• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum and Copper in the same loop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NavyDood

For the better part of two years now, I have been running my Zalman ZM-WB2 with two Koolance Original Exos radiators. The radiators are aluminum and the Zalman has a copper base that is not anodized or anything to protect it. The aluminum housing for the Zalman is Anodized. The only thing I ever used for coolant is Toyota Red anti-freeze and filtered city water or distilled water.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I took the housing off. No corrosion or abnormalities.

Copper.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm I could cut the radiator open and look. Haven't thrown them away yet. Just by a visual they are clean too.

I just hack sawed the end off of the original radiator that I have been using for the past 3 years. I added a second radiator to the loop about a year ago.

KoolanceRad1.jpg

KoolanceRad2.jpg

I was going to throw it away anyhow. No need for it anymore. I hate having stuff lay around and I know it wouldn't have brought me any money that was worth my time.

I had been using the koolance exos for 3 years on three different builds/upgrades. It was trouble free other than changing the CPU WB when I went to socket 939. The 1/4" system was the little cooler that could for 3 years. I knew that it wouldn't be up to the task with my new AM2 6000+ and 8800GTS.

I just built the whole new system in my sig this weekend. I am using a Swiftech MCP350, Swiftech Apogee GT, Switech MCR220QP, Switech Micro Res, Koolance VID-278, and 3/8" tubing through out.

I gotta give huge accolades to the Swiftech Micro Res. It may be small, but man does it work awesome. I was bubble free in 5 minutes.

As long as you use like 20% antifreeze of so you can avoid corrosion. However, it is just best to avoid the entire issue and go with all copper as although it worked out OK in your case, I have seen one too many threads of people that have had corrosion problems.

That is why I started this post. There is tons of info in this watercooling forum and on the internet about having/using dissimilar metals in the same loop. Galvanic corrosion is your enemy if not properly set up. I guess the only point I am making is if you do the job right the first time, you "shouldn't" have any issues.

i have 10% antifreeze im getting the Black ICE GT Stealth 360 XFlow Triple Radiator - Black soon to replace

Back