• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Official Xeon x32x0 OC Thread*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason4207

I know a few of you guys have gotten this CPU recently, and I think an official thread is in order. I'm not too happy w/ my 1.325 VID, but that has yet to prove a bad CPU (afaik).

Please post the following info:

CPU: x3210 (un-lapped)
VID: 1.325
Batch/Pack-Date: L723A973-8/7/07
Max OC: 3.6GHz (8x450)
Vcore/CPU-Z (1.41) voltage (idle/load): 1.55v/1.528v/1.536v
MoBo & BIOS: P5K-Premium 0204
Cooling: U-120-X (un-lapped)
Stability: 45min P95.4
Temps (idle/load/ambient): 44-45-40-39/75-75-72-72/~27

x32x0mq4.jpg

OK...starting to feel a little better about this proc. I did a little BIOS tweaking, and right now I'm at 3.6GHz (8x450)...on air! I've got the Vcore cranked right now at 1.55v, but I think it'll run w/ less. The "CPU Voltage Reference" setting made a lot of difference. It wouldn't even start CoreTemp (Windows booted, though) w/ it set on Auto @ 1.55v, but now it's chugging along w/ it set at x63 (I'm typing from the new rig while P95 is running!). My temps are high...75/75/72/72, but I'm assuming this Xeon can take the punishment. As I said I think it'll run w/ a lower Vcore, so I should be able to drop temps a little at least.

36ghzca1.jpg

Oh, and I'm a little :beer:, so if you have any ideas on how to make this thread look/feel better let me know!

Last edited:
Nice, glad you got everthing up and running.

Like you said, Temps are tttoasty.

*subscribed to this thread*

I'd love to see 3.6 , with those temps though , might not be a good idea for a 24/7 clock.

I was able to get up to 3.68GHz...wasn't very stable, though. Even at 1.6v. Anybody got a spare egg they want fried?

368ghzog3.jpg

I even got up to 3.77GHz @ 1.6v, but crashed once I moved the mouse.

I think I may be able to get a little more out of this CPU if I play w/ the reference voltage, but I'm good for now. Time to go to bed.

Going back to 3.6GHz I dropped the Vcore a notch, and now CPU-Z is reading 1.512v at idle. Temps are 40-42-37-37. At load CPU-Z is reading 1.52 and temps are 73-73-69-69 after a few minutes.

I love the way this MoBo shows negative Vdroop!

1.5GHz OC...not bad! 69% OC on a retail quad!!

Another notch down on the Vcore, and still going! CPU-Z is reading 1.512v at load 73-73-70-70 after 15 mins. 1.504v at idle.

I know it's still hot, but...I don't know...do you guys think this CPU can take it? Under actual use it won't get this hot anyway. Remember the thermal spec is 85* for this CPU. Comments?

Well as a server CPU it is designed to run 24/7 at high temps, so I say give it more juice, your mobo can candle it, is your RAM stable?

Maybe you should consider water cooling it?

System

Note, ran quad Super Pi 32M with realtime priority but with following windows running at same time but all SET to LOW Priority - hence why AI Suite and coretemp didn't update temps etc as Super Pi was hogging all the cpu time :)
  • 4x cpuz windows
  • 1x memset window
  • 1x Asus AI Suite window
  • 1x coretemp 0.94 window

Digital Camera shots:

Quad 32M running

click image below for full screenshot

Quad 32M Complete

cpuz_validated.png

Another notch down on the Vcore, and still going! CPU-Z is reading 1.512v at load 73-73-70-70 after 15 mins. 1.504v at idle.

I know it's still hot, but...I don't know...do you guys think this CPU can take it? Under actual use it won't get this hot anyway. Remember the thermal spec is 85* for this CPU. Comments?

Lap the cpu and heatsink if you havent already. Should drop you down under 70 and all four cores will be dead even on the temps.

Chuck

Lap the cpu and heatsink if you havent already. Should drop you down under 70 and all four cores will be dead even on the temps.

Chuck

I'm not convinced lapping is the solution. I do get wide-eyed when I see those pretty Cu reflections, though. It justs seems to me that if your HS is convex, and your CPU is concave then if you get lucky, and they have the same curvature, then you could potentially have more surface area contact as opposed to lapping.

Currently everything is using the stock spring-screws. I might throw some washers in there to give a little more tension, though. I may try a hard-mount, but when I went to the local hardware store the other day they didn't have screws the same thread as the stock one's. I may need to try Lowe's or Radio-Shack. I think a hard-mount will allow me to tweak the heat distribution a little better. There's a thread about it somewhere. 3* delta at load isn't bad, though.

