• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P35-DS3R Vista Installation Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilley7997

Registered
Hello Everyone, I have some questions to throw out here and a problem that I can't quite resolve.

Currently I have a Mem Test running on this thing, but it's coming up with no errors thus far.

I have a P35-DS3R v2.0 Board. Haven't adjusted any of the bios settings yet. new G92 based 8800GTS card from BFG and 4GB of 1066 Crucial Ballistix RAM, and a Q6700 processor

Here's the problem, Running a Vista Home Premium Install on this machine it continuously locks up in the same spot. It will make it through the Copying files and to the 5th step of the Vista Install "Completing Installation" and lock up or restart the machine one time and then lock-up

Before I go into anything I wanted to get your all's opinon on this one. I read about boosting the voltage of the Ram to 2.2V since that's where the Ram is spec'd at anyway (I believe stock the MB is 1.8 right.)

Any other ideas as to what might be causing the issue, could it be the video card or ram or MB. I currently have the F7 version of the bios on the board as well. Any insights?

Unfortunately, passing Memtest doesn't guarantee a stable system. My thoughts would still be memory issues if you using a known good Vista disk. Start off with upping the memory voltage if you don't have it a 2.2V right now. Also, if these are 1GB sticks and the voltage adjustment doesn't work for you, remove two of them for now, maybe three, and try that. 2GB sticks, try one. Could be one bum stick. Good luck.

Alrighty, Help me out here before I do something I shouldn't. There is something not right about this whole situation.

I have the P35-DS3R, and 4GB of 1066 Ballistix installed.

I thought when I bought this ram that I would have to up the voltage to get it to run properly, you know, the whole 1.8, 2.2v thing.

Here is the deal, Memtest Finished last night on all 4 modules. There were a few errors.

I then tested each module individually, all passed in the same DIMM slot. Then I tried to Install Vista with one module installed and the same lock up type behavior was displayed. I then checked the BIOS again, and the VDIMM being reported in PC HEALTH STATUS is 2.34....And I haven't touched the Bios options yet. It's currently set to Normal.

So I am at a loss, am I looking at a bad board here? I thought the Normal or default setting for this board was 1.8v

do you have a different system that you would be able to test the mobo out with? if so then use different memory, psu, hdd, disc drives, video card and see if you still have the same symptoms... if not then switch over parts one at a time and it may give you the answer... but it does sound like it might be a motherboard

i'm having the same problem right now with the exact same board. the first time installed vista it worked fine, but now the second time around the install crashes.

iv tried it with only one stick of ram and upping the voltage but no luck.

Yes the DDR2 voltage is 1.8v default.

Have you had a successfull install with that vista DVD before ? Or is this the first time you try it?

I had a strange prob before with my vista DVD (that was new and never used) and it just hung up at completing installation, after searching for something broken in the system i ended up with a friends vista DVD and it worked just fine.
So i guess i had a faulty installation-DVD

Have you tried reseating the SATA & power cable to your DVD-rom and/or HDD? Or even tried any other sata-cable?

yes it succesfully installed the first time with the same DVD disc and DVD-ROM. what i'm trying now is setting the memory voltage at 2.0 and i also flashed the BIOS to latest version as someone said that the F9 version caused installation problems. will report back.

Last edited:
ok, flashing the bios to the latest version on my P35-DS3R v2.0 did the trick. after my first OS install i updated the bios but since then another version came out so the F9 version was causing the problem. i had also set the DDR2 voltage by +0.2

Well, I RMA'd the Memory and Board today, I'm 99% sure that the board is the problem, but whatever let them do what they want with it.

I did get Vista to install one time, and was running Prime95 on it for a bit just to play. Then I went back and started testing the Ram with memtest. It would make one pass successful then it would go all to hell.

I removed chips single tested them, Things would get all kinds of goofy.

Just for the fun of it then, I flashed to the new F10 Bios, and reset all the RAM timings and voltage to where they were at least somewhat stable on the F7 bios, and Memtest would immediately blow up upon booting.

Sent it back, we will try it again sometime soon.

Hi Everybody!! Sorry it's taken me so long to get this going. I got the board back and it turns out that it was bad. The sent me a new one and I've got it here and running, The Vista Installation went down with no problem, and Currently firing through a memtest, if I can get 3 stable passes I will probably continue with my build-out here, already ran prime 95 for a couple hours and watched temps just to check and see if it would lock up, wanted to verify all hardware before Installing the watercooling stuff.

Anyways, I do have a few more questions if I everyone can help. I have the DS3R rev 2.1 with the new f11 bios.

I read all over this forum about running your memory at 1:1. I have the crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 1066Mhz, The odd part about this is at +.4v (Should be 2.2v)for the ram, I would get an intermittent error in Memtest, I uped it to +.5 and so far it's looking better. Anyone have any concerns with this?

If I understand correctly, this would mean that my FSB needs to go to 533, and my mulitplier to 2.0? So obviously this means the CPU Multiplier needs to drop to whatever it can, Lowest this Q6700 can go is 6. That would be pushing 3.2, which I think when I finish the case set-up with the watercooling I should be able to do..but did I say that all right? or am I confused??

Oh and why is there Mutliple entries for the same Mulitplier value under the Ram settings on this board, that is slightly confusing, what exactly do they mean?

Thanks for all the help so far, this has been a very helpful forum for my first watercooled and OC'd system. I have built a few computers in the past, but never oc'd or watercooled any of them, didn't have the funds when I was younger, always wanted too, so thank you all for the help!

Back