• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

529 fsb on micro-ATX board - Asus P5E-VM HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoleg

The cpu used is e6600 B2 stepping.

I am not 100% sure what voltages are needed for northbridge, fsb termination and so forth so I pretty much eyeballed the settings for those. Somewhere on the middle of the drop-down lists in BIOS.

RAM is Crucial D9, 2GB of 1GBx2 in dual channel, 1:1 ratio. I haven't tweaked the timings either, whatever BIOS assumed would be good. The vmem is set to 2.24 - I was aiming for around 2.2v actual after the droop.

video is x800 pci-e card

This little board has more tweaks and adjustments in BIOS than my P5W64 WS Pro. I left most on AUTO but I am positive that P5E-VM could be fine-tuned for some nice overclocks.

The board is unmoded; the sinks on north- and south- bridges are stock.

The short of it: It doesn't like going above fsb 530; not sure whether it's the chipset or the RAM or it needs more tweaking. 529 is good enough for SuperPI. At 521 it has no problems running Blend in Orthos. I think I am going to keep it around for a while.

Pictures:

p5e-vm-529-all.jpg

p5e-vm-529.jpg

CPUZ verification:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=298678

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! The G35 chipset shatters the image of crappy mATX overclockers a la G965...quite impressive. It may be time to dump my Gigabyte trash-clocker.

yep, that certainly is a nice board. MikeC from SPCR got his to 475; people around seem to be getting around 450 on average just by dialing it up. considering that a board like this would end up in some small, cramped case with minimal airflow (just like mine is :p ) , 430-470 will probably be the target range for a very sweet mid-range overclock for some HTPC.

one important thing i forgot to mention - it's with a x800 pci-e card. i don't even know how it does with dedicated graphics; i am not big fun of intel gpu's so i haven't even tried. i'm editing the op.

yep, that certainly is a nice board. MikeC from SPCR got his to 475; people around seem to be getting around 450 on average just by dialing it up. considering that a board like this would end up in some small, cramped case with minimal airflow (just like mine is :p ) , 430-470 will probably be the target range for a very sweet mid-range overclock for some HTPC.

one important thing i forgot to mention - it's with a x800 pci-e card. i don't even know how it does with dedicated graphics; i am not big fun of intel gpu's so i haven't even tried. i'm editing the op.

I wouldn't really call MikeC an OCing authority...but it is good practical experience from someone with alternate goals in mind.

hardly his cup of tea but he's not a n00b either. on the other hand, if he can do 475, we here could probably do a bit better.

:beer: Cheers to that :D

hehe

nice clocks indeed, anyone gonna put one on LN2/DICE?

i wonder if some one will; that would be fun. haven't got anything like that myself though...

i forgot to take screenies of orthos run the last time i did it; re-running it now. i did mention in op that it's orthos stable at 521, so... it's been blending for 19 hours; how long do you guys want it?

oh yah, i took some shot of bios to show the settings i used for 529. if you see something i can tweak there, plz lemme know:

P5E-VM-bios1.JPG

P5E-VM-bios2.JPG

not to give an old topic the dirty bump, but this might be my next board. thanks for the screens. i have 4 lan's this summer (one this weekend) and i'm not sure how im going to carry the tech station there.

so, i might try my hand at a little highpowered lan box. :)

not to give an old topic the dirty bump, but this might be my next board. thanks for the screens. i have 4 lan's this summer (one this weekend) and i'm not sure how im going to carry the tech station there.

so, i might try my hand at a little highpowered lan box. :)

haha ya i feel ya... having my Lian Li full tower V2000b is nice but the lans usually have to come to my house haha!

I got the FSB on this board up to 475 right now. Anything faster than that and the on-board graphics driver starts to crash. I bet this problem will fix itself when I get my 4850 installed tomorrow. :)

Back