I don't think my temps are that high for the amount of voltage I'm putting in there. Lapping is a huge chore, and I'm not ready to kill my Intel warranty just yet. I might go H2O, but if this CPU is designed to take these temps then why not give it what it asks for!:burn:

Last edited:
eva2000,

Just out of curiosity, where do you get those ES chips? You got any old one's lying around going to waste? :bday:

Awesome OC EVA on that X3230, such low temps, I NEED one right now !!

Yea but are post-SPi run temps going to be equal to Orthos/quad Prime95 while they're running? Water is nice but that's a heck of a water setup if those are full-on load temps :eek: The x3230 is pretty neat though ;) ... a q6700 in Xeon form, maybe no unlocked multi like a QX though.

I've managed to get my temps down a bit. I'm hovering around 70* now at full load, 39* at idle.

36ghz14875v063xno5.jpg

I have the Vcore set to 1.4875v in BIOS w/ reference voltage set to 0.63x. Clock Over-Charging mode set to 1v. 1.475 gave me a P95 error after about 20 minutes.

CPU: x3210 (un-lapped)
VID: 1.325
Batch/Pack-Date: L723A973-8/7/07
Max OC: 3.6GHz (8x450)
Vcore in BIOS/CPU-Z (beta) voltage (idle/load): 1.4875v/1.464v/1.472v
MoBo & BIOS: P5K-Premium 0204
Cooling: U-120-X (un-lapped)
Stability: 30min P95-25.4.1
Temps (idle/load/ambient): 39-40-37-37/71-71-67-67/~27 CoreTemp 0.95.4

Things are looking good. This might be close to my final 24/7 I think. I'm guessing temps will be in the mid to upper 50's when gaming...I'll have to wait and see on that. My old Prescott P4 idles around 40*, and loads around 55* when gaming, so this may be in the same league temps wise...I'm happy!

I still have to see what the FSB can do, how far the RAM can go, how tight the RAM can go, and figure out my best UVOC for Bing...and OC my graphics card! So many things, so little time! :beer:

That's very nice especially for air! I guess you're happy now that you chose the 3210 g0 ;) If you want to do an interesting test for the idea about the higher temperature allowance try a program like Throttlewatch (or one that will work with quads) and artificially increase the temps, remove the fan or slow it down maybe, and see when it throttles.

I've seriously considered doing the throttle test. I may do it...just not yet. Assuming CoreTemp isn't too far off my Tjunction at 70* would put my Tcase at 55*...60* max. Well below Intel's spec. 1.6v wasn't getting me very far, but I didn't try increasing my FSB, NB voltages beyond their current medium settings. I'm going to drop the multi, and see if my FSB is holding me back. If so, I may be able to get a little higher w/ some more voltage to the NB & FSB. I don't want to go too high on temps w/o doing the throttle test, though, so I can have a good feel on where my cut-off temp should be.

And how much voltage can I give this chip? 1.7v on air sounds ridiculous, but if it can take the heat, why not? 1.7v at sub-zero isn't any different than 1.7v on air except for temps, right? I mean 100* isn't going to melt metal. It's the current that basically blows a pathway like a fuse inside the chip, right? Someone offer some comments here if you know the physics of how this works.

Right now I'm checking out the UVOC, and am at the lowest setting of 1.1v, and have the FSB up to 300. Basically I'm running it at Q6600 speed w/ a bit more FSB. Solid as a rock after 40mins! 333FSB gave 3 P95 errors almost instantly, though, at this low voltage.

Oh, and yes...I'm very happy I got the G0 x3210 now!!! :bday:

I highly recommend this chip to anyone looking for the best quad deal right now.

Did you find any guides on tweaking the P5K Prem BIOS? Quite frankly I don't know what some of the settings mean and do. For example '0.63x' reference voltage :confused:

I found this one for the deluxe, and it helped a lot. He's got that reference voltage set to auto (I haven't read to the bottom yet, though), but I played w/ it. Basically I wasn't stable at all on auto at 3.6, but I turned it 0.63x, and everything worked. I lowered my Vcore until I started failing P95, and then tried 0.57x, 0.59x, & 0.61x. 0.57 & 0.59 were failing P95 pretty quick, but 0.61 & 0.63 weren't. I'm tending to think 0.63 is the best, but I'm still going to play w/ 0.61 some more later.

GT, what happened to your DS3R?

Thanks for the link. I just like to know what the settings mean and do before I go changing them ;) *edit* well he doesn't seem to know what they mean either hehe. Aah well.

Back