• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Report :: Buffalo FireStix 2x1GB PC2-9600 CL5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3oh6

buffalo_logo.gif

This is sort of a blast from the past but some folks have been asking about DDR2 modules here so I decided to post this OC Report of some of my better well-rounded DDR2 kits. Buffalo Technology has developed a fairly well known brand with their FireStix line of memory and really gotten their foot in the door with the enthusiast. They were known as one of the better values throughout enthusiast forums while DDR2 prices were still fairly high offering D9GMH/D9GKX at a better price than most other manufacturers. Now that DDR2 prices have dropped through the floor, the value the FireStix line offered isn't really there anymore.

firestix_logo-1.png

As always, I provide full disclosure with any info I post and this report is no different. I received these modules directly from Buffalo Technology as a review sample but I was assured that they were your average retail sample sent from the same place they would have been sent from had I ordered them myself. Here are the basic specifications of these modules:

Code:
* Part #FSX1200D2D-K2G
* 2GB kit (2 x 1024MB)
* DDR2-1200 5-6-6 @ 2.3v
* 2x 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs
* Non-ECC, Unbuffered
* Aluminum heat spreader with thermally-conductive adhesive
* Lifetime Warranty

These are fairly hard to find modules but I was still able to find them at NCIX up here in Canada. At the time of writing this, they were listed for $375 CND. Of course, you can also purchase these modules directly from Buffalo for $289 USD. Hopefully NCIX just has them listed for a higher price until they come in stock. I hate how NCIX gouges certain items because they are the only supplier in Canada but what can you do? Either way, let's have a quick look at the package and the modules themselves.

Last edited:
Package:

Package:
Click for full size...

Buffalo appears to have made a slight revision to the blister pack that they ship their modules in. You'll notice in the images above that the outside rim of the entire package is heat-stamped and sealed. On top of this, the back also has a couple of grooves molded in that really gives the package a lot of rigidity.

I don't really think the typical blister pack needed these enhancements for regular sized modules but this package certainly is the most secure I have seen memory come in. The only downside is the fact that it is impossible to open without a weapon and the package gets chewed up pretty good in the process.

The Modules:

Modules:
Click for full size...

If you saw my last OC Report of the PC2-8000 FireStix, you will notice that there have been no changes to the FireStix heatspreaders since then. These DDR1200 sticks come with a standard aluminum heatspreader secured with your run of the mill thermal tape. Popping the heatspreaders off these modules is fairly easy but you still have to take great care in doing so. As expected, Micron D9GKX are the ICs used on these modules. The PCB appears to still be made by Dynamic with the part #2D286NF-BA. Unfortunately, I cannot find any more info on this PCB so it is tough to say whether it is still a 6-layer design of if they have made the jump to an 8-layer PCB like many other manufacturers have with high-end modules.

Last edited:
The P5B-Dlx is still tops in my books:

P5B-Dlx Setup:
Click for full size...

I will be utilizing my trusty P5B-Dlx setup for testing and if I get lucky, I will have my hands on an IP-35 Pro for long enough to do testing on P35 while I have this kit. As you can see, I always use active cooling on the memory regardless of voltage being run and the testing will only go up to 2.45v on the P5B-Dlx as I haven't volt modded the vDIMM on this board. Here is the complete list of hardware used:
Code:
[b]Intel 965P Setup:[/b]
MB:          Asus P5B-Dlx Wifi Rev 1.03G BIOS-0804 (vcore / vmch mods)
CPU:         Intel C2D E6600 (L629B383)
CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120
GPU:         Biostar 7600GS 256MB DDR3
NB Cooling:  Zalman ZM-NB47J
PSU:         Silverstone Zeus 560W
HD:          Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ
FANS:        Adda AD1212MS-A73GL (80CFM @ 2000RPM)

Ambient Temperature: 22-23C
My standard disclaimer before we see the numbers:
First, the voltage listed in each screenshot is measured with a digital multi-meter from the vDIMM output coil. My board tends to over-volt slightly at the various voltage settings.

