• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wolfdale 45nm compatible with Abit Ab9 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elnoyl

I'm running an ab9 pro currently with an e6600 overclocked to 3ghz on air currently and need to know if my board will support the new 45nm wolfdales i plan on waiting for the quads to be released. Thanks in advance.

check out the cpu support page on Abit's site... i have feeling it wont support 45nm cpu's though...

simply since the new 45nm cpus are 1333fsb/333 the board does not nativly support it. though you can oc to 400mhz range. its more the boards ability to support that fsb nativly that tells you if i will support it or not.

i just don't want to buy a cpu and not have it work. do you have any ideas other than just trying it to see if it will work for sure and if you have seen anyone try the newly released 8400 with the ab9 pro.

simply since the new 45nm cpus are 1333fsb/333 the board does not nativly support it. though you can oc to 400mhz range. its more the boards ability to support that fsb nativly that tells you if i will support it or not.

umm pretty sure lost of people r runnin E6x50's that have a default 333 fsb on 965 chipsets.... :beer:

There is NO reason that board will not run new 45nm stuff. the only reason that it wont is that abit doesnt release a bios update for it, but physically it can no prob, hell my old *** P5W DH has ran Q9650's over at XS before... and the p5w dh came out in 2005!

i recall abit adding the 1333fsb divider option in the bios for the AW9D-MAX being 975x as well. imma have to look but i recall abit adding the 1333fsb divider to the AB9 QUAD GT board.. so yea it would be up to abit to add support for the 45nm cpu...

BIOS update 19 added native 1333/333FSB support to the AB9 Pro. Only thing I'd be concerned with is it reading the VID correctly and setting low enough vcore. FYI, the AW9D-Max (975X) does support the E8400. Someone on the Abit support forum is running one & posted screenshots.

Abit is being quiet on support. I mean, their IP35 compatability lists don't even list the new Wolfdales yet. Evil, I say, evil.

Abit is being quiet on support. I mean, their IP35 compatability lists don't even list the new Wolfdales yet. Evil, I say, evil.
the support chart is behind yes but since bios 1.2 they have had wolfdale support.

1. Update CPU micro code.
2. Support Wolfdale & Yolkfield CPU.
3. Support the pin definition of Front Audio adjusting function.
4. BIOS compiled date: 08/15/2007.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

the ab9-pro had 1333fsb support added in bios 1.9
1. Support FSB1333 CPUs
2. BIOS compiled date: 06/27/2007
but no word even in bios 2.2 for wolfdale support. looks like another one should be coming soon then.
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=AB9+Pro&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

i tend to pass on the cpu support page at abit since they are a bit behind.

HI Hydro here!
Alright folks the verdict is in so read on. Today I went to Fry's and bought the E8400 tray CPU and burned rubber on the way home. I updated my AB9PRO mobo to the latest bios which is #22 and verified it with my E6300. So far so good. I pop in the E8400 CPU and guess what? NO CIGAR!!!!! NO POST the MOBO DOSNT DETECT THE CPU AND IT NO WORKY! Sorry to bring the bad news but ubtil Abit comes out with a bios update for it us AB9 users will have to wait. So for now Im gonna return it and get me a Q6600 and see how far I can take it. Sorry everybody we cant always win. And I love my mobo because of the ESATA and 9 other sata ports, raid, and good overclockability. So Quad Core here I come. Like DR EVIL would say "****"...

HI Hydro here!
Alright folks the verdict is in so read on. Today I went to Fry's and bought the E8400 tray CPU and burned rubber on the way home. I updated my AB9PRO mobo to the latest bios which is #22 and verified it with my E6300. So far so good. I pop in the E8400 CPU and guess what? NO CIGAR!!!!! NO POST the MOBO DOSNT DETECT THE CPU AND IT NO WORKY! Sorry to bring the bad news but ubtil Abit comes out with a bios update for it us AB9 users will have to wait. So for now Im gonna return it and get me a Q6600 and see how far I can take it. Sorry everybody we cant always win. And I love my mobo because of the ESATA and 9 other sata ports, raid, and good overclockability. So Quad Core here I come. Like DR EVIL would say "****"...

YO YO YO BABY BOY, Santa clause is in town. I have had the 8XXX bios for that board for about a month now. I also have the AB9 PRO

here a link for my forum post download ;) ;)

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=50700

ENJOY LADIES!!!!

Hey cybernook2002 THANKS A LOT! I DID IT! MY SYSEM IS SCREEMING RIGHT NOW! Im at 3.87 gig and still testing... Ive got to go to work so Ill be back on later to report more results. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohh yes I forgot the best way to flash your bios is to follow the instructions @ universal Abit forums under the bios section. Use drdflash to create a clean DOS boot disc and awardflash.exe and remame the file to M516A_23.BIN and send it to the floppy. Now check the floppy and verify all files are there. I used the method where you manually type in the switches. It takes you to a screen where you type in the file name M516A_23.BIN and hit enter. Sit back and let it do its thing. when its done shut it down and clear the CMOS and boot up. Good Luck and read all your instructions at the site above. If in doubt ASK SOMEONE so you dont screw up! Good luck and happy overclocking!

well the best way is do it any other way but in windows. the easiest way to do it out of windows. is to put the bios bin file on a cd, then hit ALT-F2 on startup, the flashutil will load. then search for the file by a set name,if the name doesnt match it wont load. there is no way to change the path or file its pulling from.

Overclocking update...Did get it up to 3.97 gig but was unstable! After trying several speeds I found that 3.6 gig is the sweet spot because the higher overclocks did not yeild better benchmarks. I will soon install my old HydroCool 200 and cool the CPU and MCH and see if things get any better. If they dont then I will dedicate the water cooling only for my video card because it seems to be creating the most heat in my case. In the end I may be better off with the Q6600...Ive got 2 weeks to decide...Thanks guys!

Overclocking update...Did get it up to 3.97 gig but was unstable! After trying several speeds I found that 3.6 gig is the sweet spot because the higher overclocks did not yeild better benchmarks. I will soon install my old HydroCool 200 and cool the CPU and MCH and see if things get any better. If they dont then I will dedicate the water cooling only for my video card because it seems to be creating the most heat in my case. In the end I may be better off with the Q6600...Ive got 2 weeks to decide...Thanks guys!

get a new board to get the most out of that cpu m8

Back