• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking out high quality headphones.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealAlex

TBH I don't understand the specs either, but I've had the HD555 pair for a few years and they're the best headphones I've ever used. I use them for super serial cs and music as well. Before these I tried PC155s and another HD series, in addition to all my roommates' headphones, and I like mine the best.

TBH I don't understand the specs either, but I've had the HD555 pair for a few years and they're the best headphones I've ever used. I use them for super serial cs and music as well. Before these I tried PC155s and another HD series, in addition to all my roommates' headphones, and I like mine the best.
In the reviews, some people say the headphones leak sound. Would I be able to play with them at night without waking up my parents ?

Yes, I agree that the design causes it to leak sound, but it's barely noticeable. In my dorm room there's usually at least 4 of us in there, and only when my music is way too loud (or no replaygain used) can anyone else notice it. At regular listening volume it seems like it doesn't leak at all. Playing games should be no problem though.

Last edited:
I've been looking at these Sennheiser's
HD280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328
HD550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106392

Which one is better? I'm clueless as to the specifications...
I play games so hearing someone sneak up on me is important but I also love listening to music so that's important too :(

Or is there some other pair I should be looking at?

I've had my pair of Sennheiser HD280s for about 8 years now and they still produce some of the best quality sound in their price range.

I'm going to be upgrading early next year to the HD595s, which I would highly suggest if you want to splurge. Otherwise, the 280s are a very decent, durable pair.

Heck... when I do get the 595s, the 280s become my traveling pair. ^^

my vote is for the sony mdr 600 or v6.
i have been using the 600 for almost 8yrs now.
sound is still phenominal. cant go wrong with these.
sound does not leak, once u put them on, u wont hear anything else.
my only complaint is it gives me hat hair :p

Those are pretty old omniskillz, have you used them for gaming? Same with the HD280's...they're old so I don't know if they would be able to provide me the directional sound I need in gaming. Leaning towards the HD550's now.

yeah, im a gamer.
used to be almost pro gamer in the quake 3 days :)
fatal1ty wore mdr-600s
they are great and relatively cheap for 70 us dollars.
try them out man

Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80ohm $149 @ eBay
Audio-Technica AD700 (leakes some sound)
Audio-Technica A700 (closed) both of these can be had for around $100-130
Equation Audio RP-21 ~$80

They are all excellent cans, just pick the one that fits your budget

Apparently not all Headphones are 5.1 compatible?.. and the open ear headphones cause problems at night according to many reviews I've been reading...
It's too difficult to find good headphones :(

5.1 compatible? They're all stereo except the special surround phones made with multiple drivers in each ear. Everything I've read suggests they sound like crap. Just go with some good stereo phones. The HD555's are supposed to be nice. The Audio Technica's are well reviewed as well and if the A700's sound anywhere near as good as my A900's then they're great(IMO). I haven't heard the Beyer Dynamics or the Equations but I know an Ocforums member (Elluzion) got ear problems from all the bass of the DT770's. Everyone on Headfi seems to love them though. oh yeah I forgot to mention that the hd555's and DT770's need an amp to sound best because of their higher impedence. That was a big selling point of the audio technicas for me since i didn't want to shell out more $ for the amp.

HD 555's ROCK!!! I would recommend them with a good sound card! I can hear clear across a counter strike source map, i love it! But they also sound phenomenal for music!

Back