Second, I am only interested in dual 32M SPi stability for my overclocking reports. I have found dual 32M stable with tight secondaries usually means Prime / Win Memtest stable within a few MHz at the same voltage. Don't confuse dual 32M stable with 24/7 stable but it is pretty close most of the time.

Third, and most important, these results are from one kit clocked on one motherboard. Your results are certainly going to be different because no single kit of memory is the same and every motherboard handles memory differently. Again, better or worse, results will vary from user to user and kit to kit.

Last edited:
Dual 32M SPi Stability Testing:

P5B-Dlx Results:
965p_results-1.png
3-3-3-x:
Intel P965x:
Click link for full size screenshot including Memset...
375MHz :: 2.02v | 392MHz :: 2.12v | 421MHz :: 2.26v | 437MHz :: 2.37v | 446MHz :: 2.47v
It appears that my slump of getting dog sticks at anything but 5-5-5 has been broken. These PC2-9600 FireStix were quite impressive at 3-3-3 timings. Sub-timings are reasonably tight throughout the frequency scale as well making this one impressive kit. I did try running 3-4-3 timings after 3-3-3 and gained next to nothing at the few voltages stops that I tried. This had me concerned that 4-4-4 was not going to run well.

4-4-4-x:
Intel P965x:
481MHz :: 2.02v | 502MHz :: 2.12v | 537MHz :: 2.26v | 555MHz :: 2.37v | 574MHz :: 2.47v
4-4-4 timings started out relatively impressive at low voltage. They also scaled with voltage pretty well but nothing too impressive. Keep in mind, my standards are fairly high and I am still looking for that elusive 4-4-4 600Mhz @ 2.45v or less kit of memory for benching. being dual 32M stable means that at 2.6v, possibly even 2.55v, this kit should be single 32M stable at 4-4-4 600MHz which is mighty nice to be truthfully honest. i just don't like running that high voltage, even for benching.

5-5-5-x:
Intel P965x:
586MHz :: 2.02v | 607MHz :: 2.12v | 645MHz :: 2.26v | 651MHz :: 2.37v
This is where the PC2-9600 FireStix really light it up. At a paultry 2.12v, this kit spit out dual 32M Spi at 600MHz with ease. Sub-timings at 600MHz are even quite impressive. Naturally the sub-timings have to loosen up past 600MHz but remained fairly tight. Topping out at 650MHz is not the limit of these sticks rather my motherboard. I have seen it before and will see it again. I really want to get these sticks on a P35 chipset board that handles memory as well because they would absolutely scream.

The Conclusion:

Conclusion:
That about finishes up what I had planned for this kit and this OC Report. I hope you find it helpful in your search for DDR2 memory. The FireStix are currently my best well-rounded kit as far as timing sets goes and are actually my best clocking CL3 kit that I have come across.

Again, keep in mind, these results are all from a single kit of memory and like everything else in overclocking...nothing is guaranteed so don't assume that every single kit of this memory will perform the same. If your lucky, your kit will be better than mine 🆙

Great review! I like how you organized the data. Very pro like. My question is though, isnt that a little too much voltage to put into those sticks. It sound like anyone pumping more than 2.3 volts is killing ram (esp. D9's).

thanks, and yes, i do go a little high with voltage in my reports. there are always guys who want to see what memory can do at benching voltages as opposed to just 24/7 voltages. personally, i wouldn't go over 2.2v for DDR2 24/7 use, and that is why i like to show the memories capabilities from 2.0v and up...to give everyone the info they are looking for.

this particular kit has been great running DDR2-800 CL3, DDR2-1000 CL4, and DDR2-1200 CL5 24/7 at less than 2.20v in all situations. of course, not all samples are going to be as good and some will be better, but i have had a lot of memory and this is the only kit that does the above timing sets at the frequencies i just listed.

Very nice write-up, thanks for the info!

Will you be updating this thread with the new numbers from the P35 board?
thanks, sadly no. i don't think i will have any time in the forseeable future to update the FireStix results with clocks from the IP35-Pro. the real thing i wanted to see on the IP35-Pro was the higher 5-5-5 clocks but sadly i hit a wall around 620MHz at rather low voltage. this was on an early BIOS so perhaps i should find some time and pull it out again and see what i can make happen.

Back