• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Average 3D mark for a 3870X2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macstranded

Lately I've been having problems with my 3870X2. It just isn't performing the way I expected. Right now I am running Vista 64 with an E800 CPU and 4GB RAM (and a 3870X2 of course) at stock speeds and I got a 3D mark of 14084 in 3Dmark06 with default settings. Is this what should be expected?

that is low- is the E800 overclocked ?

I get about 18K with a Q6600 @ 3.4 gig

remember 3dmark06 is very cpu dependant

Lately I've been having problems with my 3870X2. It just isn't performing the way I expected. Right now I am running Vista 64 with an E800 CPU and 4GB RAM (and a 3870X2 of course) at stock speeds and I got a 3D mark of 14084 in 3Dmark06 with default settings. Is this what should be expected?

What is your CPU running at?, these cards easily overpower a CPU

I've seen a lot reviews that just ran default settings in the 14k range. If you are not aggressively overclocking the CPU, then you are probably in the ballpark. Try setting the CCC (vid card settings) to all performance, that should help.

Right now my CPU is at stock speed (3.0GHZ) and my chipset, CPU, and GPU are all using stock cooling. How high can I safely OC my CPU with stock cooling?

With a system like yours running at default speed with default settings, I'd say your 3D score is right where it's supposed to be. Now to get higher.

How much you can overclock depends on your CPU temps right now and if you have good case ventilation. Usually, you can O/C with stock cooling as long as you don't raise vcore much.

Exactly which CPU do you have? You said E800, but that must be a typo. Since you said it runs stock at 3 gig, I'll assume it's an E8400. Try 350 FSB and see what happens. That will give you 3.15 gig which should be no problem to get you started. I suspect you can go higher, but try that first and check temps and test for stability.

The ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC for short) is where you can change video settings for ATI cards. Go into CCC and move the 3D "quality" slider all the way to the right (see pic).

ATICAT_14.jpg

Here is a nice tweak guide for the CCC.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

With a system like yours running at default speed with default settings, I'd say your 3D score is right where it's supposed to be. Now to get higher.

How much you can overclock depends on your CPU temps right now and if you have good case ventilation. Usually, you can O/C with stock cooling as long as you don't raise vcore much.

Exactly which CPU do you have? You said E800, but that must be a typo. Since you said it runs stock at 3 gig, I'll assume it's an E8400. Try 350 FSB and see what happens. That will give you 3.15 gig which should be no problem to get you started. I suspect you can go higher, but try that first and check temps and test for stability.

The ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC for short) is where you can change video settings for ATI cards. Go into CCC and move the 3D "quality" slider all the way to the right (see pic).

ATICAT_14.jpg

Here is a nice tweak guide for the CCC.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll try to oc my pcu and look into the CCC guide later tonight and see what I can get out of this rig.

Ok, the image I posted apparently was for "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing". If you click on the 3D standard settings, you'll see a similar window that also has a slider. Slide that all the way to the right and that should change all of the settings to performance. You can also go into each individual setting and change them manually if you want.

my box under vista64 gets 14k and some change with my e8400 @ stock with my x2, it goes up to ~16k at 3.6, I haven't rerun it at 4ghz yet, so I'd say your numbers are pretty much where they should be. 3dm06 score depend on the CPU way too much to actually have anything to do with 95% of the games out there. If you want more insight on this, post up your sub-scores for sm2, sm3/hdr, and cpu, and someone would be able to tell you if they look like the card is running right.

Jeff

Ok, the image I posted apparently was for "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing". If you click on the 3D standard settings, you'll see a similar window that also has a slider. Slide that all the way to the right and that should change all of the settings to performance. You can also go into each individual setting and change them manually if you want.

What is a good way to test the CPUs stability?

EDIT: for some reason my computer won't let me oc my CPU. I enable the CPU host control in the BIOS and up the FSB, but when I save and restart it resets the CPU host to "disabled". I even tried just setting the FSB to 334 and it still disables the CPU host control.

EDIT: I upgraded to the new F7 BIOS and now I can oc, but only one FSB step at a time. Shouldn't I be able to step up in bigger intervals?

Last edited:
my box under vista64 gets 14k and some change with my e8400 @ stock with my x2, it goes up to ~16k at 3.6, I haven't rerun it at 4ghz yet, so I'd say your numbers are pretty much where they should be. 3dm06 score depend on the CPU way too much to actually have anything to do with 95% of the games out there. If you want more insight on this, post up your sub-scores for sm2, sm3/hdr, and cpu, and someone would be able to tell you if they look like the card is running right.

Jeff

SM2=6212
SM3=7682
CPU=2778

those are definately CPU limited scores, actually my sm2 and sm3 score both improved a hair when i OC'd in addition to a huge improvement in CPU score (like bigger % change than the OC%)

Jeff

Back