• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuTronix

OC Forum Members,

Thank you for your interest in the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide. As I explained to the Moderators, I deleted the Guide because I no longer have time to maintain it on multiple websites.

I originally wrote the Guide at Tom's, and posted it on 2/2/07, where it remains available: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

The Guide is under U. S. Copyright, so please refrain from copying or re-posting.

Thanks,

CompuTronix

Last edited:
Intel's "Thermal Specification" vs. Tcase(max)

Very nice! A couple things I'd like to discuss, though.

I seem to remember discussions a while back concerning Tcase.

From above said:
* The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

It says 'maximum case temperature at the maximum TDP'. That 'maximum TDP' part is what made everyone come to the conclusion that the Thermal Spec was not what we had originally thought and what you outline in this guide (that it is indeed the max Tcase).

My CPU (x3210) has a thermal spec of 85*C, and I thought this would give it an advantage over the Q6600's 71*C. The conclusion we reached was that this was not the case.

Are you saying I can run my CPU hotter than the Q6600 b/c of my increased Thermal Spec? According to this guide I should be able to run my CPU right up to the point of throttling (95*C Tj), and just be getting to "Hot".

Scale X: Quad x32x0: Tcase Max 85c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Default 1.372, TDP 100w, Delta 10c
-Tcase/Tjunction-
--85--/--95--95--95--95-- Hot
--80--/--90--90--90--90-- Warm
--75--/--85--85--85--85-- Safe
--25--/--35--35--35--35-- Cool

Does this look right? So, if CoreTemp says I'm at 85*C on all 4 cores I'm still 'safe'?

If so, I'm very glad i bought this CPU!

Well, I don't go that high on temps. I'm at a comfortable 63-65*C at 3.6GHz & 1.488v under load. If I did go that hot I'd be pushing way too much voltage or running on the stock heatsink.

My statements were more to show the previous findings here on the forum, and act as a devil's advocate. We basically came to the conclusion that Intel's Thermal Specification has nothing to do w/ the max Tcase. The only number to worry about is Tjmax, and it is wise to give yourself about a 20*C cushion from that. Some of your findings steer that way coincidentally, but the places where you have a conflict is when the Thermal Spec is lower, but Tjmax is still high. Here is where the specs don't really make sense. According to your interpretation it is w/n spec to have your core up to 100*C, but since your case can't be above 65*C (B3 Q6600 example) then for some reason the temperature of the case is the limiting factor. Why does it matter how hot the case is? The core is where all the delicate components are. The case is just a piece of metal.

What's w/ all this 'desktop' talk? Are you assuming my CPU is a mobile variety? The x3210 is just the server version of the Q6600 w/ one less multi, and it is not a mobile CPU by any means. The x3220 is just the server version of the Q6600...only difference is that the TDP is slightly higher (100W vs. 95W) & the Thermal specs are different (85*C vs. 71*C). Since the Intel Thermal Spec is based on TDP it kind of makes sense that the Thermal Spec is higher...this kind of takes away from the argument that it is the max Tcase, though.

Wow CompuTronix, that is a LOT of info that I am very interested in. I test Water Blocks on the side, so this info will be very beneficial to me! When I have a moment, I am going to slowly and methodically read this. I see you have left out Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool for generating LOAD or gathering temps. Nothing can load a CPU hotter than TAT... unfortunately it only works on C2D's and not quads... it is available on MY server, the address will not change if you wish to include it in your OP for download.

www.anonforums.com/builds/TAT.zip

Oh, this thread has been STICKY'D :D

nikhsub1, thank you very much for the Sticky. Also, if you check Section 8, TAT is discussed under Note 4.

Comp :cool:
Very nice! I use TAT in all my WB testing as I love the high load... You are right on about TAT, it loads about 15% - 20% above the TDP spec, wicked stuff.

hey +1 on this thread - this kinda info has been ultra hard to find.. and i keep finding that yall at this forums really really got ter knowlege down. ^^

Great post. Just built my first Quad Rig and the info is much appreciated. Look forward to seeing what I can do this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back