• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Diskless Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Updated version out. If diskless is your bag run, don't walk !

1 March 08: Fix a bug in the hang check - wasn't killing cores with a 0 in the PID. Fix 1903637 - Add kill link to homepage. Fix 1870815 - Allow SMP per 2 CPUs.

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/

I've been waiting patiently for this. My mini farm was having intermittent problems with wu's hanging @ 100%.

With this fix and the ability to now run smp x 2 per quad, it's time for my mini farm to stretch it's legs.....

Fold on :attn:

P.S. Many beer for "notfred" :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Bumpage.......

While not for everybody, worth a look for anyone folding on multiple machines.

Bonuses:
-Less parts required, (no floppy, no optical drive, no hard drive & no video card)
-Less power consumed.

Notfred's guide walks you through entire process. Very newb friendly.

Notfred has released another update:

14 March 08: Upgrade to new kernel version (support more network cards), glibc and busybox. Fix 1881099 - Add folding directory link to web interface. Fix 1880850 - Optional enable of screen blanking. Fix 1914624 - Configurable Workgroup. Fix 1914625 - Disabling of nmbd and smbd.

How many are running Diskless on T32 ???

I've just started back up folding, but I have 2 potentials that would probably be ideal candidates for diskless. Both have available optical drives, even though it's unnecessary. One only would need a processor, and the other I would just need to find some sort of case/protection from the cat and my daughter :) Oh, and somewhere to put it...

Just testing it out on a very low spec P4 system, it went on seamless, ok i put the disk in rebooted and away it went, Going to try it out on the E6600 when it finishes its current wu..

Running Version 6.01beta2

Oh, and somewhere to put it...

That's another bonus with headless/diskless folding. As long as the layer is stable you can put it anywhere. Now that notfred has added the "Remote reboot" option, you no longer need physical access to the layer.

whats the performance advantage to this?

I would say none.

I use it for the cost savings, (in parts & hydro) but the simplicity is also a BIG factor for me.
I'm personally not interested in changing configs & setups all day to get a few more points. If Stanford wants me to fold something, i fold it.

does it boot up via a network

Yup. You just need a machine to act as a server (which can be anything, a PII will do) for your diskless layers, and off you go.

That's another bonus with headless/diskless folding. As long as the layer is stable you can put it anywhere. Now that notfred has added the "Remote reboot" option, you no longer need physical access to the layer.

True... but I still have to get it plugged into my LAN :)

but I still have to get it plugged into my LAN

One cable run away from diskless bliss........lol :beer:

this could be good for the older thin clients i have from my old job

All i can say is try it. You may find that you don't like it or it won't work with your equipment etc. No way to know until you try.

error when loading kernel.

Code:
This Kernel Requires The Following features Not Present on the CPU
0:6 0:8
Unable to boot

It's a VIA Processor.

Just a guess....... Do you have any cpu features disabled in the bios ??

I've never used a Via processor or seen a error message like that. :shrug:

lol i'll have to look.

Edit: Everything that i can see is enabled. maybe the kernel is just not set for a VIA. dono..

it loads kernel32 and initrd... after load says ready and then i get the error.

Ok, good. :thup:

I DL'd both just in case, but made the ISO of the "2" version.

Kinda cool, this will boot in 15 seconds..... :eek: 14..... 13..... :p

Thanks Cuda,
:attn:

Back