• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thideras's Scythe Orochi review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
EDIT: April 19th (2009),
Since OC Pulse was taken down, thideras has decided to post the review up here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6067878#post6067878

ITS HERE!!!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=6067878#post6067878
:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Well in the past few months I have been working on ProCooling and hiring new people to try and make the site better. One of the things I did was hired reviewers and Thideras is one of them :beer: So because of the wonderful people at Scythe and Jab-Tech I sent him an Orochi which he is currently reviewing :) He will shortly be posting some data he has collected so far as a teaser and then, when its done, we will link to the review.

Thread approved by Krag, Super Moderator

UPDATE: March 18
Click here for the latest results!

Last edited:
Started testing tonight. The tests will be on my QX9650 with speeds from 3.0 to 4.4 with 200mhz increments (400fsb with half multis ;)). I tested voltages so that it will be stable during these tests. I am doing multiple mounts to make our testing more accurate, so this is just the tip of the iceberg. I am not able to give impressions at this point, and I am only showing part of my data as I don't want to give everything away! Sorry about that :-/

a93e78cf.jpg

It is one huge cooler, must be a pain to mount

From the data it seems to be quite an effective passive cooler, with some laminar flow one could have a very good silent cooler, natural convection will not be enough to dissipate the heat from the fins

It is one huge cooler, must be a pain to mount

From the data it seems to be quite an effective passive cooler, with some laminar flow one could have a very good silent cooler, natural convection will not be enough to dissipate the heat from the fins
Yes, it is big. I can't comment on how it mounts just yet. ;)

I must make a note. I am using the program called "Core Damage". It puts out substantially more heat than Prime95/Orthos and even Intel's own TAT.

Heh, from that pic it looks even bigger than I thought. If I'm not mistaken, that gets in the way of your upper PCI-E slots? :p Or on longer cards anyway.

I think they want you to mount it the other way so a fan on top can cool your ram ;)

I think they want you to mount it the other way so a fan on top can cool your ram ;)
Possibly, but the point of this review is to test the heatsink, and that is what I'm doing. Other temps be damned ;)

Does the motherboard flex in a vertical position?
I can test later tonight. I run the motherboard without the nuts holding it down, so I MUST remember to put them on first >.<

Yes, it is big. I can't comment on how it mounts just yet. ;)

I must make a note. I am using the program called "Core Damage". It puts out substantially more heat than Prime95/Orthos and even Intel's own TAT.

Thanks for the heads up on "Core Damage." Any links to it? I wanna test it out. I have only been using P95 to dump heat and really wanna get my CPU A'BURNIN!

I'd make that decision based on the case - depending on whether the exhaust is top panel or back panel. I'd want airflow to go through the fins to the exhausts - not bump into the top/bottem fin :p

Another thing to try is with a fan in a tower position. Add that to the list?

Back