• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 vs the Ex38

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well.. since i have the x38-ds4 i looked over the new board.

From a quick overview..
x38-DS4
Both pci-e 2.0 were x16

EX38-DS4
2 x PCI Express x16 (The PCIE_16_1 slot supports x16; the PCIE_16_2 supports x4.)
^This is confirmed on the official spec spreadsheet at gigabyte

You gain dynamic energy saver, and Quad triple phase.

dynamic energy saver is a neutral thing
Quad Triple phase might have been nice...But I am not a hardcore oc'er..

However the true crossfire x16 lanes might be a issue. With that change, might as well go with a less expensive high performance p35.

I wonder why the change..

But then again all the "e" x38's are saying its 16x and 4x, where there is a email reply surfing around the net saying all x38 chipsets is true 16 by 16 pci-e lanes. Unsure what is up.

Last edited:
Yea I mean if you can't get your hands on an x38 which is supposed to support true 16 X 16 then the best value is to had on a P35 or Nvidia 600 series. Those are going dirt cheap right now. Perhaps they are revising their lines to roll out the new x48. I sure hope they didn't pull it for issues with supporting true 16 X 16. I am running this board and so far it's SAWWWEEET!

Both support full x16/16 crossfire, its a typo on newegg. And now it looks like i got ripped off :mad:

It has more of these things, and no molex "aux power connector"

13-128-089-05.jpg

As far as the "Quad Triple phase", most likely you won't notice any difference even if your overclocking a quad

EDIT: it looks like it took place of the X38-DQ6 too

Damn you MOSFETS! Had the x38-DS4 for one day an already it's been replaced with something better. :mad: oh well, so is the way of technological progress. Sure would have bought this one for an extra $5 if it were available. I guess time will only tell if the chip rearrangements/additions are an improvement to an already great board.

Last edited:
speaking of that aux molex connector...its only beneficial for running 2 vid cards right...? No need plugging it in if I only have one card?

speaking of that aux molex connector...its only beneficial for running 2 vid cards right...? No need plugging it in if I only have one card?

depends on the board. I would suggest RTM if you can find it. My Asus board will not boot without the aux molex connected

I was curious about the molex input on my x38 ds4 mobo....it works fine without it...just wondering if I will see any benefit or harm by plugging it in with only one vid card??

Geeze man, I really wish these reviewers and distributors would get the images correct with the actual products they sell or review. The photo on the review site shows a board with only 5 ferrite chokes (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_ex38_ds4/3.htm), which is how the X38-Ds4 looks. Looking at the Gigabyte site for the EX38-DS4 it shows the board has 10. WTF? Which is it? 5 or 10?

Attachments

• overclockers club.jpg
    overclockers club.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 5,412
  • motherboard_productimage_ga-ex38-ds4_big.jpg
    motherboard_productimage_ga-ex38-ds4_big.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3,388
Back