@home clients. The folding username OC3d is open to any 3dmark members who want to team up at folding@home production.

Last edited:
Good to hear...not much but I should be able to get an E6700 going soon. I'd have a rig or two folding for blips of a couple of months on OC3D in the past, but don't have anything atm.

Ok, OC3d's off to a reasonable start.

1x C2D @ 1.86 smp client
1x C2D @ 1.8 smp client
4x P4 @ 3.2 service install
1x Celeron @ 2.66 service install
Athlon XP @ 1.6 service install
Ati 2600 (getting EUE's though)

Athlon MP duallie waiting on motherboard. Got 2 other Athlon XP boxes sitting out for now.

Last edited:
I'll consider joining once I hit 1M (my main goal) on my name :). I'm about 40k away.

I have (as of now):
QX9650 @ 4.0
Pentium D @ 3.2
PS3

Add a laptop to that once they send me a working one...

Arkaine23: I suggested in the benchmarking team forum that perhaps we could have some sort of FaH benchmarking competition? Say for example time to complete a WU (noting the project/run/clone/gen of course). This would be a more long-term benchmarking contest of sorts. Do you think it could fly?

Arkaine23: I suggested in the benchmarking team forum that perhaps we could have some sort of FaH benchmarking competition? Say for example time to complete a WU (noting the project/run/clone/gen of course). This would be a more long-term benchmarking contest of sorts. Do you think it could fly?
So you are saying I should break out my dry ice pot and do a work unit in an hour? :)

Well the client does give a benchmark score when launched...

Arkaine23:

I wasn't involved in the original Team32....but I'd like to join up with the Team if I can.....p.s. how many WUs before I can buy one of those grovey t-shirts?...:beer:

Back