• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Striker/P5N32 pencil mod (vDroop and/or vCore)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexhuzar

Striker/P5N32 pencil mod (vDroop and/or vCore) instruction GUIDE

PencilMods.jpg

Courtesy of: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134100

vDroop = 100% working (decreases or eliminates difference between load and idle vCore. Also helps increase idle vCore)
vCore = experimental ("supposedly" raises vCore difference between BIOS setting and actually measured. Some people reported lower vCore after this mod, while CPU became hotter.)
Red Arrow = where you measure vCore with your multimeter. Measure the point facing TOWARDS the CPU socket, not away from it.

Initial notes:

Measure resistance with power OFF.
Measure vCore with power ON.

Some say these mods might increase mosfet temps. I haven't been able to confirm this. Please report your results here.

vDroop and/or vCore Instructions:

Step 1: Turn off your computer, unplug power cord, and press the power button on your case/motherboard to discharge capacitors in the PSU.

Step 2: Set your multimeter to 2000k OHM.

Step 3: Measure initial resistance of resistor and post here what your multimeter said at this point! :beer:

Step 4: Use a pencil to make a mark on the resistor from one end all the way to the other making sure to include the metal ends on either side on the top surface of the resistor. (Replace blue line in the picture with the mark from your pencil.) Recommended is a "4B" pencil, but in reality grade does not matter as the only difference would probably be the number of strokes you'd have to make. Do NOT solder or use a conductive ink pen on the resistors!!!! The point is to REDUCE the resistance not get rid of it altogether.

Step 5: Measure again using multimeter to see how much resistance you have actually reduced. Try to go down in 10 kOHM increments and then after blowing away excess graphite power on and boot into windows and measure vdroop (compare idle vCore to running Orthos). Some people say you're meant to take off 100 kOHM off from the vDroop resistor and 50 kOHM from the vCore resistor. I did this mod on my own board and the initial measurement was 57 kOHM on vDroop resistor (I did not do the vCore mod). After 1 pencil mark it went down all the way to 9 kOHM. The vDroop was still present on my system, so I marked it with pencil like 6-8 times and now resistance was at 5 kOHM.

FAQ:

Q: I screwed up. How do I fix this?
A: Use the eraser on the back of the pencil to remove the mark. You can also use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip.

Q: Do I have to do the vCore AND vDroop mod?
A: No. I recommend that you do the vDroop mod only and make sure you do it right so you don't get any more vDroop while running. The vCore mod is simply something that's been documented, but I haven't heard of anyone actually getting positive results. People who try the vCore mod report their vCore being worse than without doing the mod.

Q: What is an acceptable amount of VDroop?
A: My P5N32-E SLI has a natural vDroop of 0.05. After the mod it has no vDroop at all. I actually put too much graphite on the resistor so every 2-5 minutes I get a spike of 0.02 volts ABOVE what I set vCore in the BIOS to.

Q: My load vCore is now higher than idle vCore...wtf?
A: You put too much graphite on the resistor. Clean some off and try again.

Q: How do I use my multimeter to measure vCore?
A: Read your manual on how to measure voltage using the multimeter. Put the black prong from the multimeter into one of the black wires (ground) in any molex connector (DO THIS FIRST for safety reasons), and then touch the vCore measure point with the red prong from the multimeter. The measure point is illustrated by the red arrow in the picture above. If you're still confused, keep looking at the picture LOL. You'll get it eventually...:bang head

More vCore measure points:
attachment.php

I would ask anyone who tries this mod to document here what they measured on their multimeter when measuring the resistors.

Last edited:
Back