• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are SAS drives backwards compatible with SATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You will need a seperate SAS controller card, as they are not compatible with SATA controllers.

I think you need a thew things to make SCSI work, the controller the hard drive and i think you need a 'terminator'

1. An Initiator is a device that originates device service and task management requests to be processed by a target device and receives responses for the same requests from other target devices. Initiators may be provided as an on-board component on the motherboard (as is the case with many server-oriented motherboards) or as an add-on host bus adapter.
  2. A Target is a device containing logical units and target ports that receives device service and task management requests for processing and sends responses for the same requests to initiator devices. A target device could be a hard disk or a disk array system.
  3. A Service Delivery Subsystem is the part of an I/O system that transmits information between an initiator and a target. Typically cables connecting an initiator and target with or without expanders and backplanes constitute a service delivery subsystem.
  4. Expanders are devices that are part of a service delivery subsystem and facilitate communication between SAS devices. It facilitates connection of multiple SAS End devices to a single initiator port.
That's what you need to make SAS work.

WTF.... a 147gb 10k rpm drive for $18... what's the catch? It's not the easiest thing to setup but damn... get 4 of these setup with raid and you'll get some serious speed... for way cheaper than raptors... a sas controller costs about $300 or so.

These drives are different breed from ordinary plain desktop drive, yes they're fast, but also very noisy/loud & really hot, be prepare to have better airflow than the usual desktop does.

I don't personally have one yet, but the servers that I have at work are PERC 5i controllers in a couple of Dell servers. If I actually get these drives, I will probably end up buying a controller for them and put them in my current or a future build.

How well would these do in a gaming enviroment? Shouldn't really matter at all, but I imagine they're pretty damn loud, I doubt they're any hotter than my raptor but could be... the controller I'm looking at is about $170 and has 4 sas ports on it.

Yeah, I'm doubting you'd see much of an improvement over your Raptor. Game loading time is somewhat dependent on your hard drive speed, but once you have enough, it becomes processor based. Hard drive speed isn't a concern in-game as long as you have enough RAM, and it looks like you have plenty of that.

Idk just yet... I very well might ebay them or sell them to someone locally... If I can even sell 1, then I should be able to come out even, if I sell 2 I should be able to grab a controller too... I bet if we sell all 24 of them for say $100 each, they'll go fast as hell... so if we do make some profit, I'd love to keep a few and use em.

systemhost said:
Idk just yet... I very well might ebay them or sell them to someone locally... If I can even sell 1, then I should be able to come out even, if I sell 2 I should be able to grab a controller too... I bet if we sell all 24 of them for say $100 each, they'll go fast as hell... so if we do make some profit, I'd love to keep a few and use em.

ahh ok... i wonder how and why dell is selling these things for soo cheap.

i mean 7.35gb/$ and at 10k rpm... thats insane.

Back