• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single Drive Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VinnyTAMU

Here is my setup:
  • AMD AM2 setup (1.9 Ghz Brisbane, ECS 6100/405 chipset)
  • Installed VISTA Ultimate (32-bit) as entire (465Gb) partition
  • Set jumper to 3.0Gbs
  • Installed nForce SMBus, SMU, and Ethernet drivers
  • Disabled "Index this drive for faster searching"
  • Had "Enable write caching on the disk" for each test
  • Tests 2 & 3 had "Enable advanced performance" checked in addition to above
  • Tests 1 & 2 were Long bench (32mb zones) tests
  • Test 3 was the Quick bench (8mb zone) test
Test 1:
Test_001.jpg

Test 2:
Test_002.jpg

Test 3:
Test_003.jpg

CPU-Z:
Details.jpg

forget what i typed, the numbers just look low to me since im use to seeing the ICHxR's used ...

for the price they cant be beat!

I ran this one last night when I first got Windows set up. It's Intel Matrix RAID-0 with 128k stripe.

hdtachgc8.jpg

I can do a few more runs to get an average if you want.

subscribed.. i've been waiting to see this for a while. it's supposedly pretty quiet too (good for the HTPC)... did you notice it being noisy/quiet?

I was going to buy 4 500's for a RAID 5 storage array on a server I'm putting together, then I saw the Anand thing and chose 150GB Raptor X's instead. I'm starting to wonder if that was a good choice.

How many Raptors did you get? Those are hella fast drives, especially in RAID. :beer: But you're probably thinking the price/performance on those 500s is pretty darn good.

Unfortunately a Perc 5/i, I was close to talking the buyer into a ground up SuperMicro but they balked at the last minute.

subscribed.. i've been waiting to see this for a while. it's supposedly pretty quiet too (good for the HTPC)... did you notice it being noisy/quiet?

It was very quite for me. My whole idea with going with the Brisbane was to get my rig as quite as possible, and compaired to my Deskstar T7K250 I could not hear this drive.

I wish I had two of these to raid but only had enough to get one. Hopefully someone will buy four of these for a matrix raid :beer:

2 74gb 16mb raptors in matrix raid

40gb matrix raid 0 right after fresh install
HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volume42.png

50gb matrix raid 0 right after fresh install
HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volume50gb.png

Last edited:
Back